• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Scammer Alert...

28 posts in this topic

Bought two issues of TOT #1 from this ebay seller Meatman0414 and it seemed like a legitimate seller but after I made my purchase and its been a couple weeks I get this email...

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I had packaged all my buyers items over the weekend & had placed them in my car last night & was going to ship it all before I had to work. My car was broken into last night & I had several items stolen including all my buyers items. I have filed a police report & will be contacting my auto & homeowners insurance to see if stolen items are covered by it. I will be refunding everyone completely asap. It may take a little time to refund everyone. Rest assured I will completely refund everyone, its just going to take some time. I apologize for the whole situation. Thanks, XXXX.

Thief of Thieves #1

Link to feedback from everyone who got scammed...the feedback page just went nuts...

Feedback

I am filing a clam with Ebay tomorrow and going to call them. Thoughts and suggestions?

Thoughts and suggestions?

My thought is......., seriously? :shrug:

Did you ask for a copy of the police report? If it really did happen I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending a copy of the report. according to his feedback, most of it was positive until this situation. Id ask for a copy of the report before joining the stone throwing frenzy. People seem to be so quick to just assume the absolute worst of people. Ifhe doesn't respond with a copy of that report, then I guess you can go ahead and burn his house down.

Did you ask for a copy of the police report? If it really did happen I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending a copy of the report. according to his feedback, most of it was positive until this situation. Id ask for a copy of the report before joining the stone throwing frenzy. People seem to be so quick to just assume the absolute worst of people. Ifhe doesn't respond with a copy of that report, then I guess you can go ahead and burn his house down.

Requested a copy of the report and no response yet from seller

So the guy packaged all his stuff, then placed it in his car overnight....for safekeeping?

I've put items that I had to send the next day in my car overnight. What if this guy's legit? Now he has a ton of negative feedback to deal with. People are real quick to judge.

Requested a copy of the report and no response yet from seller

Yea, if what he said really happened then he should have no problem sending over a copy. If he doesn't then I say neg the he'll outta him and get your money back. From the looks of it, if he did scam everyone, he got a pretty good chunk o change.

So the guy packaged all his stuff, then placed it in his car overnight....for safekeeping?

I've put items that I had to send the next day in my car overnight. What if this guy's legit? Now he has a ton of negative feedback to deal with. People are real quick to judge.

I am sure you had your reasons, but you probably also had a good idea that your car, neighborhood, and timeline led to minimal risk of theft or damage while the items were in your vehicle.

Even in a low-risk situation, I can see little practical benefit to storing packaged items in one's vehicle prior to taking them to the post office. Especially if they are visible to anybody walking by.

The scenario described is cast in an additionally doubtful light when considered alongside the seller's inability to offer immediate refunds. This indicates the seller is in a precarious financial situation, giving him a possible motive to falsely claim a theft had occurred.

He also has a couple of recent negative feedbacks, prior to this situation, which are suggestive of possible deception. For example, in May a buyer negged with the comment, "Was informed 2 weeks after purchase that my item was shipped to someone else."

Not drawing conclusions here; it just looks bad. One mitigating factor is that he did take the proactive step of informing people about the situation (though this could be a form of delaying tactic).

Bought two issues of TOT #1 from this ebay seller Meatman0414 and it seemed like a legitimate seller but after I made my purchase and its been a couple weeks I get this email...

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I had packaged all my buyers items over the weekend & had placed them in my car last night & was going to ship it all before I had to work. My car was broken into last night & I had several items stolen including all my buyers items. I have filed a police report & will be contacting my auto & homeowners insurance to see if stolen items are covered by it. I will be refunding everyone completely asap. It may take a little time to refund everyone. Rest assured I will completely refund everyone, its just going to take some time. I apologize for the whole situation. Thanks, XXXX.

Thief of Thieves #1

Link to feedback from everyone who got scammed...the feedback page just went nuts...

Feedback

I am filing a clam with Ebay tomorrow and going to call them. Thoughts and suggestions?

Sorry to hear it. :( A few other people in the ToT moderns thread also bought from him, and got the same story.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5428394&nt=159&fpart=158

File the claim asap as IMO the story is so bizarre there's a strong chance it's a delaying tactic.

I am sure you had your reasons, but you probably also had a good idea that your car, neighborhood, and timeline led to minimal risk of theft or damage while the items were in your vehicle.

Even in a low-risk situation, I can see little practical benefit to storing packaged items in one's vehicle prior to taking them to the post office. Especially if they are visible to anybody walking by.

The scenario described is cast in an additionally doubtful light when considered alongside the seller's inability to offer immediate refunds. This indicates the seller is in a precarious financial situation, giving him a possible motive to falsely claim a theft had occurred.

He also has a couple of recent negative feedbacks, prior to this situation, which are suggestive of possible deception. For example, in May a buyer negged with the comment, "Was informed 2 weeks after purchase that my item was shipped to someone else."

Not drawing conclusions here; it just looks bad. One mitigating factor is that he did take the proactive step of informing people about the situation (though this could be a form of delaying tactic).

Yes you're right. I live in a country area in Australia with neighbours miles away and I start work at 5am. That's why I can do those sorts of things.

I suppose my situation is very different to most.

I think a better approach would be to 1. issue refund, then 2. inform buyer of reason.

I think a better approach would be to 1. issue refund, then 2. inform buyer of reason.

+1 ...

Unless, of course, you already spent the money... :facepalm:

I've never understood the logic of leaving something of value in plain sight inside a car, when you could almost as easily stick it in the trunk where no one can see it.

My wife does this a lot and it drives me bananas. It's like people forget they have a trunk in their car.

The more I dig, the more I can't see any chance at all this guy's story is legit.

Most of the bad feedbacks are from May auctions... but from loboagain's ToT auction that finished June 9th, the seller wrote

I'm Currently Out Of The Country On Vacation Until 6/14, I was To Return On 6/1 But My Wife Surprised Me With An Extra Two Weeks Traveling To A Few Other Countries. The Book Will Go Out At The Latest On 6/15.

So, one cockamamie story on top of another re shipping delays... already a bad sign.

Then check his buyer feedback. It seems his vacation certainly hasn't slowed his buying habits. While he's been stringing the May buyers along, he's got positive feedbacks piling in from an absolute avalanche of continuous buys all through June...

Oy. :facepalm:

I've never understood the logic of leaving something of value in plain sight inside a car, when you could almost as easily stick it in the trunk where no one can see it.

My wife does this a lot and it drives me bananas. It's like people forget they have a trunk in their car.

Do you have junk in your trunk?

:baiting:

Yea, that story about leaving ALL the packages in his car is pretty outrageous. That means there was at the least $1200 worth of stuff he left in there, and that's just from one customer. I would NEVER leave anything worth that much in my car, even if it was 1200 dollar books(1200 books at $1 each) . His story sounds more and more like B.S. everytime i look at this thread.