• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age mural - Please look and enjoy

43 posts in this topic

Ok, the details I have about this are few, but some more might come to light by someone viewing this. This mural was done by a professional artist named Ken Haag. The info I was told is that Mr. Haag wasn't a professional comic book artist, but rather a professional wildlife artist who's work was regularly published in several wildlife publications. Mr. Haag was a lover of comic books and as the story goes, he frequented a Minnesota comic shop called St. Paul Comic. As I was told, John (who's last name I'll not try to spell) the owner of St. Paul Comic, commissioned Mr. Haag to do this mural in exchange for an undisclosed amount of trade value toward comic books. John had given Mr. Haag a stack of Golden Age comic books to work from, requesting that Mr. Haag render several lesser known characters along with many of the most widely known super-heroes of that Golden period. It appears to me that the mural was done in marker, colored pencils and perhaps watercolor, however, as I'm not very knowledgable in this area, that is only my best guess. From what I've been able to determine, this mural hung in St. Paul Comic from sometime in the 70's until the late 80's/early 90's. I came into possession of the piece in the late 90's. If anyone has more information about this artwork, please send me a P.M. as I'm very interested to find out more about this piece of Minnesota comic shop history. Thank you and enjoy!!! (thumbs u

Love it. Characters from so many publishers. :cloud9:

Thanks Torch!! I was told that that was what John wanted ..... to expose customers to forgotten characters from defunct publishers and create interest in comics from that period (thumbs u

I think the artist did a great job. I wouldn't hesitate to hang that at home. How big is it?

Love it. Characters from so many publishers. :cloud9:

Thanks Torch!! I was told that that was what John wanted ..... to expose customers to forgotten characters from defunct publishers and create interest in comics from that period (thumbs u

I think the artist did a great job. I wouldn't hesitate to hang that at home. How big is it?

It's in my comic room right now!!! It's 36" H x 45" W, so it's pretty big!! Clearly, he drew many of the characters straight off of covers .... and some (like Subby) from interior panels. You could go through the photo journals and list the covers many of the images were drawn from. Maybe somebody will .....