• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIGNATURE SERIES GOLDEN AGE

43 posts in this topic

The greatest thing in collecting is personal memories. I am glad you had a chance to meet the artists personally and have this special experience which ultimately binds you more with the books you collect. I'd sure love to see those comics, even though they might not be SS :)

As to your concern that you would no longer be able to browse or read your SS comics, it pretty much comes down to the whole concept of CGC. Most collectors who buy cgc graded comic books do not intend to crack the books out of their holder for xy reasons. This pretty much keeps you from browsing and reading your comics as well.

The only difference is, that with a blue label you can crack the book out of the holder, go through it, resub it if you like and still get the same or similar result as before you removed it from the holder. The very unfortunate thing about SS books is that once you crack the holder, cgc will no longer recognize the signature on it as authentic.

Hi Palamas, thank you.

Yes, that’s the point: I know that you can choose how to benefit from CGC grading but with the Yellow labeled signature series a comic is definitely "entombed".

The signature, however, remains authentic, with or without the case, so I guess even here it’s just the collector's choice. Of course, if you have a CGC Signature series it’s very likely you asked CGC to have it autographed for you, and it’s less likely you have met or known the author.

Hmm… I need to hurry up if I want a comic signed by Carmine Infantino or Joe Sinnott. One never knows when it’s your moment…

OT: Vaughn, I have always found that "Chosen" cover overtly sacrilegous. If Millar's goal was to satirize bigotry or at some american cultural trait he does not digest, he did not realize he was also being offensive and blasphemous on a worldwide scale at the same time.

And the narrative quality is also very poor.

The greatest thing in collecting is personal memories. I am glad you had a chance to meet the artists personally and have this special experience which ultimately binds you more with the books you collect. I'd sure love to see those comics, even though they might not be SS :)

As to your concern that you would no longer be able to browse or read your SS comics, it pretty much comes down to the whole concept of CGC. Most collectors who buy cgc graded comic books do not intend to crack the books out of their holder for xy reasons. This pretty much keeps you from browsing and reading your comics as well.

The only difference is, that with a blue label you can crack the book out of the holder, go through it, resub it if you like and still get the same or similar result as before you removed it from the holder. The very unfortunate thing about SS books is that once you crack the holder, cgc will no longer recognize the signature on it as authentic.

Hi Palamas, thank you.

Yes, that’s the point: I know that you can choose how to benefit from CGC grading but with the Yellow labeled signature series a comic is definitely "entombed".

The signature, however, remains authentic, with or without the case, so I guess even here it’s just the collector's choice. Of course, if you have a CGC Signature series it’s very likely you asked CGC to have it autographed for you, and it’s less likely you have met or known the author.

Hmm… I need to hurry up if I want a comic signed by Carmine Infantino or Joe Sinnott. One never knows when it’s your moment…

OT: Vaughn, I have always found that "Chosen" cover overtly sacrilegous. If Millar's goal was to satirize bigotry or at some american cultural trait he does not digest, he did not realize he was also being offensive and blasphemous on a worldwide scale at the same time.

And the narrative quality is also very poor.

Great points guys!! The only thing I'd add is that if a person buys a Sig Series book and is positive they're NEVER going to sell it, well .... go ahead and crack it out then. YOU know the signature is authentic and it's your property, so do as you like. If you're worried, perhaps video taping it being cracked out might get some people to trust that it's genuine. Great topic of conversation though :applause: