• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Original X-23 Vampire Variant Cover by Mike Mayhew

42 posts in this topic

I heard it was given as a gift to the guy's daughter (in Germany), who really loves the character. The thing is, she then proceeded to color it in using markers.

:jokealert:

I heard it was given as a gift to the guy's daughter (in Germany), who really loves the character. The thing is, she then proceeded to color it in using markers.

fred-sanford-im-coming-o.gif

Put the image on CAF with issue name and in front of all the text put Wanted. Are you supposed to do this?...No. But given the amount of things that don't belong there I don't really give a .

It does work. A few weeks ago I put up a handful of pieces that way and this morning I got an email from the owner about one he has that just isn't posted on CAF.

Good luck Doc, this would look awesome with your X-23/Vamp-Jubilee cover.

Thanks!

Why don't you just ask him to make you the same one?

Eh, not much of a commission person. If I just wanted one to look at, I could buy a print - I like the challenge of finding the original.

Put the image on CAF with issue name and in front of all the text put Wanted. Are you supposed to do this?...No. But given the amount of things that don't belong there I don't really give a .

It does work. A few weeks ago I put up a handful of pieces that way and this morning I got an email from the owner about one he has that just isn't posted on CAF.

hm

Just an update: haven't found it, still looking. The unfortunate part (for me) is that Mayhew's art is now commanding a princely sum for his cover art. When I first wanted to buy this piece for $1500 on his CAF, he had sold it on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars less than that, I believe. Now, a few years later, it's around twice that. :(

But, I did put a WTB on my CAF page, but that hasn't garnered anything either.

Those German comic art collectors - they keep it close to the vest...

Keep at it Bud (thumbs u

Thanks. I'm hoping since I have no money for OA that it miraculously comes up for sale in a bout of Murphy's Law.

Just an update: haven't found it, still looking. The unfortunate part (for me) is that Mayhew's art is now commanding a princely sum for his cover art. When I first wanted to buy this piece for $1500 on his CAF, he had sold it on Ebay for a couple hundred dollars less than that, I believe. Now, a few years later, it's around twice that. :(

But, I did put a WTB on my CAF page, but that hasn't garnered anything either.

Those German comic art collectors - they keep it close to the vest...

But does his art actually sell for more or is that just the asking prices? In my experience his stuff sits at those elevated prices. Usually if he sells on eBay it does sell for a chunk less than his asking price.

I think it depends on the piece, plus his commission rate is pretty high from what I recall. But, you're right - deals have also been had on his work, too. So I suppose it's anyone's game should the art ever come up.

I think it depends on the piece, plus his commission rate is pretty high from what I recall. But, you're right - deals have also been had on his work, too. So I suppose it's anyone's game should the art ever come up.

I agree, there were some deals when he listed these on eBay. From what I recall, they were all listed as auctions with very high starting bids (compared to .99c). Maybe that's what turned a lot of folks off?

I bid and won the UXM 529 cover. I remember it well, sitting in traffic on the way home watching the auction to see where it ended. I don't think it helped that they ended around 5:30 on a Friday. I was shocked that I won it for the starting price. I was the only bidder, but I had bid to win (many multiples of the starting price).

I agree, there were some deals when he listed these on eBay. From what I recall, they were all listed as auctions with very high starting bids (compared to .99c). Maybe that's what turned a lot of folks off?

I bought the original artwork for the unpublished cover to Pulse # 2 directly from Mike Mayhew back in (I think) 2008:

Interesting image showing the Vulture soaring upwards with a discarded newspaper featuring a nice Spider-man portrait.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=363612

It was an eBay offering. Can't remember what the bidding competition was like, but I paid something like $200 - 300 for it (which I thought was a great price).

Not something I'm looking to sell, but out of curiosity any ideas of current FMV?

I don't follow the Mayhew market, as this was just a one-off example for my collection.

The cover came with some pencil roughs showing alternative ideas.

I do love my Speedball splash from Mayhew. He gave it to his inker, Rain Beredo, who lives in the Phillipeans. So I had to buy it from him. (and he gave me another page from the Fear Itself: Homefront) Yeah, it was a poor series, but Mayhew + Speedball = Pure awesomeness!