• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

I can understand the frustration from both sides :pullhair:

Like others, this was the first thread I would check when getting on the boards. It also came at a time I was wanting to do something similar to help boost morale around here (things were pretty rough for a bit).

What I loved about it was the excitement of not knowing what cool stuff would come up next. Not necessarily big dollar stuff, just cool things. Things that some (not everyone) would love to have. One of my favorites was a stack of old books that included an AF15 reprint. Worth a lot of money? Not really, but valuable to me because I'll never own a first print and that's as close as I'll get.

Not discussing the value (or perceived value) makes sense to keep people from knit picking or making some feel obligated to contribute more than they can afford. But, the title is Pay It Forward, not "Pass It Along". This would denote some type of value, again not necessarily monetary. I just feel like that's been lost along the way.

I tried to think of it this way, if it hurts a little to let it go then it's a good offer. If it hurts a lot to let it go, then it's a great one.

Hopefully we can revive this thread back to what it once was my fellow "junk donkeys"

I can understand the frustration from both sides :pullhair:

Like others, this was the first thread I would check when getting on the boards. It also came at a time I was wanting to do something similar to help boost morale around here (things were pretty rough for a bit).

What I loved about it was the excitement of not knowing what cool stuff would come up next. Not necessarily big dollar stuff, just cool things. Things that some (not everyone) would love to have. One of my favorites was a stack of old books that included an AF15 reprint. Worth a lot of money? Not really, but valuable to me because I'll never own a first print and that's as close as I'll get.

Not discussing the value (or perceived value) makes sense to keep people from knit picking or making some feel obligated to contribute more than they can afford. But, the title is Pay It Forward, not "Pass It Along". This would denote some type of value, again not necessarily monetary. I just feel like that's been lost along the way.

I tried to think of it this way, if it hurts a little to let it go then it's a good offer. If it hurts a lot to let it go, then it's a great one.

Hopefully we can revive this thread back to what it once was my fellow "junk donkeys"

You Nailed It! The best items ever were the ones that were cool, not valuable.

I get both sides honestly.

When I see something nice taken and in return a couple of $0.50 books are left, it's easy to think that they are just sniping in on the good stuff and taking advantage of the program. :frustrated:

At the same time, it is a PIF and basically a gift. You don't get mad when someone gets their Starbucks paid for and doesn't pay for the next guys, do you?

I'm sure there ARE people from time to time that will just work the system and only jump in when a graded book is offered up but i feel that most of us are here to pick up something good to read, with the possibility of something collectible going up from time to time.

When i see something minimal (in my eyes) offered, I try to remember that not everyone has expensive and/or collectible books and possibly could be new to collecting and don't have much to offer, in which case, a thread where they could possibly pick up a nice book to start them out would be a good place to start, so long as they are not ridiculed for what they can offer up. Who knows, maybe that same person later down the road offers up a Hulk 181 or something...

I will say one thing, the only time i really don't enjoy this thread is when people start person_without_enough_empathying about what the last few people have posted.

As for How do we fix this, I'll offer up my 2c .

We could post a minimum value limit (this go's against the idea of a Pay it Forward, IMO)

or

We could make a rule where after "X" amount of time the offer at the current time would need to be changed or added to (seems to be what happens most of the time anyway)

or

people that are going to get bent out of shape over the thread shouldn't participate.

But then again, i'm just a new guy, i probably don't know what i'm talking about...

I'm new it this thread and site too, but I saw the same thing happen in a baseball card one at another site. What stifled things was when some judgemental people made people afraid to claim lots and post things for fear of being deemed not good enough.

I think all you can ask is that people be civil to each other. If you want to participate, great. If not, that's great too. But no reason to make someone else feel bad. What you see as "junk" might be just about the best thing someone else has. And someone who doesn't have much...wouldn't you want them to get some good stuff?

Only suggestion I'd make from experience is if someone puts up a lot that sits, as a "have" just publicly post an "I'll take it!" and then put something up yourself. And you can message them and tell them to keep the books if they want if it is your choice, or if you think that would embarrass them just let them send them. The act of taking a lesser lot is another example of "paying it forward" after all. Because you're going to make someone feel good.

I'm new it this thread and site too, but I saw the same thing happen in a baseball card one at another site. What stifled things was when some judgemental people made people afraid to claim lots and post things for fear of being deemed not good enough.

