• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi this is my first post and a couple questions

30 posts in this topic

WTTB!!!

1. Some collectors like to own the best possible copy that they can afford, others have compulsive disorders and are compelled to own the best copies, still others might be vying for a top spot in the CGC registry.

2. For pre-1980, yes, $25 is the lowest tier, $18 for moderns with FMVs of less than $200.

The two books you are comparing are worlds apart in grade, NM(9.4) and NM/M+(9.8) can command very different prices.

oh i didn't realize that there was a modern tier of $18 dollars is it new i didn't see it a couple months ago? That makes more sense.
It does? Seriously? :lol:

oh i didn't realize that there was a modern tier of $18 dollars is it new i didn't see it a couple months ago? That makes more sense.

Keep in mind that unless you are in Sarasota, you need to pay shipping. You can submit at shows to avoid shipping to CGC, but the return shipping can add as much as $5/book for smaller subs, $2-$3 for large subs.

Add in eBay paypal fees, and you are correct in that anything being sold on eBay for $25 is pretty much a break even proposition, even accounting for a 10% online grading discount from a CGC partner.

Shipping is a LOT more to me in Australia too (around $10 per book) but I don't slab my books to make money. If I was trying to do that I'd be broke by now lol

Welcome to the CGC boards to the original poster. :hi:

I collect 9.8 moderns of key books that personally appeal to me - which is not very many. I buy them slabbed to ensure I have high grades, certified signatures and I kinda dig the feel of a slab.

And I can tell you from experience (as well as other people as well) that you can spend lots and lots of money trying to find those thousands of "mint" books on Ebay - and eventually you'll find a one that will hit 9.8, but not after you've blown $30-$40 trying to find it. A lot of the time, you are better off buying the slab than hunting down a NM+ book.

But, that's for people like me who have limited access to perusing raw books. I live in a small town with one LCS.

WTTB!

Doctor, and what if the inside pages are not so-well printed? It may be very rare with the last ten years production, but most books from the late 1970s up to the early 1990s were often printed in a pretty bad way, and you had to be lucky to find copies well printed.

Isn’t a lot more annoying to have to read a bad printed story, instead of having a cover which is not perfectly mint (because in the end it mostly comes down to the cover, right?).

I speak as an italian which used to read comics in italian edition, then started collecting both original moderns and silvers and bronzes in the late 1980s, and that recently started collecting golden age books (also with a research intent).

It makes you reflect about things like a 9.8 when you start browsing 1930s or 1940s publications (not to mention the italian ones, a lot less standardized: often – amidst the same run – you find a title which, for a single issue, switches to two-colors instead of four, for no apparent reason than the occasional money, paper or ink shortage due to the war events). :)