• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing #25 Production defect?

13 posts in this topic

I posted this in the defect Q and A thread, but I noticed the last post was from back in February, so god only knows when I'll get a response from there, so i'll post it here too.

Is this considered "Marvel Chipping", and will CGC deduct it for it? And if it's not, then what is it? And will CGC deduct for it? haha. I won this comic in a bet, and the person who originally owned it said it was a CGC 9.4 before he opened it to get it pressed, but I don't know if he's telling the truth or not. Any input would be appreciated as I'm looking to get this signed with the rest of my Stan Lee silver age books.

14541923.jpg

A7ECC552.jpg

That's probably handling wear from someone's thumb. I'd be surproised if it was a 9.4. It's , in my opinion, one of the neatest of the Ditko run.....cool book, congrats. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's probably handling wear from someone's thumb. I'd be surproised if it was a 9.4. It's , in my opinion, one of the neatest of the Ditko run.....cool book, congrats. GOD BLESS....

+1

I love that cover.

You know I saw this last night and I thought what was being referred to was these weird Swiss cheese-like indentations...I just notice that it's the camera phone's reflection :doh:

I think people are mistaking the reflection his iphone/camera made in the photos, for some kind of thumb dent/impression on the comic.

Those chips and grooves he is asking about(best I could glean anyways) are a result from when the book was manufactured.

Those ridges, peaks and valleys on the outer edge are from the crahppy blade used to cut/trim/chop the comic.(similar to how the barrel of a gun leaves landmarks on every bullet that is fired from it )

The "landmarks" these blades left behind are what you see on your comics edge.

This is a typical trait in early SA Marvels.

So I would say NO , this production related defect would not be downgraded for by CGC except for perhaps the top photo with a chunk out. Hard to say from just a photo though.

And without seeing the rest of the book it is impossible to tell you what grade the book might be. I have no idea why people are telling you otherwise, you only posted a small photo of the outer edge!

I think people are mistaking the reflection his iphone/camera made in the photos, for some kind of thumb dent/impression on the comic.

Those chips and grooves he is asking about(best I could glean anyways) are a result from when the book was manufactured.

Those ridges, peaks and valleys on the outer edge are from the crahppy blade used to cut/trim/chop the comic.(similar to how the barrel of a gun leaves landmarks on every bullet that is fired from it )

So I would say NO , this production related defect would not be downgraded for by CGC except for perhaps the top photo with a chunk out. Hard to say from just a photo though.

And without seeing the rest of the book it is impossible to tell you what grade the book might be. I have no idea why people are telling you otherwise, you only posted a small photo of the outer edge!

.....my copy has the groves as well.....very common in 1965 books. I love this cover and would personally like to see a shot of the full comic. GOD BLESS...

Yeah, he must be referring to the edge "landmark" as you stated. Here's some close-ups of the two areas.

126653.jpg.7f03601155f06cec3bb04d93827bc79e.jpg

126654.jpg.a19290c38b994f69810edaa9fc39fd2d.jpg

(thumbs u :applause: Definitely a very common edge artifact for that era book.

If grading from a scan is not accurate, what do we call grading from 1/10th of a scan? :banana:

yep. love seeing those crappy blade marks on silver marvels- makes it easy to tell it's not a trim job.

Exactly.

I've caught a couple of SA Marvel cover-only trim jobs where the cover edge stood out like a sore thumb from the rest of the book.

I guess a smart scammer could build some sort of guillotine cutter with the blade filed down to match existing blade fingerprints, but that would be a lot of work.