• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Challenge: Silver Age 'Investment' Keys in 9.2+ for under $1500!

54 posts in this topic

A lot of members have been recommending FF 48-50. It seems I may be leaning in this direction for my next buys. I had Thor 126 on the list, but prices gave been all over the place on that issue. I have seen it sell for as low as $800, all the way to $1300. Would not know what to pay for it at this time; even with GPA.

How much growth potential is really there for FF#48? It's a great book and it, most definitley, qualifies as a key.

However, it's one of the most common keys of all. Common in HG too. The market reflects that with prices basically the same over the past couple years.

.....the use of the generic term "investment" makes this confusing. We should clarify short term or long term. TTA 49 might be a possibility, depending on the evolution of the Avengers franchise. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think the OP needs to define what he considers a key first. FF 48 - absolutely a first tier key book. FF 50 and Thor 126, which have been mentioned as possible purchases are not key books to me in any way, shape or form. But that is just my opinion of what a "key" is. Without knowing what he considers a key, I have to use my definition. With my definition, there probably aren't that many books that can be had in 9.2 for $1500 or less.

I would suggest TOS 50 and ASM 50. First appearance of a major Marvel villain in each. Good chance we see the Mandarin as a villain in one of the upcoming Iron Man films. ASM 50 has one of the most classic covers of the SA and the TOS 50 cover isn't so bad either. Both titles have a lot of demand. The only monkey in the wrench here is that I don't know that $1500 would get you a 9.2 but I believe they are both in the ballpark. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Amazing Spider-Man #25, #39, #40 or #41 (all great key's and can be had in 9.2 for below $1500. I see lots of potential in the #41)

Captain America #100 (should be able to go up to 9.4 on this one)

HOS #92 (although at 1971, guess this would be a BA book)

Iron Man #1

Tales of Suspense #52 (possible if private sale, since GPA is around $1700) or #65 (9.4 on this one?)

TEC #359 would probably be a smart buy as well and it's right about at the price point.

Amazing Spider-Man #25, #39, #40 or #41 (all great key's and can be had in 9.2 for below $1500. I see lots of potential in the #41)

Captain America #100 (should be able to go up to 9.4 on this one)

HOS #92 (although at 1971, guess this would be a BA book)

Iron Man #1

Tales of Suspense #52 (possible if private sale, since GPA is around $1700) or #65 (9.4 on this one?)

TEC #359 would probably be a smart buy as well and it's right about at the price point.

It's funny that you mention TOS 52, as I bought that copy for $1725!

I think the OP needs to define what he considers a key first. FF 48 - absolutely a first tier key book. FF 50 and Thor 126, which have been mentioned as possible purchases are not key books to me in any way, shape or form. But that is just my opinion of what a "key" is. Without knowing what he considers a key, I have to use my definition. With my definition, there probably aren't that many books that can be had in 9.2 for $1500 or less.

I would suggest TOS 50 and ASM 50. First appearance of a major Marvel villain in each. Good chance we see the Mandarin as a villain in one of the upcoming Iron Man films. ASM 50 has one of the most classic covers of the SA and the TOS 50 cover isn't so bad either. Both titles have a lot of demand. The only monkey in the wrench here is that I don't know that $1500 would get you a 9.2 but I believe they are both in the ballpark. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Aren't first issues of a new series considered keys? First issues are. I have seen other forum members who refer to Thor 126 among others; a 'key' book. Heck, some even call the 'Crypt of Shadows' 1 a key, as it is a first issue. I would think Thor 126 is much more significant than a bronze age horror comic with a very small following.

Silver Age 9.2 for $1500 and under?

Sounds like you have cash that is burning a hole in your pocket!

Not sure if an "Investment" 9.2 Silver Age book can be had for $1500 or less other than what has already been mentioned. The problem with a lot of the suggestions already made are books that are common. Save the $1500 and wait until you have more cash together, then go look for something. Otherwise, you'll just end up with something too common for the price to move upward.

Aren't first issues of a new series considered keys? First issues are. I have seen other forum members who refer to Thor 126 among others; a 'key' book. Heck, some even call the 'Crypt of Shadows' 1 a key, as it is a first issue. I would think Thor 126 is much more significant than a bronze age horror comic with a very small following.

The only thing that happened in Thor 126 is the title changed from Journey Into Mystery to Thor. IMO there is nothing key about that. But as I said, you need to define what you consider a "key". To me 1st appearance or death of a major character, origin or some other major event are 1st tier keys.

It seems that some people look at scarcity and classic cover books as keys. JIM 89 for example, as much as I love it and as hard as it is to find in high grade, is not a key of any sort IMO although you will probably find that book on the want list of most SA collectors. You just need to figure out what you consider a key as I think there is a lot of gray area there and everyone probably has a different opinion on the matter.

I do view first issues as keys. While I understand your analysis on Thor 126, to me it is a borderline key. I would also assume that a lot of other collectors at least view it as a semi-key judging by what has been said on this forum and others. I do not consider 'classic' covers key issues; or scarce books, keys.

As for the statement if spending more cash, the challenge is what it is. I am not comfortable spending more than $2000 on a comic book at present time.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

.....if you invest 2K in a Thor 126, I wouldn't expect much return in the forseeable future. A Fantastic Four 45 at that level may be a good one. Most of the keys that truly have investment potential at 9.2 will cost you 10 times as much as you're willing to spend. A sharp Aquaman # 1 might be had. One thing a lot of people miss about investing is that you're actually buying a book with someone ELSE in mind, so the sensibilities need to reflect what person "X" is going to acquire from you when the time comes to sell. Iron Man 1 is about the only Marvel "key" that seems to have any growth potential from the late 60's. A Strange Tales 115 (origIn of Dr. Strange) may be smart, if the rumoured Disney/Del Toro movie ever materializes. Avengers 57 is another. Collecting with investment in mind is always a risky venture....it can be VERY difficult to remain objective. GOD BLESS....

