• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you remember your first comic book?

24 posts in this topic

I was like 5 or 6 and I was sitting on the floor in the basement playing with my to toys and my father came home from work and handed me a gold key star trek comic. I opened the first page and then threw it in the corner and continued playing with my toys. It wasn't until 6 years later when 3 of my friends starting collecting that I got interested in comics. What is your first comic experience?

When I was 9 years old my cousin gave my brother and I about 40 beat up Marvels and DCs. We started reading them in alphabetical order and the first book was Action Comics #478. I still have all 40 books 31 years later.

Magnus Robot Fighter #14 and Top Cat #16. My mom bought them for me to look at while we waited for my dad to get off work one day. I had them for a long time. But I didn't start actually buying comics until much later, when I had my own spending money.

Oh, and there were a bunch of Twilight Zones at the barber shop.

Spiderman #198 for 40 cents while visiting my grandmother in Toronto.

Still remember the corner store and the book.

That was after a summer of visiting my cousins in Kansas and reading their comics (what else is there to do in Kansas!) and playing pretend super-hero (let's just say Superboy had help!).

My first book was actually 4 books. Walking into a fingerhut outlet store with our mother, my sister and I were each given a dollar (a HUGE rarity for us) to buy whatever we wanted. Being an outlet store, they had many items in bulk and it wasn't until I happened upon a certain aisle, that I knew how my dollar would be spent. They had stacks of comic books, but many stacks of the SAME comic book. I remember there being 5 different Marvel comics. All had 30 cent cover prices, but each had a tiny 25 cent orange sticker on the cover. Having only a dollar, I had to make a cut. I don't remember what didn't make the cut, only what did: IRONMAN #100, DEFENDERS #49, CONAN #71 and MARVEL TALES #81. I no longer have any of those original copies, but have replaced them with others. Memories for a lifetime :headbang:

To the best of my recollection, this might be it -

Strange # 153 -

153.jpg

Dated Sept. 1982, I am fairly sure I bought during a vacation in August 1982 and that was a gateway to many others.

It was a Batman comic from the late sixties, I'm pretty sure it was #204. I also have strong memories of Batman #'s 207, 208(80 Page Giant :cloud9: ) and 210.

Comics.jpg

These were my first comics, originally bought from the late 1960s to Fall 1975. Back in the 1980s, I scoured comic shops everywhere to find these replacement copies. Since a lot of the originals were coverless, many of these were the first time I'd seen the covers.

It would have been a lot easier if ebay existed then. But, the thrill was in the hunt.

It was a box of westerns I found in a shed back in the 70's. I was working on a farm at the time for a relative. They were mostly in poor condition, due to the poor storage area. I was fascinated with the ones that did have covers. Although I didn't actively collect for the next 25 years, I did often think of how cool those books were.

g.a.tor would have y'all think my first one was obidiah oldbook. but it wasn't.

....was it your second ? :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. My first was a Turok .....which one ? who knows? My next experience was a stack of several hundred that my Aunt ( a rookie High Shool Gym Teacher at the time with a convertable Chevelle :cloud9: ) split between my cousins and I .....every now and then I see an old D.C. ,that I haven't seen since THEN, that literally blows me away with the lost memory.

My first comic was a used copy of Daredevil 33 (Marvel version). My older brother's friend came over with a box of comics and the first one I pulled out the box was that Daredevil. I actually still have it tucked away in a box. My brother's friends name is Terry Disbro, still remember him after 38 years!

I remember my first comic being Batman #251...

I was around 8 or 9 yrs old and my mother took me to the corner store and asked me to choose any comic book on the rack.

I saw the Joker cover and chose that book.

I do remember this like it was yesterday,,This purchase for me was a seed that led to my comic book addiction,,

Thanks Mom!!!!

I remember my first two comics were The Flintstones, purchase price was 20 cents each and it was around 1973-4. I was 4 or 5 at the time and I left them at my cousin's house.

I was alerted later on that the comics met an untimely demise at the hands of my 2 year old cousin.