I think all you can ask is that people be civil to each other. If you want to participate, great. If not, that's great too. But no reason to make someone else feel bad. What you see as "junk" might be just about the best thing someone else has. And someone who doesn't have much...wouldn't you want them to get some good stuff?

Only suggestion I'd make from experience is if someone puts up a lot that sits, as a "have" just publicly post an "I'll take it!" and then put something up yourself. And you can message them and tell them to keep the books if they want if it is your choice, or if you think that would embarrass them just let them send them. The act of taking a lesser lot is another example of "paying it forward" after all. Because you're going to make someone feel good.

Oh you can't just go claiming stuff to move the process along here, people will send you angry PM's telling you not to encourage the bad behavior of people posting poop. Ask me how I know.

Thank you for posting your experience. This is the heart of the issue, the reason the rules are structured the way they are, and the road map for why PIF has kept going this long.

tech: Out the people who send you bullying PMs. Allowing them to influence your participation justifies their rude behavior.

In a "free" PIF forum, what is the difference between what I would deem as poop vs monetary value other than greed if I choose not to take it because it is not valued as much as I want?

You notice this was all about "I". What I want, what I value, etc.

I liked this thread because it does offer people a chance to get a few books to get and read or something they have been looking for a while. To me, those OS price guides I got are of more value than any graded book because I value the guides for personal usage. I got from another member some old Buyers Guides for Comic Fandoms. Yes, they were torn, worn, and tattered, but I wanted them. They were of value to ME.

I have been afraid to try to get more things being afraid of what I put up not being deemed worthy. Not that somebody might want to read the stories and possibly pass them on, but are they wroth enough. I picked up some GL:Emerald Dawns I & II sets that I thought might go good on here, but from what I have been reading I am skeptical.

Ask yourselves when you pass up what others are offering if you are passing them up because they are not your forte or if you deem them not a good enough monetary deal.

I probably have over 450 TPB's and love reading stories. I would love to see more of that up.

In a "free" PIF forum, what is the difference between what I would deem as poop vs monetary value other than greed if I choose not to take it because it is not valued as much as I want?

You notice this was all about "I". What I want, what I value, etc.

I liked this thread because it does offer people a chance to get a few books to get and read or something they have been looking for a while. To me, those OS price guides I got are of more value than any graded book because I value the guides for personal usage. I got from another member some old Buyers Guides for Comic Fandoms. Yes, they were torn, worn, and tattered, but I wanted them. They were of value to ME.

I have been afraid to try to get more things being afraid of what I put up not being deemed worthy. Not that somebody might want to read the stories and possibly pass them on, but are they wroth enough. I picked up some GL:Emerald Dawns I & II sets that I thought might go good on here, but from what I have been reading I am skeptical.

Ask yourselves when you pass up what others are offering if you are passing them up because they are not your forte or if you deem them not a good enough monetary deal.

I probably have over 450 TPB's and love reading stories. I would love to see more of that up.

:golfclap: (thumbs u

Well put. I took the FF annuals because they looked like a good read not because they're worth a lot. I offered books that I thought were a good read and was told they were junk. That defenders #5 may not be an X-Men #3 but its still worth a few $$ and a really good read. I hope the member that claimed my offering likes the books as much as I did :banana:

tech: Out the people who send you bullying PMs. Allowing them to influence your participation justifies their rude behavior.

I've posted in this thread, who it was, a while back. It was Beige, and other people so he said, though he never named them, for taking numerous offers from slym2none.

IMG_2707.JPG ASM 265 and 100 Bullets Brother Lono #1

IMG_2706.JPG and Baltimore: Plague Ships 1-5

So some good reading material and a copper key. Criticism welcome. Offer is for the whole lot. US shipping only.

:bump:

This is what happens with office Christmas gifts, and the only solution is to enact a "maximum value" limit so you don't have people bringing in iPads and some knob wrapping up 10-year old chocolates from an old gift basket he found in the basement.

That's why there is a max limit on these things, and in the absence of common sense (which is really the root of the problem), it usually works.

But, the title is Pay It Forward, not "Pass It Along". This would denote some type of value, again not necessarily monetary. I just feel like that's been lost along the way.

Well said, and I always thought this thread about about one person offering up a "cool item" they no longer want, and then the recipient offering a similar item they no longer want to someone else. Like a equitable trade, only between unrelated parties. Repeat that a few hundred times and everyone is happy.