• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I think most people have a certain expectation that if they offer something and it's claimed, the next offer should have a similar level of appeal. I use the word appeal and not value, because we aren't supposed to discuss value, and that is in part some of the issue here. Appeal is somewhat subjective, while value really isn't. You can however tell if something has appeal, if it's claimed quickly. Generally all my offers are claimed within an hour or two. Usually they aren't very valuable but they have appeal (I think).

I have a suggestion for a way to solve that issue, update the rules to encourage making offers that have good appeal without bringing value into the equation. If something isn't claimed within 48 hours, a completely new offer should be submitted. If you can't create an offer that is claimed within 96 hours you should put what you previously claimed back up on the offer block. It may seem a bit harsh but it would completely resolve these types of issues.

So, a re-ship?

-slym

Option 1 Giant Size Spiderman #2, Marvel Milestones Blade, Vf-Nm

DSC00276.jpg

Option 2 The Uncanny X-men #268 (Classic Cover) NM

DSC00277.jpg

Option 3 X-O Manowar #1 1:20 Variant NM

DSC00278.jpg

Are these the latest PIF offerings?

:bump:

???

-slym

TAKE THEM ALL, ALso included is a Turok Son Of Stone #80 From Gold Key

Giant Size Spiderman #2, Marvel Milestones Blade, Vf-Nm

DSC00276.jpg

The Uncanny X-men #268 (Classic Cover) NM

DSC00277.jpg

X-O Manowar #1 1:20 Variant NM

DSC00278.jpg

Which GREEDY people don't seem to get if its noo a silverage, or a book worth who knows what, We get the short end of the stick. From all you other folks, I post what I have if someone has something better then me then god bless them and there kindness. But in no wat shape or form am I throwing up my Steve Gerber Signed book for free. Would You?

Isnt that what this thread is really about, about posting a book regardless of what it is, and to just have things circulate and everyone be happy, Not nit picking on one guy bc he had some issues to resolve, with his household and family.

This is the problem. You're sharting on the spirit of the thread. If you want to post what you feel is acceptable, despite the fact that it sits forever, and then feel its not your problem, and lash out when anyone comments, why participate? No one expects a high grade book, but a little effort would be nice.

It's not about greed on the receiving end, it's about generosity on the giving end.

It's not about greed on the receiving end, it's about generosity on the giving end.

This here.

Seriously, this whole exchange - and the previous ones that have happened over the last couple months - are really bumming me out. This was and should be the coolest thread on the entire forums. It's about giving each other free comics, man. It's supposed to be awesome.

Let's please get back to that and leave this other nonsense behind.

This here.

Seriously, this whole exchange - and the previous ones that have happened over the last couple months - are really bumming me out. This was and should be the coolest thread on the entire forums. It's about giving each other free comics, man. It's supposed to be awesome.

Let's please get back to that and leave this other nonsense behind.

And in order to do just that, I feel that a new rule should be established like the ones we've discussed. I'm certain many others feel similarly.

The whole board should be participating in a thread like this; let's make that happen.

I think 5 books that value atleast $60 is more than good

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

I am having trouble following you here...

:shrug:

-slym

I hope this thread continues regardless.

I have been waiting ONE year to participate in this thread. I waited because I was in no position to participate.

Now that I have a big pile of goodies waiting to be given out.

I consider being a member of this forum as a privilege due to its already established circle of fellow comic collectors. I have met few floridans from this forum and they have been nothing but nice and easy to work with.

Good luck with whatever the conclusion of this thread be.

I think 5 books that value atleast $60 is more than good

-Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

I am having trouble following you here...

:shrug:

-slym

I don't follow this thread much but can you have a PIF offer up and also list the books as available for sale here !??!!

:insane:

I think most people have a certain expectation that if they offer something and it's claimed, the next offer should have a similar level of appeal. I use the word appeal and not value, because we aren't supposed to discuss value, and that is in part some of the issue here. Appeal is somewhat subjective, while value really isn't. You can however tell if something has appeal, if it's claimed quickly. Generally all my offers are claimed within an hour or two. Usually they aren't very valuable but they have appeal (I think).

I have a suggestion for a way to solve that issue, update the rules to encourage making offers that have good appeal without bringing value into the equation. If something isn't claimed within 48 hours, a completely new offer should be submitted. If you can't create an offer that is claimed within 96 hours you should put what you previously claimed back up on the offer block. It may seem a bit harsh but it would completely resolve these types of issues.

So, a re-ship?

-slym

yeah that's basically where I was going with that. if it turns out that someone is forced to re-ship because they couldn't come up with an offer people wanted to claim, and they refuse, the get banned/HOS/Whatever and we just move on. i just look at it as the cost of doing business, and it keeps things simple and friendly still.

Maybe a new thread (V2) with some new rules?

I know with a pay-it-forward it is about the spirit of the thing and it should be but I also like the thread because A) it's like a super fun game when it's really moving in the right direction and B) it gives me the chance to snag something I think is cool or different for my collection that I might not normally buy or treat myself to and C) It gives me a chance to try and match or exceed the coolness that I received and that is fun in its own way too!

Why ont people just take them, Like the thread was made for? Not specific tastes, Its FREE BOOKS TAKE THEM

I've been involved with this thread since NamesJay started it. I'm the one who asked Arch to make it a sticky thread so we could keep it on the front page, because at first, that was the only way to give this thread a chance. I still check the thread every time I log in. But more and more lately, anytime there are more than 5 new posts in the thread, it's because of arguing over an offer rather than offers moving. I'm not siding either way on the current issue, nor am I going to offer a suggestion for a solution such as a rule change because as adults, I expect the participants to understand the point of this thread, and act accordingly. That seems to be wishful thinking, but it is what it is.

That said, let's get the thread back on track. Mkkiller, :takeit:

The books will be going to Akron's Children Hospital.

I'll have my offer up within an hour or so.

Why ont people just take them, Like the thread was made for? Not specific tastes, Its FREE BOOKS TAKE THEM

I've been involved with this thread since NamesJay started it. I'm the one who asked Arch to make it a sticky thread so we could keep it on the front page, because at first, that was the only way to give this thread a chance. I still check the thread every time I log in. But more and more lately, anytime there are more than 5 new posts in the thread, it's because of arguing over an offer rather than offers moving. I'm not siding either way on the current issue, nor am I going to offer a suggestion for a solution such as a rule change because as adults, I expect the participants to understand the point of this thread, and act accordingly. That seems to be wishful thinking, but it is what it is.

That said, let's get the thread back on track. Mkkiller, :takeit:

The books will be going to Akron's Children Hospital.

I'll have my offer up within an hour or so.

:applause: