• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age mural - Please look and enjoy

43 posts in this topic

kenhaagmural.jpg

Wow, words fail me! (worship)

Anyone know who the character is to the left of the Black Terror?

I second the vote for prints. If you make prints, let me know cost.

Thanks!

kenhaagmural.jpg

Wow, words fail me! (worship)

Anyone know who the character is to the left of the Black Terror?

I second the vote for prints. If you make prints, let me know cost.

Thanks!

I think that's The Face. (Viewer's left) Blue Beetle is on BT's left.

Well, I knew 'em all, except for The Face.

And I'm Officially Delighted to see Supersnipe more or less dead center, lol

Add me to the list of folks that would buy a print...

Thanks for the kind words gang :) I just thought it was something that would be enjoyed by the group. It never occurred to me to make prints, but I may look into it. My guess is that it would be tricky, as the artwork is done on a rigid, thick foam-core type of board and has a slight curve to it, so it's not totally flat. If I can find the time and make it happen, I'll certainly post it on here and let ya know :)

The Face is a pretty cool character - one of the reasons I collect Big Shot Comics, along with Skyman who had his own short-lived title, too.

In Fantagraphics book (highly recommended, btw) SUPERMEN!, they reprint the first Face story from Big Shot Comics #1 (story by Gardner Fox, art by Mart Bailey).

The Face!

TheFace.jpg

I just picked up my first Big Shot comic a few months ago.

Cool - what issue?

Even many collectors today don't realize that Big Shot was launched by Vin Sullivan (as Columbia Comics Corporation) after he left DC. The books do have a DC 'feel' to them (including Fred Guardineer art) with their line-up.

I like 'em a lot. :)

Hey, I remember that mural! I frequented St. Paul Comic back in the early 80s. Thanks for sharing that.

Somewhere I have a "I met Mike Grell at St. Paul Comic" button from his in-store appearance.

I just picked up my first Big Shot comic a few months ago.

Cool - what issue?

Even many collectors today don't realize that Big Shot was launched by Vin Sullivan (as Columbia Comics Corporation) after he left DC. The books do have a DC 'feel' to them (including Fred Guardineer art) with their line-up.

I like 'em a lot. :)

It's issue #54 Steve. I saw it at a local shop and went back and picked it up on one of our (mine and Russ') Sunday geekfest/comic shop search/lunch afternoons. It's a solid mid-grade copy with white pages and was priced at about a third of guide :o The Skyman and Face stories are among the highlights :grin: It's a title that Russ and I had no experience with and enjoyed looking through. It pays to hit the local shops now and then!!

Hey, I remember that mural! I frequented St. Paul Comic back in the early 80s. Thanks for sharing that.

Somewhere I have a "I met Mike Grell at St. Paul Comic" button from his in-store appearance.

That's AWESOME!!! I'm glad to hear it. I only made it there right before it's last days and pretty much most of the decent comics were gone :(

Hey there,

My name is Chad Haag and I'm the son of Ken Haag, the artist who painted this mural. I have been searching for info on this piece and stumbled upon your post. I was about 5/6 years old when my dad painted that. He passed away in 1996 and I haven't seen this piece since sometime in the mid eighties. I would love to know if you still have this piece and know what kind of condition it's in. A photo would be great, as I couldn't see the one you posted. Anyway, let me know. I'm happy too learn it found its way into somebody's home that appreciates it.

Chad

Through exhausting efforts and incredible amounts of research and soap , I have discovered the location of the mural!!!

Psssst, hey Gator. You do realize that Chad is new to the boards and may be confused by your soap reference. :gossip:

Note to Chad: Our esteemed Gator hasn't been scrubbing away on your dad's art, ...I'm 99 44/100 % sure that this is purely a euphemism. (thumbs u