• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Premium Membership - Sounds Too Good To Be True?

28 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I did a search and could not find any previous threads about this. Also, I am not a shill. I am genuinely curious about this.

I am thinking about getting a Premium membership to CGC.

The main reason for this is the coupon for 4 free "standard" submissions. (The direct submissions and 10% discount are good too...)

Normally, a "standard" submission is $60/book. Therefore, 4 "standard" submissions would cost $240.00. With the coupon, this is reduced to about $31.25/book (which is less than the Economy tier), for a total of $125 (membership fee).

Also, "standard" submission turnaround time is listed as anywhere from 40-100 business days (per CGC's website today). With the coupon, it apparently gives you a 15 day turnaround time.

Therefore, my question is, am I missing something? Is there a downside to the coupon? Is there a limit on the age of the book I submit (like there is in the "modern" tier), etc?

It really does sound too good to be true as I doubt I would submit many more than 4 books a year anyways.

Thanks!

If you are planning on submitting at least 3-4 books to CGC with a value somewhere in the $500-1000 range, there are no downsides to the Premium membership - it'll pay for itself with the first submission.

The Standard tier has a 15 day turnaround time no matter whether you're using the coupon or not, though.

If you are planning on submitting at least 3-4 books to CGC with a value somewhere in the $500-1000 range, there are no downsides to the Premium membership - it'll pay for itself with the first submission.

The Standard tier has a 15 day turnaround time no matter whether you're using the coupon or not, though.

Well, I don't have any books worth that much, but the 4 free submissions with the coupon are still cheaper than submitting 4 books under the "economy" tier ($31.25 per book rather than $35/book). The coupon also guarantees a far quicker turnaround.

So, it seems like a no lose scenario if I was already going to submit 4 "economy" tier books anyways. Right???

Thanks.

Was it $99 or $109 last year. I just checked my coupon, letter and membership card from last year but, it doesn't say the membership fee.

As far as I recall it was $99 if you were just renewing an existing membership, but $109 if you were a new member.

The three coupons you used to get were Express coupons, though - good for books up for $3,000 (versus the current 4 Standard coupons, good for books up to $1,000)

Was it $99 or $109 last year. I just checked my coupon, letter and membership card from last year but, it doesn't say the membership fee.

As far as I recall it was $99 if you were just renewing an existing membership, but $109 if you were a new member.

The three coupons you used to get were Express coupons, though - good for books up for $3,000 (versus the current 4 Standard coupons, good for books up to $1,000)

Well, I only have 1 HG Hi-Yo Silver so far to submit for my wife. lol Hopefully, I can find a few inexpensive books before October.

I got mine in November, just submitted the books this month.

My certificate said 3 books, but when I printed the PDF order form it said $1,000 limit (probably because of the newer coupons) anyways, I would have sent more valuable books had it been made clearer that the 3 book certs were upo to 3k each and the 4 book certs were only 1k each.

My certificate said 3 books, but when I printed the PDF order form it said $1,000 limit (probably because of the newer coupons) anyways, I would have sent more valuable books had it been made clearer that the 3 book certs were upo to 3k each and the 4 book certs were only 1k each.

I got mine October 20th It says for 3 books under 3K each, with a 20 day turnaround time.

I got mine October 20th It says for 3 books under 3K each, with a 20 day turnaround time.

Thats what mine said to, but when you print the order form it says 4 books 15 days $1,000.

So I used the $1,000 limit, should have called and verified, I just didn't want to have any hold ups with my submission.

I do not know why I wait several months to get books graded and then I am in a rush to get them graded lol

Good info- How do books fall into this express tier you speak of?
there are different tier levels that books will all fall into. The coupon for (4) free submissions is good for books valued at under 1000. Economy tier are books under 300. The cost of submitting books under the modern or economy tier costs less than the express tier, I.E. sending modern books with the coupon is acceptable but you are entitled under the coupon to submit books that would cost you more to grade, so why would one not. Express level is books between 300-1000.

I've been reading this thread with interest .. I'm on the free option, but I think I'm going to go premium as soon as I get paid. I've got lots that I want to submit over time, but the coupons especially seem like a no-brainer.