• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JUST SAW SPIDER-MAN 2!

113 posts in this topic

One of the advantages of living in Los Angeles is that a trip to the local comic shop (in this case Golden Apple Comics on Melrose) could get you a ticket to the MTV Movie House screening of Spider-Man 2! When the owner Bill Lebowitz gave me a pass, I called to reserve a space immediately, even though the age limit was 18 to 24, which made me feel old. For the first time in my life I was trying to get a fake ID that said I was younger! Luckily, security was more concerned about making sure no cell phones were allowed in the theater than they were about the age limit.

The screening was Tuesday, June 15th at the Bridge in Los Angeles. Despite the flyer saying the show was going to start at 8:30, things didn't get underway until crowd shots and MTV VJ intros were completed, which was around 10. I felt very lucky to be there and want to be the first to give a semi-spoiler free review to the boards!

First off, the sequel is better than the original. Better in the way that T2 was better than Terminator. The effects are better. The fights are better. The costumes are better. Best of all... the dialogue is better. One of the things I thought was a flaw with Spider-Man 1 was the cheesy banter between MJ and Peter, which got a bit too sappy for me. This is kept to a minimum, and nothing is said that's really cringe worthy.

Alfred Molina is amazing as Doc Ock, and will definitely become a household name after this comes out...but I wouldn't go selling my Amazing Spider-Man #14's too soon either... (hint hint!)

Small spoiler alert:

I was afraid that the previews were going to give too much of the plot away, but so much more is in this film than what has been shown in the trailers. Some of these elements I'm going to wait to discuss until after the flick comes out, but let's just say that we really get to see some fantastic scenes with Peter Parker here that were never really touched on in the comics, most notably a scene where he confronts Aunt May about how he was responsible for the death of Uncle Ben.

Tobey Maguire was so good he made me glad Jake Gyllenhall didn't get the role. I like cast continuity in super hero movies. To me that was one of the reasons the Batman movies started getting stale. If the ensemble keeps making these films, folks will still be excited about Spider-Man movies for years to come.

There's a lot more J Jonah Jameson, who is always funny, and he even makes a passing mention of Dr. Strange in one scene, which made me very very happy! Kirsten Dunst is also great and seems happy that she has more to do in this one than she did in the last film. Bruce Campbell also makes a great cameo as a theater usher!

There are homages to classic Spider-Man comics, and you'll see scenes from Amazing Spider-Man #50 as well as a slightly modified Amazing Spider-Man #33 climax come to life, which is always a thrill when it's done right.

Will there be a Spider-Man 3? You bet your butt there will be! All signs point to sequel, and by the end of #2, everything in Peter's life is different. The relationships between all of the characters has evolved, and the plot has thickened! Who could ask for anything more?

I know some folks are gonna hate this film, but count me as one of the fans. Thumbs way up!

Thanks, Wdb, for the advance preview. I appreciate getting a taste of the movie from you without disclosure of too much plot. It would be thrilling, indeed, if the sequel were to capture cool aspects of the comic that came up short in the first movie. Two of the great things about the comic for me were in short supply in Spidey 1: the charm, and the acrobatics of battle. Between Spidey's banter, and the hiding of his Superhero-ness under a geeky persona, the comic has unique qualities that I didn't think translated well onto the screen. Also, Ditko and Romita brought tremendous visual appeal to the battle scenes, but the movie battles seemed more like those of just another action flick (less the great web-swinging, of course).

Here's to good wishes for Spidey 2! Can't hardly wait...

couldn't get enough from the Trouble comic huh?

May was a nasty little teen devil.gifcloud9.gif

you can say it, she was a ho..... devil.gif

she was just short of pulling a threesome with the "Parker Brothers" but the best part of that book is finding out her true relationship with Peter smile.gif

couldn't get enough from the Trouble comic huh?

May was a nasty little teen devil.gifcloud9.gif

you can say it, she was a ho..... devil.gif

she was just short of pulling a threesome with the "Parker Brothers" but the best part of that book is finding out her true relationship with Peter smile.gif

sign-offtopic.gif I don't think I like the implication to which you allude to. 893whatthe.gif

Ok... you just took things from slightly gross to flat out disturbing. Move on... please... for my un-digested lunchs sake...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You still pushing this "Sweet Valley High" epic as Marvel Continuity? I think everyone except you has either burned ot sold off their copies.

excellent review...makes me want to go see it now! 893applaud-thumb.gif Any nude scenes? ...with Aunt May ...of course devil.gif

Don't know if she's nude...but I'm pretty sure she has her panties in a bunch... grin.gif

No Aunt May nude scenes, but you do get to see Alfred Molina's nipples!

The Spidey banter is there a little, but it still seems a little out of character since Tobey's Peter Parker doesn't seem like the wise-cracking type.

As far as my Amazing Spider-Man #14 comment, perhaps I should have said Amazing Spider-Man #135...

Sorry. No more spoilers!

As far as my Amazing Spider-Man #14 comment, perhaps I should have said Amazing Spider-Man #135...

Sorry. No more spoilers!

I don't think this is a spoiler as much as it is confirming the obvious...

If we're lucky, they'll re-work the costume for V2.0. One can hope, right?