• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay seller keycomics a board member ?

14 posts in this topic

He is listing an IMSM #1 CGC 9.8 on ebay.

ebay listing

He actually snatched it from me on CL for $3,150

Listing

While I can accept the flip ( and what a flip at that :o ), I don't appreciate the BS in his description:

"IF YOU ARE A LONG-TERM COLLECTOR OF HIGH GRADE VINTAGE COMICS, THEN YOU KNOW THAT THIS FIRST IRON MAN #1 COMIC HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE OF THE MORE INFLUENTIAL BOOKS OF THE PAST HALF CENTURY, AND A TRUE BLUE CHIP IN HIGH GRADE SHAPE. IN VIRTUALLY EVERY YEAR, ZERO COPIES CHANGE HANDS IN SUCH SHAPE; AND ON THAT EXTREMELY RARE OCCASION WHEN A SIMILAR COPY (9.8) DOES SURFACE, IT COMMANDED $14,000.00 LAST TIME. AND BESIDES THAT, ONLY ONE OTHER DOCUMENTED SALE IN THIS SUPERLATIVE STATE EXISTS, AND THAT'S IN THE WHOLE DOZEN YEARS THAT GPA HAS BEEN MONITORING SALES OF CGC-CERTIFIED COMICS IN THE MARKETPLACE; AND MOST SILVER-AGE COMICS DON'T POSSESS THE UNBEATABLE FLAT-OUT WHITE PAGES. SO THIS WELL-CENTERED 9.8 COPY WITH UNIMPROVABLE PAPER QUALITY IS THE FINEST COPY THAT EVEN ODIN CAN HOPE TO ATTAIN."

I have documented every single sale of IMSM #1 in 9.8 ( over the last year alone, 4 of the 8 copies were sold on the marketplace )

Yes, go ahead and flip but don't use GPA as a punchline. Wanker.

BTW, the "$14,000 sale" was falsely reported to GPA and I know very well who made that claim. He still holds the book to this day. He too likes very much to use GPA as a punchline, when it suits him ... naturally.

Considering how he bought his 9.8 only a couple of months ago, he must have forgot all about "his purchase"

Again, it's not the flip that bothers me, it's the false marketing used...

ugh, I think GPA in its current state causes harm (not always just good).....George, where are you? What can we do about all this?

Not sure GPA can do much roulette. There are those that simply don't report and it's not up to GPA to police all reports ( at least I think not ) of those that do..

ugh, I think GPA in its current state causes harm (not always just good).....George, where are you? What can we do about all this?

How is it causing harm? GPA does what it's supposed to do, it gives you a nice chunk of info for a relatively cheap price. GPA takes a snap shot from a number of sources. You'll never get all of them. It does take a little thinking to value something. It's not always just about the last recorded sale. If that was the case everything would just spiral downward.

How is it causing harm? GPA does what it's supposed to do, it gives you a nice chunk of info for a relatively cheap price. GPA takes a snap shot from a number of sources. You'll never get all of them. It does take a little thinking to value something. It's not always just about the last recorded sale. If that was the case everything would just spiral downward.

I think what roulette44 is getting at is that data that is inaccurate or incomplete can lead to bad decisions. You know...GIGO...Garbage In Garbage Out.

In my opinion, GPA is a great service, but it's a starting point, not the definitive word.

GPA data should be used in conjunction with other sources as well as personal experience and awareness of bad data points to arrive at estimated price points.

This kind of overkill hyperbole simply gives me a headache while I'm trying to read it.   After a couple of paragraphs or so it's like the writer is trying to cave my head in with a shovel. Too much for me. :facepalm: