• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To share or NOT to share...?

22 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on posting collection pieces up on CAF?

I'm both a Star Wars collector and a comic art collector (not really a Star Wars comic art collector though!). I've only been collecting comic art for just under 10 years but Star Wars stuff for many more. I've often shared pictures of my Star Wars stuff with people without much concern...but I've been very hesitant to share pics of my comic art.

Here are my thoughts:

Disadvantages:

Concern over theft especially given the high value of some of the art (seems there is much more issue with theft in the comic art world)

Concern that showing your art will devalue it (no longer 'fresh to the marketplace').

Concern that potential sellers might see what you have and refuse to sell something to you without trading a particular piece.

Along those same lines, concern that people will hound you for a particular piece that they want (I'm guilty of that myself! :) ).

Advantages:

Notoriety...leading to finding pages you want (i.e. people know you're serious based on what's already in your collection)

Fulfill that innate desire to show off your stuff!

What do you guys think? or has this been discussed before?

-Will

Personally, I enjoy looking at the collections of others. Because I appreciate others doing it, I like to contribute as well.

This. I feel a duty to share, because I enjoy what others have shared.

Personally, I enjoy looking at the collections of others. Because I appreciate others doing it, I like to contribute as well.

Couldn't agree more. Beyond the "advantages" the OP lists, it's a fundamental issue of fairness. Anyone who likes checking out other collectors' art on CAF, should share their own.

Why have your collection unless someone else can enjoy it as well? I LOVE seeing pieces and being inspired by other people's pieces. Uncovering a treasure of a favorite character that someone has you didn't know existed always fills me with joy.

1. I'm not sure I can follow the theft argument though. Unless you give someone your address; CAF is completely anonymous.

2. As far as someone hounding you for a piece it is easy enough to set the filters on your email to filter them out. Which I have done.

3. I'm not sure I understand how putting a piece on CAF can drive the price down. And if you are concerned about getting the most for a piece of art then perhaps a society such as CAF built around sharing art isn't for you. DOn't get me wrong, this is not a slam against you per se.

And if you are concerned about getting the most for a piece of art then perhaps a society such as CAF built around sharing art isn't for you. DOn't get me wrong, this is not a slam against you per se.

This is certainly true

Having a resource like CAF is hugely beneficial to the hobby.

I enjoy posting my art and, as a result, have made lots of new friends with similar interests.

I understand how the 'fresh to market' mentality works, but don't really endorse it.

If a piece of artwork is high-calibre, it's irrelevant (at least, to me) what it's history of availibility has been. You should like the art for what it is, rather than what it could fetch.

Fresh-to-market today . . . stale tomorrow . . .

I think it's not an "all or none" situation, simply only post what you feel comfortable posting. I think a lot of fans on CAF, although like to see everything, including original published line art, the truth of the matter, most people know what Star Wars #1 (Marvel Comic) looks like, but if you had a commission of Star Wars by Howard Chaykin, Michael Golden, Al Williamson, Carmine Infantino or other artists, that's unpublished, those are the things usually of lesser value (to avoid you concern with financial exposure to your assets) which the majority of fans I think would like to see, something they've never seen before.

The other concerns of devaluing art, if anything in relation to others approaching you for the art, I think posting on CAF potentially establishes value for art with others possibly making offers, and also creating amongst other fanatical collectors, knowledge of where key pieces are, so when you decide to sell (or trade), you may have a strategic advantage or create a bidding war to maximize your take as well as, again having a greater sense of what your artwork may be worth in the open marketplace (sans any really lowball offers, which you can simply ignore and those folks usually just go away)

People use CAF for different reasons, as you'd mentioned "Notoriety" sometimes either in a braggard chest pumping "look at me" way; or the other route to establish being a known collector looking for like-minded members out of more of the social aspects and camaraderie of the hobby; or to become a higher profile collector to buy, sell or trade.

Again, if comfortable, you can start by posting whatever you want first and not feel you need to expose your entire vault.

In regards to the negatives that you posted, I've always thought - heck if Mandel, Woo, Burkey and others have their stuff on display for the public, I'm sure my stuff is safe :grin: i think the display aspect is one of the things that makes the art appealing to a lot of people.

I think truthfully, IMO, coming from the same other hobby, that there have been more positives to sharing my OA than to sharing my SW collection. That's not to take away all that's been gained in the SW community by sharing it but it seems more broad here, more positive and more akin to a true sense of appreciation and community. The SW world has swung to be almost too paranoid in sharing nowadays and i think the opposite can be said here, which i find very refreshing.

I was bored as hell this weekend, so I loaded up all my comic art, pages and personal art onto CAF. I'm not sure if anyone gives two shlts about the artwork I have, but I did find lots of cool stuff other people owned!

A year ago I was right there with you however the connections as well as friends that I have made have all been worth it. I figured life is waaaay too short not to share and the great trades that I have made would have never been possible if I hadn't posted. Heck, I have sold quite a few of my original strips thanks to the gallery. I highly recommend posting your stuff!

I like it when people post stuff. Just saw someone post a few awesome Bagley New Warriors page. At least I know where they are!

Of course, I feel a dark pit in my soul because they are not with me.

I think you've laid out the pros and cons very nicely, Will. Ultimately I think you just need to follow the course that you're most comfortable with and weigh those pros and cons against each other to determine what you want to show and what you want to enjoy yourself. I've never agreed with the train of thought that collectors are obligated to share everything in their collections via online photos. I've taken criticism for that philosophy at times, but I think each individual collector needs to share what he/she is comfortable with.

BTW, it's great to see you posting here, Will!!! Hope to see you in August at Celebration 6.

- Mike

I would love to share mine. I'm just too broke to buy a scanner right now. Due to circumstances, I haven't worked in quite a while.

You can use a camera if you have a steady hand and good lighting :)

There are a few familiar faces around these parts that have come over from the Star Wars collecting track.

While some of the cons points may be valid, I don't see them as a deterrent for me sharing my collecton with others. I agree with Shane in that I feel there is more of a sense of appreciation in the comic art community than I ran across in the SW community (at least in more recent times there). The very existance of CAF as a place for people to show off their art and collections is a perfect example of the appreciation levels of the community.

I personally believe art is meant to be looked at, appreciated, and enjoyed by more than one person; hence the existance of museums and books devoted to art. (IDW with their recent Artist Editions being perfect examples). I love looking at CAF and checking out all the art there, so I post what art I have for others to look at and appreciate (if they choose).

It does come down to what you're comfortable with posting and sharing, but I don't think I'd worry as much about the cons as I think the pros for sharing far outweigh them.