• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG Books " Comic Grading Group " Initial observations

109 posts in this topic

My one criticism of CGC has been the lack of a lower tier level of affordability that lower value books can be graded at. 3-5 months behind as it is, I suspect that a new endeavor is not excatly something that they need right now. In any case I was forced to use CGG to get some lower tier books graded. At 14 bucks a pop and a 3 week wait, I could not pass up the opportunity to try it this once.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. The last 100 books or so that I have sent to CGC came back within 0.20 of the grade I had estimated, not bad really. The first 30 books I sent to CGG came back within 0.18 of my estimated grade. While it is only 30 books, I was quite impressed. My initial reaction is that their grading was well within reason.

In addition to the countdown items, I'll probably offer up another 10-20 mid grade books in about a week, graded by CGG...I hope you'll give them a look. I thought I would never say it, but this new outfit seems to be doing a good job of grading books.

FYI, I still sent in another 20-30 more valuable books to CGC. Despite the grading ability of CGG, I still think CGC carries a lot more punch with high dollar items. I think that will change if my experience is any indication.

CGC needs to fix their turnaround times or CGG is going to steal a good portion of their marketshare whether CGG is "as good" as CGC or not. I am already seeing this happen with moderns, but surprisingly, I am seeing it happen far more frequently with silver age high dollar books (such as the Amazing Spider-Man #10 CGG 9.4 that Andy just sold).

Yes, CGG will be starting to get much more popular. I've just finish sending about 20 comics to them and will only use there service for now on. Their grading is almost at par with CGC of what I've seen so far. Ebay has about 200 to 300 CGG book's right now and that number will be in the 1000's by next year. Wait and see smile.gif

Yes, CGG will be starting to get much more popular. I've just finish sending about 20 comics to them and will only use there service for now on. Their grading is almost at par with CGC of what I've seen so far. Ebay has about 200 to 300 CGG book's right now and that number will be in the 1000's by next year. Wait and see smile.gif

all the more reason Ebay needs to have a graded comics section. 893frustrated.gif

I would like to see CGG gain more clout and respect in the industry. I submitted over 150 books to them but stopped a few months ago due to all the bad press they were getting. Since I only slab to sell, I wanted to make sure the buyers out there could trust the graded product, and CGG's image was/is suffering so I stopped. But if it improves I'll be right back with them, in addition to CGC. The quicker turnaround times, cheaper pricing and nice holders all work out well for me. But image and trust are important as well so I'm hoping they do better in this area.

I'd also get more books slabbed in general if I was also using CGG. With the expense and turnaround at CGC I often sell many of my "CGC Ready" high quality books raw as it is often better than waiting 2-4 months plus the expense at CGC. -----Sid

I would like to see CGG gain more clout and respect in the industry. I submitted over 150 books to them but stopped a few months ago due to all the bad press they were getting. Since I only slab to sell, I wanted to make sure the buyers out there could trust the graded product, and CGG's image was/is suffering so I stopped. But if it improves I'll be right back with them, in addition to CGC. The quicker turnaround times, cheaper pricing and nice holders all work out well for me. But image and trust are important as well so I'm hoping they do better in this area.

I'd also get more books slabbed in general if I was also using CGG. With the expense and turnaround at CGC I often sell many of my "CGC Ready" high quality books raw as it is often better than waiting 2-4 months plus the expense at CGC. -----Sid

Sid,

Have any CGC ready Marvel Bronze??? grin.gif

CGC needs to fix their turnaround times or CGG is going to steal a good portion of their marketshare whether CGG is "as good" as CGC or not. I am already seeing this happen with moderns, but surprisingly, I am seeing it happen far more frequently with silver age high dollar books (such as the Amazing Spider-Man #10 CGG 9.4 that Andy just sold).

I was one who swore I 'd never use CGG. But I have some modernd in at CGC right now that I submitted at Wondercon on 5/01. They are still only shipping as of 3/18 last I looked. This is supposed to be a 4 week service! This back up working its way toward the economy back up of 4 months! I just thought it was worth giving CGG a try...I'm just too impatient perhaps.

Most significantly, I wish CGC wiould simply post a realistric turnaround time. In three years I have never gotten a book back in less than 4 months. Why do they continue to advertise 40 business days as their turnaround time? I love the folks at CGC, but they have opened the door, all by themselves, for this added competition!

Great topic, although this thread would probably generate more interest in the Comics General section.

The impact of CGC's recent hires won't be felt at the customer level immediately; I expect that whatever positive effect should be felt hopefully by end of summer. If I see that 1. CGG's reputation improves and they make themselves more visible to the collecting community 2. CGG continues to be price conscious and 3. CGG continues to meet demand in a resonable timeframe and lastly 4. The price fetched for a CGG book is about the same for a CGC book, then I will definitely give CGG a try. IMHO, they have a way to go before I make that leap of faith, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. I'm assuming of course that CGC's result of addressing these issues doesn't improve and/or actually degrades. I for one was not pleased with the last CGC price hikes, and technically I wasn't even a CGC customer yet at the time.

I'd personally never have a CGG book in my collection (just yet) but for quick sales and such a look might be in order 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

all the more reason Ebay needs to have a graded comics section. 893frustrated.gif

I recommended the idea to Ebay -- of course, they did nothing about it. 893frustrated.gif

CGG misses a lot of restoration though. And their holder isn't archival-quality. But as long as those two things don't bother you, no biggie I guess!

confused.gifWhy CGC Ready isn't good enough for you? devil.gif

CGG misses a lot of restoration though. And their holder isn't archival-quality. But as long as those two things don't bother you, no biggie I guess!

If you have books that you plan on selling and not keeping why should either of those things be a factor?

confused.gifWhy CGC Ready isn't good enough for you? devil.gif

especially when they are Bronze Marvels that look like 7.0, and titled "CGC ready" 893frustrated.gif