• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dumb selling question on boards

15 posts in this topic

So its been awhile since I've sold on the boards and have a few questions concerning the process. I have sold like one book at a time and that's no problem, but what about selling many? How do I go about invoicing people with 1 or multiple orders? Do I just write up a total and then PM the info with my PayPal name or home address for MO's??? What do most of the boardies do when selling?? What is the easiest solution to this process??? I have a selling thread going now, and just want to freshen up on the status quo of forum selling.

Thanks in advance

Keep track of the books you sell and the people who buy them in a note book. So at the top of the page I write their SN, and below the list of books they purchased, how much for the books and shipping are and any other info for that person. You can also write dates they paid, date you sent the book and date they received the book so you have records of EVERYtHING in case something goes wrong. Concerning invoices I just send them a list. So it would look something like this...

Joeblowsscreenname

Batman 1 @ $100

Superman 1 @ $100

2 books @ $200

Shipping and handling @$5

TOTAL $205

This is just a suggestion at how I keep track of stuff. I find this method to be easiest for me.

Joeblowsscreenname

Batman 1 @ $100

Superman 1 @ $100

2 books @ $200

TOTAL $205

This is just a suggestion at how I keep track of stuff. I find this method to be easiest for me.

Great prices there! :takeit:lol

Joeblowsscreenname

Batman 1 @ $100

Superman 1 @ $100

2 books @ $200

TOTAL $205

Great prices there! :takeit:lol

Too bad those were the new 52 versions.

I ask for a zip code or location so I can get a postage price. I ship in a box 99% of the time, and only do priority envelopes by request of the buyer. Never ever ship by priority envelope or manilla envelope - you are asking for trouble in shipping damage.

1-3 books you can still usually do first class to save the buyer postage - you need to keep first class shipments at 13 ounces or under to qualify for that service. If you order some of the really light priority boxes and zoned priority boxes you can also save the buyer postage on priority shipments.

Postage to Canada is still reasonable for Canadian buyers - 1-2 books can still be sent for about $5. It is atrocious for U.S. buyers getting books shipped to them from Canada.

I spent some quality time at usps.com figuring out postage, but generally, I will loosely box up what is ordered, and get an accurate total. If you do selling, it really helps to have a postage scale at home (or work).

I print postage at paypal or usps.com when I can. Paypal is really easy as the buyers mailing info is already there if paid that way for the merchandise.

I ask for a zip code or location so I can get a postage price. I ship in a box 99% of the time, and only do priority envelopes by request of the buyer. Never ever ship by priority envelope or manilla envelope - you are asking for trouble in shipping damage.

1-3 books you can still usually do first class to save the buyer postage - you need to keep first class shipments at 13 ounces or under to qualify for that service. If you order some of the really light priority boxes and zoned priority boxes you can also save the buyer postage on priority shipments.

As I thought I was finally understanding, you are making me dubious again.

I thought it was merely a question of weight, or does the box costs more anyway?

Having items shipped to Italy, it’s honestly more than enough to pay 17 USD (averages between 10-17USD, depending on the US country).

When the cost switches to 30-40 USD (and not for the weight) what’s actually happening?

You see, it’s pretty out of the question to spend, say, 35 USD on a 100 USD book. :(

Pretty much all bets are off internationally.

$10-$17 US is First Class Mail international

$17 is likely Priority Mail Flat rate envelope, but you should ask

$35 is likely Priority Mail, maybe boxed (you should ask)

What he said. The box can also add additional weight.

Pretty much all bets are off internationally.

$10-$17 US is First Class Mail international

$17 is likely Priority Mail Flat rate envelope, but you should ask

$35 is likely Priority Mail, maybe boxed (you should ask)

What he said. The box can also add additional weight.

I priority boxed some slabs for one of the Brits. It was going to be 70 bucks or something to get it there. :eek:

I bought a goofy birthday box and put the other box inside it, shipped it airmail and it was $35 bucks less.

I do have a scale, but shipping is still weird to me sometimes. There are just so many flat rate options vs. non flat rate boxing options that sometimes my head spins. I just shipped a book today and it was $10.45 or something for a non flat rate box with confirmation from FL to CA. The package was like 1 lb. 3 ounces. I tried to keep it under a pound, but couldn't pull it off without the cardboard sandwich moving around a little inside. Then there is the what do I do if I ever sell a huge lot of books. The flat rate "shoe box' is deep enough, but not wide enough in my opinion for even modern books, never mind silver age or before. Add to this buying large and strong enough boxes for comics, then add shipping, and the costs become prohibitive to the buyer I think, especially on the bay. I think folks on the boards are just easier to deal with because we all know what it costs and takes to ship books properly.