• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do ...

88 posts in this topic

So I brought a lot of cards recently from a seller I buy regularly from & got charged $60 for the shipping. When I look at the box it says $28.50 for the shipping cost ... hm Now I was just going to slam the seller with over 28 postive feed backs & then give him all low stars on the "how was the shipping" option but I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it first

(shrug)

For the life of me, I don't know why people feel so hesitant to neg sellers or give the 1 star???

I'd message him asking for at least $25 back. If that doesn't happen pronto with no discussion, I'd leave 28 1 star ratings and not lose a seconds sleep. I mean tacking on a little " handling" charge is one think but over 200% of the actual price for some cards? Unless he lives 100 miles from the nearest PO, he'd be getting an avalanche of 1 stars from me (thumbs u

So I brought a lot of cards recently from a seller I buy regularly from & got charged $60 for the shipping. When I look at the box it says $28.50 for the shipping cost ... hm Now I was just going to slam the seller with over 28 postive feed backs & then give him all low stars on the "how was the shipping" option but I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it first

(shrug)

I think your best course of action is:

Email the seller. Ask for $30 credit back to your Paypal account (assuming Paypal) because shipping less than 1/2 of what you paid. Most likely the seller will agree. Problem solved.

If the seller doesn't agree than leave negative where negative is due. If the seller shipped promptly, communicated appropriately and the cards were as expected, then leave a 1 on the shipping detail rating.

BTW, while you may actually be leaving feedback on 28 purchases, your feedback will only count as one sale as far as how the sellers feedback score is calculated. All sales to the same person in one week count as one sale for the purpose of calculating feedback scores.

More effective in terms of motivating the seller to see things your way if they resist refunding the excess shipping would be to state something like "nice card but seller way over charged for shipping" as your written feedback. 28 times. Four a day for a week.

This happened before, and it sucks being charged $35 in shipping when the guy only pays $3.50. I am sure a few of them charge that much to pad their bottom line, and to me that is wrong and dishonest. It sounds like he had an already high shipping price, and didn't combine or offer a discount on multiple purchases, which is just lazy.

Email him for a refund on the excess shipping you paid, if that doesn't work, open a dispute. 28 times.

(shrug)

Was this a single auction for a single "lot" of cards?

Or did you combine multiple auctions?

If the shipping cost was clearly stated within the auction (or via the shipping calculator), you should give positive feedback and 5 stars on the shipping. In this scenario, you understood what the price was and agreed to pay it, thus the actual postage cost is immaterial. In an auction type scenario sellers often have the wrong pricing built into the shipping calculator. The hammer price ends up being less than what it should have been because buyers are factoring in the increased shipping cost. The Total price (which is all that should matter to you as the buyer) ends up the same.

If this was for multiple auctions with a vague "combined shipping" discount, then contact the seller and explain that you have purchased from them before and would like to continue to do business with them in the future, however, you expected a better combined shipping discount.

Be thankful that people are willing to ship internationally.(assuming that this came from the US).

If you buy from him regularly next time ask him for a better shipping rate BEFORE the auction ends or you hit the BIN.

I can't believe all the people saying to Neg the guy and give him one star. :tonofbricks:

Nobody even bothered to ask if that was the price that was agreed to?

It is likely the seller knew that it would cost $28.50 and simply built his profit into the shipping. Why should that matter to a buyer who agrees on the Total cost as long as it is clearly adverstised?

For the life of me, I don't know why people feel so hesitant to neg sellers or give the 1 star???

I'd message him asking for at least $25 back. If that doesn't happen pronto with no discussion, I'd leave 28 1 star ratings and not lose a seconds sleep. I mean tacking on a little " handling" charge is one think but over 200% of the actual price for some cards? Unless he lives 100 miles from the nearest PO, he'd be getting an avalanche of 1 stars from me (thumbs u

Problem is multiple low star ratings from the same seller only count as being one, just like leaving twenty eight negative feedbacks only impacts the seller's true feedback rating once. This prevents one buyer from taking vengeance against a seller, buying multiple items, and wrecking havoc on their account. Therefore, unfortunate as it sounds, this buyer only has the same rights as someone who only bought one item from the seller.

That being said, if he would leave negative feedback, all twenty eight would show; but only ONE would count towards his rating. The same is true for 'star' ratings.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I can't believe all the people saying to Neg the guy and give him one star. :tonofbricks:

+1

It's like: "Linch him!! Linch him!!!"

I had this with a seller that I bought about 30 separate comics with £3 each shipping, I had tried to contact him about combined shipping but no reply and the auctions ending.

After the auctions the total was about £40 for the books and £90 for shipping.