How much growth potential is really there for FF#48? It's a great book and it, most definitley, qualifies as a key.

However, it's one of the most common keys of all. Common in HG too. The market reflects that with prices basically the same over the past couple years.

Prices have remained the same for far more than a couple of years--FF 48 has remained the same or gone down for over a decade. Poor investment due to it being a part of one or possibly more than one warehouse find. I have two copies--an 8.5 that is worth about the same as what I paid for it a decade ago, and a 9.6 copy that has probably decreased since I bought it three years ago.

A Fantastic Four 45 at that level may be a good one.

FF 45 is not a key to anyone except an FF run collector--it doesn't go up in value like the true keys do. FF 52 is another matter entirely--it's about the only example of an FF key that seems to meet the original poster's criteria. If you had bought a 9.2 copy a decade go at market values for the time, you would have handily beaten the rise of inflation on that investment and probably exceeded the appreciation of most mutual funds.

Are you referring to just Marvel keys or do DCs enter into the equation. There are many second appearances of main characteres or villians that I believe are good investments. Take Detective Comics 230, 1st appearance of the Mad Hatter. The two highest grades of this book are an 8.5 and an 8.0. Granted, it's a tought book to find, but it has a lot of investment potential and could be had for $1500.00. The problem is that as of now there are not 9.0s let alone 9.2s.

I'm not certain what a Superman 146 in 9.2 would go for as the book very rarely comes to market. There are 8 9.2s in the census' however there have been eight 9.2s for many years and the collectors hat do posseses them just don't want to see their copies. However, if one came to market perhaps it might bring $1500.00; however it might bring nearly double that. BTW, it contains the complete Origin of Superman.

SLR

Are you referring to just Marvel keys or do DCs enter into the equation. There are many second appearances of main characteres or villians that I believe are good investments. Take Detective Comics 230, 1st appearance of the Mad Hatter. The two highest grades of this book are an 8.5 and an 8.0. Granted, it's a tought book to find, but it has a lot of investment potential and could be had for $1500.00. The problem is that as of now there are not 9.0s let alone 9.2s.

I'm not certain what a Superman 146 in 9.2 would go for as the book very rarely comes to market. There are 8 9.2s in the census' however there have been eight 9.2s for many years and the collectors hat do posseses them just don't want to see their copies. However, if one came to market perhaps it might bring $1500.00; however it might bring nearly double that. BTW, it contains the complete Origin of Superman.

SLR

Keep in mind that DC comics are fine as well. however, note the challenge, 9.2 or above and under $1500. Any one, as you are aware; can name keys to 'invest' in if there were no parameters.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS As for Iron Man 1; I already have the Twin Cities Pedigree copy in 9.4!

.....if you invest 2K in a Thor 126, I wouldn't expect much return in the forseeable future. A Fantastic Four 45 at that level may be a good one. Most of the keys that truly have investment potential at 9.2 will cost you 10 times as much as you're willing to spend. A sharp Aquaman # 1 might be had. One thing a lot of people miss about investing is that you're actually buying a book with someone ELSE in mind, so the sensibilities need to reflect what person "X" is going to acquire from you when the time comes to sell. Iron Man 1 is about the only Marvel "key" that seems to have any growth potential from the late 60's. A Strange Tales 115 (origIn of Dr. Strange) may be smart, if the rumoured Disney/Del Toro movie ever materializes. Avengers 57 is another. Collecting with investment in mind is always a risky venture....it can be VERY difficult to remain objective. GOD BLESS....

First, I would NEVER 'invest' $2,000 in a Thor 126. I saw a 9.2 end in a C-Link auction a few months back at around $750-$800; I believe? I would have to check my archives to confirm, but if I was that seller I would have cried. It went for a 'song.' I missed it because I was going after another book. At that price, you would not lose on that book. I would never pay the 'multiples' required to own the book in 9.4. Heck, I have seen this book on dealer sites for well over $2400 in 9.4. That, in my opinion; is 'insane.'

I remember when I bought my Strange Tales #135 in 9.2. I could not believe the multiples being paid for a 9.4 versus a 9.2. This is already a $850-$900+ book in 9.2; yet collectors are paying well over $2200 or more for this same book in 9.4. I am always cautious of wide price spreads much like these because if more books hit the market that 'gap' is going to close; leaving a lot of 9.4 collectors holding the bag.

I do like a lot of the early (i.e. after 'Iron Man') Tales of Suspense issues as well as the Strange Tales issues after Doctor Strange appears. These are some of the best early and affordable Marvels in my opinion. Why not all of them are 'keys' those that are; I do like (even the semi-keys).

What are other collector's thoughts in this regard?

Respectfully,

'mint'

Personally, I'm starting to get very interested in Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, and Strange Tales. They seem like the natural next step for anybody who collects Avengers and FF. Strange Tales, particularly the Human Torch run, can be found well under guide even in VF or better if you look.

These books may be very interesting to the Marvel fan who thinks of SA marvel primarily as Avengers, FF, X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor.

I've started reading Avengers from the very beginning and by issue 3 I'm wanting to go dig out TTA and TOS issues that were contemporary.

After completing my Avengers run, TOS and TTA are where I've started focusing my Avengers energy. Strange Tales is where my FF energy is going now that I'm down to only the really expensive FF books.