• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

What's a "Giving Tree"?

:baiting:

GivingTree_zpsdea9693e.jpg

:devil:

(tsk)

Be nice! Swick put a lot of hard work in that thread. Personally, I don't know how he dealt with the stress!

What's a "Giving Tree"?

:baiting:

GivingTree_zpsdea9693e.jpg

:devil:

(tsk)

Be nice! Swick put a lot of hard work in that thread. Personally, I don't know how he dealt with the stress!

Totally messing with Harvey. He put his heart and soul into the thread but it became apparent the thread was quickly becoming the PIF with a different name and slightly different rules.

TGT was great, only difficult to handle because of greed. That’s unavoidable.

PIF has more potential to get back up even if when it stops being abused, IMO… :)

Fixed it Vaillant!

Has anyone ever gone back and checked out the first 10 pages of this thread? The origins so to speak. The first few offers were nice TPBs or a slab someone may have not wanted in their collection. A nice set of mid grade bronze war books. Perfectly nice offers but no where near the OA or key books offers that are needed now to get a taker.

The problem with Paying Forward books you do not want is most people do not want them also or the price to ship the reader books makes it beneficial to only the post man. I think I may have lost track of the intent of the thread over the last few months. Can anyone fill me in on what the actual intent of the thread is?

The intent was to give away something you no longer use which might be appreciated by others but as you say – more than often – it’s the postal service (not the postman lol ) which benefits from this.

Of course, when you have something unusual and nice it makes the thread go nicely, but the offers are generally all good… problem besides postage is being enough interested to grab what is up.

That sounds like the type of question you ask if you want a Friday thread! Obviously the intent is to claim something you like and pass on something you think someone else will like. Some still do that. Sometimes it may be something not as nice as you claimed and other times it may be something much nicer than what you picked. That is ok as well as long as intentions are good. Only the giver knows that. Well, unless its legos from Walmart or something in which case everyone would know. lol

The reason why it takes a lot for someone to jump in now is that a lot of people left due to drama or the small element of undesirables in the thread. No one wants to send something they care about to someone they know is going to put it on Ebay the day it arrives. (Yes, those that do that know who they are) There is still a very strong contingent of players having fun and care about playing that right way but as TGT showed, no amount of rules will stop the bad so you have to do the best you can.

No Friday thread needed.

For me the point of the thread is to get rid of the stuff in my closet that I have no desire to sell but that maybe I could trade for things I like, like OA, or things that are new to me - slabs for instance. I consider it a swap meet and trade market. I have seen some crazy awesome offers in the last 2 months or so (20 tpbs or something like that? Awesome!) and am also trying to have that spirit - that what I am offering is for fun and good faith/karma as much as something material. So I am in it for slabs and OA and maybe something else that is groovy to me and I am in it to give some cool things to people who may not have access to them or known about them before. In the process I can empty my closet and maybe meet some new people here on the boards.

I organized my 2 Dr. Strange short boxes today for a future PIF offer. I took out the Hulk box next but it is too much for now.

Oh, and feel free to sell stuff you get from me, trade it away, give it to some kids, whatever. I will eventually do the same as I am moving to Hawaii in 12 years. But I want a wall of slabs first!

can someone tell me who and what is up for grabs, I been chomping at the bit to chip in and have a few goodies already set aside for this :)

Big daddy is up.three or four pages back is his stuff. He has 5 hours or so left I think, you can save the day if you like one of the options! (No pressure!)

For me the point of the thread is to get rid of the stuff in my closet that I have no desire to sell but that maybe I could trade for things I like, like OA, or things that are new to me - slabs for instance. I consider it a swap meet and trade market. I have seen some crazy awesome offers in the last 2 months or so (20 tpbs or something like that? Awesome!) and am also trying to have that spirit - that what I am offering is for fun and good faith/karma as much as something material. So I am in it for slabs and OA and maybe something else that is groovy to me and I am in it to give some cool things to people who may not have access to them or known about them before. In the process I can empty my closet and maybe meet some new people here on the boards.

I organized my 2 Dr. Strange short boxes today for a future PIF offer. I took out the Hulk box next but it is too much for now.

Oh, and feel free to sell stuff you get from me, trade it away, give it to some kids, whatever. I will eventually do the same as I am moving to Hawaii in 12 years. But I want a wall of slabs first!

Treating the thread like a swap meet or trading thread works great as long as everyone is trading OA or nice books since most everyone wants a copy. A bunch of random books from the closet so to speak is not high on peoples want list and the thread comes to a halt and possibly dies.

A trading thread was tried but did not last long because as I see it most people want sweet books but don't necessarily want to trade their sweet books to get it.

If everyone donated in the same spirit as Bird, the thread would just fly: true, he offered modern books, but full runs and interesting material.

I for myself would have spent more (including the shipping which we are splitting) to buy these now, and probably I would not have done so.

I think it is perfectly OK to "get rid" of things you don’t need, but you should also have some generosity, and not grab whatever strikes your fancy and offer "drek", so to speak… :)