• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your oldest SS Book

57 posts in this topic

And Boom goes the Dynamite.

This nostalgia had me looking up old threads. The original John Byrne thread was amazing. Beyonder did 6 copies of X-Men 108. Can you imagine? :worship:

Those were definitely the days Sean, I was lucky enough to do 12 Byrne books.

How many do you still have? So I can bug you.

Here is my tangent discussion: For all the oldies, there was a lot of pressure from the SS haters to do interior sigs. How many of you did it, and how much do you regret it? Chris (Beyonder) left a lot of bread on the table with the interior sigs, how about everyone else?

On the one hand, it may take away some of the resale value. However, it keeps the cover intact for those that dont' want to see the front of their book "defaced".

Another thing to take into consideration was (and still is in some cases), that some artists prefer signing on the inside of a book. Little known factoid, Will Eisner signed a bunch of SS books on the inside if he only contributed interior work. Also, the majority of Kirby sigs (that I have seen) are signed on the inside of the book on the first page.

This nostalgia had me looking up old threads. The original John Byrne thread was amazing. Beyonder did 6 copies of X-Men 108. Can you imagine? :worship:

Here is my tangent discussion: For all the oldies, there was a lot of pressure from the SS haters to do interior sigs. How many of you did it, and how much do you regret it? Chris (Beyonder) left a lot of bread on the table with the interior sigs, how about everyone else?

On the one hand, it may take away some of the resale value. However, it keeps the cover intact for those that dont' want to see the front of their book "defaced".

Another thing to take into consideration was (and still is in some cases), that some artists prefer signing on the inside of a book. Little known factoid, Will Eisner signed a bunch of SS books on the inside if he only contributed interior work. Also, the majority of Kirby sigs (that I have seen) are signed on the inside of the book on the first page.

Larry Todd took apart a window bagged underground last year to sign an interior page. :frustrated:

Larry Todd took apart a window bagged underground last year to sign an interior page. :frustrated:

:eek:

You too huh!

Yeah. I sent a super nice Dr. Atomic with Cretella to Big Wow to see if i could get him to sign the cover, but he no-showed.

lol

Think I have 8 or 9 left in total.

Funny you should mention the topic of interior sigs. Chris and I used to discuss this all the time. He was very insistent on getting interior sigs done whereas I held the complete opposite view. I thought if you were going to get a book SS'd then I'd want to see the actual signature rather than hide it on the interior of a book. I still remember meeting up with him at Paradise to pick up some new SS books. The books had mistakenly been signed on the cover and he was disgusted lol

i have 11 byrne books and 5 of them are interior :tonofbricks:

I think you have a couple of my old books. X-Men #125 for sure and do you have the copy of #120?

125, no

120, yes

:)

+1 :cloud9:

28ivsyq.jpg

I have been watching out for Byrne SS for a few years now and have never seen a signed Hulk. Of course that doesn't mean there isn't one, and if there is I would love to see own it! :cloud9:

I haven't seen a Hulk signed by Byrne either, but I'm pretty sure there is a Marvel Team-up 53, a Hulk cover, that's signed by him. It took me a long time to get my X-Men 125, I'm still searching for another SS to go with it.

Beyonder said in that thread that he did a 53. Chances are high it is interior sig.