• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Bradbury

71 posts in this topic

I performed in the original stage version of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and he showed up in a Seersucker Suit and we all spent a good night with him drinking by the fire. RIP. A gentleman.

Dan

That's pretty neat! Which role did you play?

I just watched 'Sci-Fi Boys' with my wife the other night on Netflix and wondered if he was still alive...

Its been so long since I read most of his work, but I do remember being in high school and being moved by Fahrenheit 451. Glad it was required summer reading.

Very sad news.

Like many here I read and enjoyed the Bradbury story adaptations done by EC.

Anybody here remember the Ray Bradbury Theater show on TV?

(C'mon...I know you watched it. We're all nerds here...)

I remember The Screaming Woman with Drew Barrymore. That was a neat episode. Was it Donald Pleasence who buried his wife?

I wish I could remember more of the episodes. Was Shelly Duvall in the Small Assassin?

There's also a pretty good adaptation of All Summer in a Day done by PBS in the early 80s. They changed the ending a bit, though.

I performed in the original stage version of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and he showed up in a Seersucker Suit and we all spent a good night with him drinking by the fire. RIP. A gentleman.

Dan

That's pretty neat! Which role did you play?

I was an ensemble member. Lots of Circus freaks, mask work and such. Great show. He drunkingly signed and sketched on my beloved paperback copy of DANDELION WINE.

Dan

My absolute favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy writer. DANDELION WINE is one of the best things I've read regardless of genre.

I used to have the text of the very polite letter he sent to Bill Gaines upon finding one of his stories had been published by EC. Anyone have it?

Guess he missed Forrest J. Ackerman too much.

While most people mention Fahrenheit a lot or Martian Chronicles,i'll go with..

You owe it to yourself to read these 2 short stories.

One is called The smile and the other is called All summer in a day.

R.I.P. Ray.

I'm really really bummed out now. :cry:

There may be the obscure one-shot writer I don't know about, but if I'm not mistaken, of the prominent authors who published in the original pulp format, Bradbury was the last. (Williamson died a couple of years back at age 100, Bloch a few years before that). There now are officially no living pulp authors (again, that I can recall).

Frederik Pohl?

You are correct! I'd forgotten about Pohl... I think of him as mainly appearing in the post-pulp digests, but he did have work in Planet Stories and Thrilling Wonder as well!

Delighted to know Mr. Pohl is still with us. To make up for forgetting him, let me point out that he still maintains a Hugo-winning blog at age 92: TheWaytheFutureBlogs (worship)