• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre hero Marvel and Atlas Registry Points Too Low

76 posts in this topic

By the way is is really terrible if your book is lower grade. Venus = 30, Tales of Suspense =10, I mean come on (shrug)

VENUS6.jpg

What's the market value on that Venus book (super cool book, by the way)? I would imagine you're paying upwards of $100 when you can find a copy to get your 30 registry points.

I think about $100 is correct, I mean I didnt buy it for the points and would rather have had a raw higher grade but there are not many out there raw in any grade and if you want this type of book you gotta take what you can get.

Getting more points would be a bonus. :sumo:

And that is the point of this thread. Points can't be a perfect reflection of market value, and we all know that points were never meant to correlate exactly with dollars spent. But when you can spend $30 to get 400 points for a very common book, and then spend $500 on a much less common book and get basically chump change for points something is wrong. And pre-hero Marvels as a whole have been really shafted when it comes to assigning reasonable point values in the registry. I'm sure there are other examples, but this group is a glaring one.

Another fun example:

Amazing Adventures #1 (1970) CGC 9.8, sold on Clink for $335 and worth 560 registry points. Indicentally a recent 9.6 Clink sale of this book was $133 and is worth 350 registry points.

RAD5D31A2012430_164230.jpg

Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) CGC 7.0, sold on Clink for $600 and worth 400 registry points.

RADCB44E2012313_11561.jpg

I found both on the "for sale" section at Clink today, and neither of them are mine (though luckily I do own a 7.5 Amazing Adventures #1 :cloud9:).

Another fun example:

Amazing Adventures #1 (1970) CGC 9.8, sold on Clink for $335 and worth 560 registry points. Indicentally a recent 9.6 Clink sale of this book was $133 and is worth 350 registry points.

RAD5D31A2012430_164230.jpg

Amazing Adventures #1 (1961) CGC 7.0, sold on Clink for $600 and worth 400 registry points.

RADCB44E2012313_11561.jpg

I found both on the "for sale" section at Clink today, and neither of them are mine (though luckily I do own a 7.5 Amazing Adventures #1 :cloud9:).

:o Thats a perfect and shocking example, this needs to change.

I have a few AA #1s but all raw and staying raw now.

Meanwhile, you have the following post from this thread. So a $500 Strange Tales #93 will net you 95 registry points, while a $30 X-Men purchase gets you 400 points. This is wildly disproportional not only in terms of expense, but in the difficulty of tracking down even 7.0+ pre-hero Marvels.

And the game is underway

First purchase has been completed.

Uncanny X-men CGC 9.6

Xmen14396.jpg

Bought for: $31

Registry points: 400

:whistle:

I agree right now points rise exponentially the same for books regardless of age, even though rarity-wise a silver 9.6 is far less rare/valuable than a 7.0 of many golden age books...

trying to link points to market is tough since the market moves, and CGC probably doesnt want to spend all their time adjusting regstry points, but you'd think they could create a rule by era so that the golden age books point spike at a lower grade than their silver and bronze counterparts...

Miraclemet, I wasn't trying to pick on you or suggest that your challenge for yourself was wrong in any way. But your exercise did highlight some of the disproportionate scores that this thread is about...

We're simply saying that values shouldn't be this out of whack for books that have been both very desirable and very tough for as long as these have. Pre-hero Marvels aren't a flash in the pan like the latest hot title of the month that can rise and then fall in value very quickly. Pre-heros seem to just keep going up, or at least don't show very many declines. They are steadily valuable, and more valuable than the registry reflects.

Another example in a grade that just about anyone interested in pre-hero books could collect: JIM #66 CGC 6.0, another book plucked from Clink reflecting an actual sale (not to me, though I have a copy currently being graded). Sold for $160, registry points = 55.

RADF2247201246_161652.jpg

Miraclemet, I wasn't trying to pick on you or suggest that your challenge for yourself was wrong in any way. But your exercise did highlight some of the disproportionate scores that this thread is about...

We're simply saying that values shouldn't be this out of whack for books that have been both very desirable and very tough for as long as these have. Pre-hero Marvels aren't a flash in the pan like the latest hot title of the month that can rise and then fall in value very quickly. Pre-heros seem to just keep going up, or at least don't show very many declines. They are steadily valuable, and more valuable than the registry reflects.

Dont worry mys I didnt take it that way (have thicker skin than that!). (thumbs u

I agree the GA points are out of whack (including the Pre-Hero Marvels).

I was collecting Planet Comics for a little while and was amazed at the fact that my 7.0s and 8.0s were worth so little on the registry. The problem is that the grades of the Pre-marvel books that are big points are so high grade that they are scarce as hens teeth (and still cost 10x what the points are) or they dont even exist on the census...

In a magical world CGC would be able to pull GPA data and use an equation from the 12 month GPA to project point values (or something dynamic like that) and then they dont have to spend their time monkeying with the points everytime the market reveals a points/$$ disparity.

I will also say that the disparity is all over the place in weird little nooks and crannies. Aurora model comics, 50s and 60s Lil Dot, Jetsons & Richie Rich, Clarement/Byrne X-men, Miller Daredevil, and more have low prices vs their point output...

Fellow collectors, I was informed that the best way to get certain Registry Point Value adjusted was to lobby the Boards. I believe the Registry points do not reflect the current market value for Pre Hero Marvel and Atlas titles. If you agree with me please post.

To make it fun, show off your prized possessions with their point values.

.....when I sell pre hero Marvel books it is always at 2X OSPG for lower grade and 4X OSPG for 8.0 and above....for CGC that is. The point system in the registry is a little soft and doesn't really translate to the real market. The accelerated market conditions have been going on for several years and is sustainable 2c GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This little puppy scores 660. It's the nicest pre-hero I have.

ST-098-94.jpg

....and you'd have to trade 5 of any other title's 660 to get one like it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. These books need at least a 50% bump in OSPG

Fellow collectors, I was informed that the best way to get certain Registry Point Value adjusted was to lobby the Boards. I believe the Registry points do not reflect the current market value for Pre Hero Marvel and Atlas titles. If you agree with me please post.

Hey Bob, I thought you said this was ridiculous?! :baiting::grin:

My small batch of pre-hero Marvels are not CGC graded (Mainly, because I have them all pegged at 3.0 - 5.0), but I'm with you in agreement that the registry points for these books need a bump. I'm just having a hard time deciding what the bump should be. Too bad we don't have access to the criteria used by CGCs grading algorithm.

Hey Bob, I thought you said this was ridiculous?! :baiting::grin:

You are correct. I thought it was ridiculous but I figured I'd give it a try. I really feel strongly about this crusade. PreHero scores need fixin .

yep. I just did some quick math on my TOS registry set (all books bought in the last six months).

Spent, about $5500, registry points - a shade under 2000

Yeah, that's just wrong. :P

yeppers

I've also spent, after some more quick math, $6k on my TTA registry set, worth about 4000 points.

Exclude one book I was lucky to win super super cheap, and it would be $4500 spent on 2000 points.

Again, all purchases in the last six months.

I've also spent about $1850, last six months, on my JIM set, worth a grand 485 registry points.

To sum it up it seems like they are all way too low with JIM and ST being even worse than TTA and TOS.

AA and AAF are too low as well.