I tried to reason with the seller that the actual postage cost would be about £6 at most but he didnt want to know.

After various going nowhere emails we agreed to drop it.

I checked his feedback a week later and he had about 50 negative feedback's from various buyers.

If I am buying stuff like this now, I always contact the seller to ask about combined shipping before pulling the trigger.

Most sellers will combine but I have had a few over the years that have said no, then I just dont bid.

If he wont refund you something, I would neg him.

its ebay buyers don't really have a choice on the shipping also I am sure ebay has rules set to make it so sellers are not suppose to make $$$ off the shipping fees

You have a choice on shipping, just like any other item on ebay. Buy it or pass.

If the terms are clearly laid out, you already chose to make the purchase at the agreed upon price, regardless of what the postage cost printed on the label was.

In my opinion, the only room for negotiation after the fact, is if the seller was not clear on combined shipping. If so, then send him an email expressing your disappointment as a return customer. If he stands by his pricing, I still think you should not neg him or give lower than 3 stars on his DSRs, as you are partially responsible for not asking before purchase to clarify the shipping costs.

Also, ebay has no actual "rules set to make it so sellers are not suppose to make $$$ off the shipping fees". Even so, why would you want to police ebay's rules?

If you enjoy being able to purchase items you can not find locally (especially if this is an international sale), then why would you want to discourage a good seller from selling at an agreed upon price?

+1

It's like: "Linch him!! Linch him!!!"

To me, it doesn't matter what was agreed to. If someone has shipping at $60 I expect it to be something close to that. Just because I mistakenly hink it costs close to $60 to ship and I agree to that doesn't make the seller any less when I find out it only cost him $28 IMO (shrug)

I think posters here are getting a bit sideways in the discussion. If it was Buy It Now with free shipping the originator of this thread would not be complaining about being overcharged for shipping costs. Obviously this was a sale where $60 was charged as a shipping charge and the actual cost was $28.50

eBay is sensitive to the perception that sellers overcharge for shipping and they have taken several steps over the years to try and discourage sellers from doing so. There has been and remains the ability to flag listings for excessive shipping. The detailed seller ratings - shipping being one - were SPECIFICALLY created just so buyers can give a rating on the transaction in those specific areas. If buyers feel they were overcharged for shipping they are SUPPOSED to rate sellers low in that specific area. eBay's hope is that this will serve as way to modify sellers behaviour in the areas they could be doing better. Worth noting is that if sellers offer free shipping they automatically get 5 stars - buyers cannot leave feedback on the shipping detail rating.

The last change made was eBay charging their fees on the total cost - including shipping. Before eBay didn't charge seller fees on the shipping. Which encouraged some sellers to list a $50 item with a $35 shipping charge. So the item sells for $15 but with shipping it costs $50. Fee avoidance ebay called - overcharging for shipping buyers called it.

The reasonable path remains for the buyer to request a refund on the excess shipping. Which he/she will probably get with no complaint. There is a good chance the seller was only 'guesstimating' the shipping charges and came up to high. If that doesn't happen buyer gives seller 1 star on shipping because that is what the detail rating is there for. Then you note on the written feedback that the merchandise was good but shipping charges were excessive.

A honest description of the buyers impression of the transaction. Which is what eBay wants and is what potential future buyers want to know.

yep, ask for a partial refund due to the overcharge for shipping.

If he says no ask him to justify the difference between the charge and the actual postage.

If he says no ding him for overcharging on shipping and move on.

+1 to what tony said (thumbs u

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

+1

And buyers ARE supposed to look at the shipping prices listed in the auction and decide for themselves whether they think they're reasonable or not PRIOR to bidding on the auction.

If they don't, how is that the sellers fault?

I'm not saying that there aren't azzhat sellers out there who have intentionally vague shipping costs for the sole purpose of padding their profit. I recently bought 3 items from a seller that each had a shipping cost of $6 and where the seller stated that "he would gladly combine shipping". Well, the combined shipping ended up being a $1 discount on two of the items, and a total shipping charge of $16 for something that was mailed in the $5 Priority flat-rate envelope. A seller like that deserves to be dinged.

But if a seller clearly states that the shipping cost is XX, or that he will not combine shipping, it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they'll agree to those terms or not. Nobody is forcing them to bid on the seller's auctions and crying about a clearly-stated shipping cost after the fact is ludicrous.

yep, ask for a partial refund due to the overcharge for shipping.

If he says no ask him to justify the difference between the charge and the actual postage.

If he says no ding him for overcharging on shipping and move on.

Lady in White hu? ... mmmm ... hm

You would probably dig this:

Fobos9originale73.jpg