• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening up a comic book shop

26 posts in this topic

:thumbsup: I know your store has been around a while and it was a stop for me whenever I drove south to Calgary.

I know my LCS's customer pull files have increased at least 3 fold in the last 10 years. Pretty good sign that they're doing ok.

I've had growth every year except one since I started. Last year was particularly good, up 14.6%. The first half of this year has been amazing as well.

As long as the OP can find his niche and works his off, it can be a profitable business.

You know, if I were going to try to open a comic shop, I would try to spend some time at a few successful shops outside the area I were planning to open to see how they are doing things (assuming they would let me). WOuld give me some insight into what they are doing right.

A friend of mine opened a shop about a year and a half ago in Vancouver, WA (America's Vancouver! who knew?) called I Like Comics and seems like he's doing well enough though he does work his off.

He offers 20% off all new comics and trades, does buy back issues and tries not to gouge people on either buying or selling. All of his new comics come bagged/boarded.

He doesn't sell games, soda, coffee or muffins though if you have to, you have to. He does sell t-shirts, some toys, some statues. All are comic related though.

Portland metro is flush with comic creators (Bendis, Rucka, Gulacy, Busiek, lots more) so he has signings and cultivates relationships with creators who have nice things to say about him to other creators...

Complementing the poster who said to look at successful stores, be sure to look at the shops you cringe at and do the opposite:

-Greet every customer who comes in the door with a smile, ask if they need help, offer to help them, go out of your way to treat them like you like to be treated.

-Don't leer at the women or let other customers do it.

-Don't treat people like they are intruding on your fiefdom.

-Don't leave comics/boxes/carp laying all over the place blocking people from buying comics because you are too lazy to pick them up. Try to be as clutter free as possible.

Most important, have fun. If it's just a grind or constant source of aggravation, don't do it.

I would be very cautious entering this business. Please do not make the assumption that people will bring you vintage comic books, just because you have a shop. The upkeep, taxes, insurance, and other costs are far to high. That being said, have you ever considered selling online and developing a presence at comic book conventions and the like? You can enter the business very easily part time, and even turn a profit your first year!

When people see the kinds of antiques and collectibles I offer for sale, most assume that I have a shop. I do my business part time and will go to shows and conventions. Ironically, I buy and resell from a lot of shops I visit because most store owners are to busy with day to day operations that they price items low; or just don't have time to do research on rare and unique items that sell online.

I have no desire to open a store at present time. It should also be noted though, that I enjoy working in my chosen career and do have health issues. This makes my decision to do this part time easier; but even part time in thus business is between thirty to forty hours a week.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide; as I am sure some direct comic book owners will offer much better advice, as I only know the antique and collectible aspects of the business.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I also wonder how much Marvel and the other big brands are helping the LCS with there big push for Digital comics.

With digital, the big brands have direct access to their customer base and can cut out the middle man to capture more of the margin. There is no loyalty to the LCS...just the $$$

Best bet for success?

1. Joint the military.

2. Stay there for 20 years.

3. Collect an early retirement, use that to supplement your income when opening your shop so you don't have to rely on selling comics and card to turn the nut.