• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Non-DC and Non-Marvel of the Day (6/19/04)

17 posts in this topic

How many times have you felt like this on the golf course?

Not for a long time....not since the last time I played!

Stunning book, terrific cover.

I am unworthy

smirk.gif

This book has everything you could ever want in a key. Classic cover with Barks art and Scrooges second cover by Barks. Golf cover. First appearance of a great side character (who "starred" in his own mag" and it is relatively rare in high grade.

One of my favorites.

wdcs140.jpg

Its a bad scan so you can't see the micro flaws. There are two slight spine lines and the lower left corner was a touch soft. I bought it raw on ebay as a VFNM and was thrilled when I received what I thought was an 8.5. The 9.0 was a pleasant surprise.

I've been off by as much as 2.0 in both directions when it comes to predicting grades. Obviously I was pleased on this one, but I've given up thinking I know what CGC will assign. Thats why I look to buy 8.0-9.2's since the quality is gorgeous and rare on pre 1965 (I'll buy 9.4 and above only if not ridiculously priced but that never happens.)

Here's some more eye candy I just got back from CGC, Millions #29 8.5, first appearance of the Onion, Richie Rich's best villain. Notice CGC give Richie's no respect and forgot to note the first appearance. Overstreet hasn't borken it out either but at least they note it. I'd pay twice guide for a 9.0 or better. Since the Onion is not on the cover I suppose its easy to over look. If you aren't familiar with Richie Villians they are unbelieveably corny. The Onion uses his bad breath to overpower everyone and rob banks and Richie's house etc. Richie or Cadbury always save the day with some invented spray or plugging his mouth or whatever. Great stuff... no wonder its hard to find these in top grade. They were destined for the quarter bin since forever and no dealer would touch them.

Ed

richmil31.jpg

A little more about the 140 and the artwork of Barks. This cover is designed like a Cezanne. The framing of the shapes is simply perfect and clearly thought through. You always look at the picture bacause Barks keeps you on the page. Notice how things point you to where you should look and in perfect balance. The bag points you to the ball and HD&L block the back end of the bag so you don't drift off left. The curving hill brings your eyes back to the ball. Scrooges hat brings you to the clubs which bring you to Donalds face. Donalds body (and swing lines) hold your eyes on the page to counter the clubs pointing off. His body points you back to Scrooge. The ball doesn't become the focus because Barks placed a background hill to cut it in half so it doesn't look like its floating. The sand holds your eyes from falling off the bottom of the page. Notice the verticle clubs off set the title from the picture yet the title line is still part of the image. If the title weren't there there would be too much sky. The plaid on his seater and hat and the hill-curve ensure it doesn't look too blocky.

Barks also created a triangle of emotion. Bottom left is a soft background boredom. Bottom right is a soft background confidence. The bag opening and bored expressions of HD&L opposite Scrooge's calm and alert smile form the bottom line, while Donalds exasperated face and sweat form the center of focus at the triangles peak.

Simply perfect.

gorgeous book and ft88's copy is beautiful, as well 893applaud-thumb.gif

i own exactly one of these from around 1954/55. it was a gift from one of my female playpals who had a subscription. we were about 7 at the time. it's beat to death and has a big spine roll, but it has her name on the subscription label. i'll always keep it cloud9.gif

gorgeous book and ft88's copy is beautiful, as well 893applaud-thumb.gif

i own exactly one of these from around 1954/55. it was a gift from one of my female playpals who had a subscription. we were about 7 at the time. it's beat to death and has a big spine roll, but it has her name on the subscription label. i'll always keep it cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif I'm not old enough to have bought these off the newsstands in their first runs, but my sister and I grew up reading GK Duck books that we purchased off the newsstands in the 1970s, which of course were primarily reprints of the great Barks stories from the 40s and 50s. They are thoroughly trashed (soup stains, tears, creases, you name it), but they will never ever leave my possession, even though I've purchased many higher grade copies since.

Here's some more eye candy I just got back from CGC, Millions #29 8.5, first appearance of the Onion, Richie Rich's best villain. Notice CGC give Richie's no respect and forgot to note the first appearance. Overstreet hasn't borken it out either but at least they note it. I'd pay twice guide for a 9.0 or better. Since the Onion is not on the cover I suppose its easy to over look. If you aren't familiar with Richie Villians they are unbelieveably corny. The Onion uses his bad breath to overpower everyone and rob banks and Richie's house etc. Richie or Cadbury always save the day with some invented spray or plugging his mouth or whatever. Great stuff... no wonder its hard to find these in top grade. They were destined for the quarter bin since forever and no dealer would touch them.

I loved those Richie Rich's when I was a kid. The Onion cracked me up. The coolest thing about Richie Rich is he had the world's best comic collection. I always remembered that issue, when some con man was trying to sell him some investments and suggested he buy comics, and Richie shows him this full room and says he already has every comic ever published. Even as an 8-year old I could already sigh and say "It would be great to be Richie Rich!"

Another Richie RIch classic, first appearance of Rippy and Crashman (Super Richie)

CGC robbed me on this one. If it were a modern I could see a 7.5 but there is only soft wear at the corners, the spine is near perfect.

rr56.jpg