• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcest and/or best cover by title and publisher

79 posts in this topic

Probably been done a zillion times in one form or another, but the hobby progresses and so does our thinking.

So - in your opinion, what is the scarcest issue of a given title; what is the scarcest issue of a given publisher; what is the best cover of a given title and publisher. How often is the scarcest also the best?

Do you have an opinion that goes against doctrine? Eg the "planeteers" might agree with Kelholt that Planet #14 is even tougher than #15.

Preferably with scans of books in your own collection - but given the topic any scan will do if one needs to be borrowed.

As far as the classic Baker GGA covers are concerned, I've hardly ever seen this book come up for sale. There's just another 6.5 copy on the census. I would love see to a raw HG copy of this book.

authenticpolicecases6cg.jpg

authenticpolicecases6cge.jpg

mine is the only one of this book i've ever seen, tho' there is a second one on the census. trolley copy.

cb2.jpg

I have a coverless copy of that Captain Battle and it has some great stories. However, it may be rare but I think the Al Gabrielle cover of issue 5 is better.

7169729555_d4973ff8f3_z.jpg

4446638466_7370f30266_z.jpg

Splash scan is from GAC. Cap Battle 5 scan by me.

What do people think of same for Fight?

Except for the 1st issue (the only one I own in the early numbers), extremely tough but I'm not sure where the scarcity cut-off is.

What do people think of same for Fight?

Except for the 1st issue (the only one I own in the early numbers), extremely tough but I'm not sure where the scarcity cut-off is.

I don't know scarcity as far a Fight Comics, and I am sure there are some cheesecake covers that many folks covet (as well as the decapitation cover), but for my money Fight 5 is the coolest cover of the run...

fight5.jpg

The two scarcest Marvel Mystery Comics are #38 & #86 with only 10 copies of #38 certified & only 7 copies of #86.

Most issues of MMC have between 20 to 40 copies graded, which in itself is really low compared to Batman & Superman.

You may also find it surprising that #69 is also pretty tough with the Highest Graded Copy being only an 8.0.

...but for my money Fight 5 is the coolest cover of the run...

fight5.jpg

That looks awfully familiar... hm

Just a beautiful book, used to wonder if it was a pedigree (it's that nice).