• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Thomas explains how the change of size of the art affected the -script.

9 posts in this topic

Roy Thomas commented in the letter column of ASM #121 (or whoever was in charge of answering it) how the change of the size of original art forced them to reduce the quantity of copy.

asm12133.th.jpg

Btw, who has the time to count the words of a full issue?!

Ferran

Excellent !!!

I'm wondering what the reader fan writer would say today and actually how many words a modern comic be using ??!!

BTW in the letters two no prize are granted !!! Do you know Ferran if those no-prize were actually empty letters ?? I heard also some original pages were offered back then ...Do you have infos on this ??

love your blog though the translation doesn't work so well ....and I can't read spanish ...........my bad ..

(thumbs u

This is great! Interesting reading as to how production can sometimes drive content.

On a related, but unrelated point, I was at a luncheon with Joe Q (thank you HERO Initiative), and someone commented as to how much they enjoy the title page summary in the current Marvel books. For those that read a lot of stories, it's hard to keep track of everything.

Joe pointed out that that addition was almost entirely due to the increase in the production of trade paperbacks. In the past, each story used anywhere from a half page to a page and a half bringing you up to speed. That worked fine, but if you collected the stories into a trade, you would have a lot of repetitive space being used up to retell the story. As a result, they started the summary page in the front, and stopped bringing people up to speed in the story. It's now assumed that the stories will be collected in a trade format.

Ron

Do you know Ferran if those no-prize were actually empty letters ?? I heard also some original pages were offered back then ...Do you have infos on this ??
Hi Romain,

I think so, it was only an empty envelope. In this entry of my blog you have a scan of one of them:

http://ferrandelgado.blogspot.com.es/2007/02/documento-historico-precedente-del-no.html

What's curious is that Stan Lee offered $5 in the letter column of FF #4 to whoever would give the best explanation to a mistake from FF #2. You'll find it in the same entry of my blog.

love your blog though the translation doesn't work so well ....and I can't read spanish ...........my bad .. (thumbs u
Thanks!! Sorry about the automatic translation, only useful to get the big picture and get some laughs. Anyway the main incentive of my blog are pictures, so you don't miss so much. If you are curious about something particular, just leave a comment and I'll answer asap.

Nice dig Ferran.

By the 1990's, when most artists drew only splash pages and pin-ups, there was no need for any dialogue at all. lol.

Off topic ------------------------------------------------

I have a pic of a No-Prize in my CAF autographed by Stan Lee. It's essentially a blank envelope. I have it under misc.

By contrast, DC Comics used to give away original art. Refer to the letter to E. Nelson Bridwell in my CAF gallery in the Carmine Infantino section. You can also view the art.

Cheers!

N.