• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the most underated Marvel Silver Age Artist???

46 posts in this topic

IMO it was Marie Severin & her brother John!!! Marie got her start with EC. went on to be a top Colorist & Penciller ,later for Marvel . I simply loved her work on Not Brand ECHH!!! Plus I liked her version of the Hulk & Submariner,to cite a few!! John ,I think did some incredible work on Sgt. Fury IMO!!! I really liked his work on the new Rawhide Kid that came out awhile back!! I still think he's got it!!!!

In your opinion,who do you think is also underated????

Marie Severin's work on the late Dr.Strange stories in Strange Tales was also quite good IMO.

I'll also throw Dan Adkins name into the ring as an underrated Marvel SA artist. He mostly did inking, but his pencils were also excellent. Check out the first couple issues of Dr. Strange's own series (#169 and #170) for some of his accomplished pencils.

IMO it was Marie Severin & her brother John!!! Marie got her start with EC. went on to be a top Colorist & Penciller ,later for Marvel . I simply loved her work on Not Brand ECHH!!! Plus I liked her version of the Hulk & Submariner,to cite a few!! John ,I think did some incredible work on Sgt. Fury IMO!!! I really liked his work on the new Rawhide Kid that came out awhile back!! I still think he's got it!!!!

In your opinion,who do you think is also underated????

Good call on Marie Severin. Check this out (just came across it today) - an awesome unpublished cover by Marie Severin (inked by Giacoia) to Captain America #125 - it can be yours for $5,500 at www.romitaman.com!!

cap125cover.JPG

Pre - 1968 the Marvel Bullpen was a bit small. None of the original players have gone unheralded - even those who are not fan favorites (Heck, Tuska, Colleta).

Werner Roth was competent, as was, err, Larry Lieber? Bill Everett did a fine job on DD 1. And Wally Wood was okay (but nothing like his EC best) on those DDs he did.

Gene Colan's work on ToD and Capt is VERY underrated.

Brian

Colan's dark, "swirly" style and weird angles made him great for horror, like TOD. For the very same reason, I always thought he was a really poor fit for Cap. His run on CA were probably my least favorite issues until Frank Robbins' horrific run.

gene colan is fairly underrated.

I have always mentioned Colan regardless of the age/genre he drew under. Even in the GA and pre-code his work is often passed over for the more "name" folks - but he remains probably my all time favorite. It is difficult to use words to describe, but Colan's work always imporessed me with a - how to put it - "maturity" and also a "deliberateness" - but "deliberate" isn't quite right. Studied? Controlled? Whatever, he just impresses the heck (not a pun, Supa hi.gif) out of me.

Not only with his comics work, but his art in general. The man is extremely talented his non-comic artwork is excellent, you can see some of his pieces on his website. He's also an EXTREMELY nice person, the type you meet and just immediately strike it off with.

Brian

Don Heck earlier stuff was ok, but I think later he became one of the worst overated artists ever next to Keith Giffen and Carmine Infantino's later stuff.

My vote goes for Gene Colan as well. Other artist may get even less attention, and Colan is not exactly ignored, but he belongs up there with Ditko & Kirby as far as Marvel silver age is concerned. His Captain Marvel covers are among the best of the era.

As for Don Heck - I hated him as a kid, and so did the other comic reading kids I knew, we refered to him as Don Hack. It wasn't until I was older, and discovered his horror stuff for Comic Media that I began to appreciate him. He had a sketchy "adventure-strip" style that was so unlike the Marvel house style, that we couldn't judge him fairly.

Ayers -- talk about a work-horse. That guy was probably one of the busiest Marvel SA artists. Plus, he's one heck of a nice guy. He's a regular contributor on the Yahoo! group comicart-l.

Gene "The Dean" Colan -- another of my favorites. His early Captain America, Sub-mariner and DD work we some of the best of the late 60's. You can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

George Tuska -- People like to hate Tuska but I, for one, like his stuff. Very tight -- not flash -- always consistent. I have a few pages of his and several original sketches.

Sheldon Moldoff.

Even though everyone knows he drew for DC, he did do some art for early MARVELS. STRANGE TALES as I remember.

Russ Heath would be another one. Great artist. Awesome covers by him. Especially his war issues. But I don't think he drew any covers for Marvel. He did draw a few of the Marvel monster stories though. Not many know that. Mostly short monster stories for those Marvel monster books. Could be why he was chosen to do the dinosaur war stories in STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES for DC later on.