• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOS #92 CGC 9.6 $8,250.00

129 posts in this topic

To me, HoS 92 is the first Swamp Thing, no matter how much it irks my pocketbook, or what kind of creative theory somebody comes up with otherwise. Sure, there have been legit and convincing points made on the "prototype" side, but in the end I stay with OS on this. blush.gif

First & foremost, the story is called "Swamp Thing." Secondly, it was done by the same creative team who did the series. Third, the entire series concept/origin is basically the same as what was put forth in the HoS tale albeit with name changes.

insane.gif As for Moore & his "earth elemental" concept fouling the waters there is a classic comic industry way to set things straight. Get a GOOD writer like Bruce Jones to come up with a plot that "reveals" that Alec Holland was actually Alex Olsen the entire time, but his brain had been clouded by a root or some crazy fungus (psylocibin?!), thus making him perceive things incorrectly the entire time. Bam! You then have "perfect comic book continuity" all along! acclaim.gif (Hey! I never said I WAS a good writer! Maybe I'd make a good editor though! insane.gif)

You see, it is moot arguements like this that make people raise eyebrows at comic fans sign-rantpost.gif This is why I love the horror anthology short story genre; it is almost never complicated with inane continuity issues except this book. It is pure and simple entertainment delivered quicly like the buzz a couple nice cold ones brings. Speaking of delivery, POV you need to move if your pizza is gettin' there cold! Dang, even here in Ohio my pizza comes good and hot!! cloud9.gif

Keith!

You really post FAR too infrequently here! You mUST post more!

Actually, I either make my own pizza or go to a place here in SF that makes a good approxiamtion of those thin crusted Neapolitan/Sicilian pizzas! When I was in Sicily Christmas 2002 I ate a LOT of them and were they ever great!

As far as the story being called "Swamp Thing" that CAN be a trap here in the "prototype???" debate. I mean, Aunt May and Uncle Ben were called - well, Aunt May and Uncle Ben. And were drawn by Ditko and looed danred like the ASM May/Ben of ASM. But many is not most still see them as a prototype, even though they were both Diko drawn.

It is a strange realm! But a fascinating one! And please post more. And I hesitate to ask but any idea when #4 is gonna come out? thumbsup2.gif

I just stick with reality and leave the ever-changing retcon fiction to the hacks.

This is actually one of the funniest lines I've ever read. We're talking about a giant, green, walking, talking, intelligent plant creature that stars in a comic book called Swamp Thing and you want to stick to reality. Nice.

At The Outer Limits comc shop Massachusetts, Steve Higgins (the owner) and some of us customers were discussing the then-upcoming LOIS AND CLARK tv show. At the same time was another new show - SEA-something - the show with Stacy Haiduck and "starring" a talking dolphin and a submarine. Anyway, Steve said that submarine show looked silly because the talking dolphni was so far-fetched, and that he was interested in LOIS AND CLARK. So I said "OK, you have trouble with a talking dolphin but see nothing far-fetched about an alien baby shot from a spacehip, landing on earth, that can fly, has super-strength, invulnerability and x-ray vision?" We all broke up, but it IS an interesting perceptive thing.

i've tried to follow this thread. i really have. but i got lost after 6 pages. anyway, i was interested in lois and clark because of terri hatcher.

anyway, i was interested in lois and clark because of terri hatcher.

You weren't the only one. But I think the show, at least in its first couple of years, was just great. The ensemble cast was just great. Loved Jonathan and Martha. Sure the whole thing was kind of time-shifted to the then-present but certainly no more than Smallville. It took me a long time to actually have some appreciation for Smallville, but L&C hooked me right away. The sprirt of the show was just so spot on.

how many prototype designations actually have the same origin? Usually they are prototypes in appearance only.

But they didn't have the same origin until Moore decided to retcon the whole history 11 years later. That's the problem here.....OS listed HOS #92 as the 1st appearance before the retcon came into effect. Before that they were two different characters altogether.

JC's Bulleye analogy fits perfectly here.....

Jim

by same origin i mean they both got swampy in a lab explosion

thumbsup2.gif Gotcha...but still two totally separate characters and nothing, until Moore's retcon, mentioned or suggested a continuity link between the two.

And to add some additional info....I believe Overstreet used to list Nick Fury #15 as the first appearance of Bulleye but have since modified the listing.

Jim

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but I believe there was another prototype "Swamp Thing" in HOM 195.

Yep, and in recent times that book has seen quite a big jump, but still affordable for $300 or so for a CGC 9.6 copy...