• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Challenge: Silver Age 'Investment' Keys in 9.2+ for under $1500!

54 posts in this topic

I have been sick lately and have had a lot of time to think, read, and do some research. As I add to my collection(s), I want to start doing it by price point and grade; while getting the 'boards' general consensus on what books make good long term buys.

Here is the 'silver age challenge.' I am looking for advice on silver age key issues in CGC 9.2 or above for under $1500. It can be by any publisher, but it cannot be restored! Only true 'universal' grades qualify. Let me know what you recommend.

It should be noted that I was originally going to use $2000, but thought $1500 is a little more of a challenge. I did however allow 9.2 as my baseline and not 9.4.

Curious to any recommendations. I thank you all in advance!

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I have been sick lately and have had a lot of time to think, read, and do some research. As I add to my collection(s), I want to start doing it by price point and grade; while getting the 'boards' general consensus on what books make good long term buys.

Here is the 'silver age challenge.' I am looking for advice on silver age key issues in CGC 9.2 or above for under $1500. It can be by any publisher, but it cannot be restored! Only true 'universal' grades qualify. Let me know what you recommend.

It should be noted that I was originally going to use $2000, but thought $1500 is a little more of a challenge. I did however allow 9.2 as my baseline and not 9.4.

Curious to any recommendations. I thank you all in advance!

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

You're not really serious are you? :insane:

Here are some more:

Silver Surfer 1 and all of the 68' 'expansion' keys, Strange Tales 135, TTA 60, and many more. Not every good investment book needs to be an AF 15, Hulk 1, or X-Men 1. In fact I would argue that some of those are 'over-valued.'

Both an FF 48 and a Thor 126 fall into this realm perfectly. Yes, I am serious!

Oh I know what you mean, I just thought you wanted people to trawl through various selling platforms and tell you about books that fall into this criteria, cos y'know I don't really feel like doing that. I must have read it wrong :eyeroll:

Oh I know what you mean, I just thought you wanted people to trawl through various selling platforms and tell you about books that fall into this criteria, cos y'know I don't really feel like doing that. I must have read it wrong :eyeroll:

Just looking for opinions on books. If you don't want to participate, you by no means have to. I am not looking for info about where books are sold or anything along those lines. I just want forum members opinions on books they consider keys, and their thoughts; based on the criteria above.

Anyone can advise someone to buy the highest graded AF 15 possible, but to analyze smaller keys and their potential value; within set guidelines, is a challenge.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Just looking for opinions on books. If you don't want to participate, you by no means have to. I am not looking for info about where books are sold or anything along those lines. I just want forum members opinions on books they consider keys, and their thoughts; based on the criteria above.

Anyone can advise someone to buy the highest graded AF 15 possible, but to analyze smaller keys and their potential value; within set guidelines, is a challenge.

Respectfully,

'mint'

(thumbs u

Posting in a mint thread!

:whee::whee::whee:

:eyeroll:

Yes, but keep in mind that your recommendations only need to be near mint minus!

What, you didn't get the PM to 'ignore' me? Even I got it! My reply was that may be quite difficult; as I have been trying to ignore the better part of me for 35 years now. It hasn't worked to well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

A lot of members have been recommending FF 48-50. It seems I may be leaning in this direction for my next buys. I had Thor 126 on the list, but prices gave been all over the place on that issue. I have seen it sell for as low as $800, all the way to $1300. Would not know what to pay for it at this time; even with GPA.

A lot of members have been recommending FF 48-50. It seems I may be leaning in this direction for my next buys. I had Thor 126 on the list, but prices gave been all over the place on that issue. I have seen it sell for as low as $800, all the way to $1300. Would not know what to pay for it at this time; even with GPA.

I wouldn't think that Thor 126 would be much of a key. Unlike the changeover from the split books ( TOS, TTA and ST) a little later, it barely seems like a "now in his own title" event. It's a cool battle cover, but I'm guessing at the time most readers didn't even notice that Journey into Mystery was gone from the title, and Marvel, never a company to shy away from labeling a book an "milestone", didn't even see fit to hype the change on the cover.

How much growth potential is really there for FF#48? It's a great book and it, most definitley, qualifies as a key.

However, it's one of the most common keys of all. Common in HG too. The market reflects that with prices basically the same over the past couple years.