• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading Question

11 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a book for pressing and was told it has slight foxing stains top edge inside fc and bc pages.

Anyone have an idea how much does CGC would downgrade for this type of defect?

Would they downgrade it less because slight stain is on the inside cover of book as opposed to outside cover where it can't be seen?

Thanks for any input!

I don't recall ever see foxing only on the interior cover. Often it is on both the inside and outside. Harder to see on the outside cover if it is not in the white area but if you look at a book at an angle, often you can see the foxing area almost like water spots damage.

Depends on the book(Golden or bronze) and condition (low grade to high grade), foxing will get ding accordingly.

a) low to mid grade Golden age books, I believe the downgrade is very minor if at all.

b) on high grade Golden age books, I think the downgrade is minor

c) on bronze books, it will get ding harsher than Golden age and Silver age but often not as bad as most people think. I have seen enough 9.0 or higher bronze slabs with slight foxing.

Much like sun shadows, foxing aren't ding as much as they can be or should be.

I don't recall ever see foxing only on the interior cover. Often it is on both the inside and outside. Harder to see on the outside cover if it is not in the white area but if you look at a book at an angle, often you can see the foxing area almost like water spots damage.

Depends on the book(Golden or bronze) and condition (low grade to high grade), foxing will get ding accordingly.

a) low to mid grade Golden age books, I believe the downgrade is very minor if at all.

b) on high grade Golden age books, I think the downgrade is minor

c) on bronze books, it will get ding harsher than Golden age and Silver age but often not as bad as most people think. I have seen enough 9.0 or higher bronze slabs with slight foxing.

Much like sun shadows, foxing aren't ding as much as they can be or should be.

Thanks so much for your reply. Book I submitted is X-men 94 which is bronze age book.

I'm such a novice in this area. I never saw it and didn't know what foxing was until he explained it to me. Very very slight tanning, no water spots. I was told foxing happens due to moisture or humidity getting inside the protective comic bag somehow. At least that what remember him telling me.

Etanick I just saw you responded to my other post in the scan forum, thanks. Like you stated, probably can't see foxing on fc due to dark colors on the outside front cover of that particular book. Funny thing is I don't see any foxing on the outside bc which is solid white exterior and you stated you've never seen foxing occur unless its on both sides of the cover?

foxing also can happens with the interior pages but often they are extemely hard to see because they blend in so well. On really bad foxing cases, you then can really see the spots on the interior pages.

Thanks Etanick for the response. Foxing is slight....heck when he showed me I was like um I don't see anything but when he got the magnifying glass I could see it.

Matt still thinks it may be enough to knock it down a grade. Guess I'll cross fingers and see.

Also Depends on CGC and graders mood! I had a golden age Marvel Mystery 9.0 or better that came back 7.0 due to very light edge tanning/foxing that you could barely see on the outside cover and was still fairly light on the inside. So light, it did not detract at all for me, I was still thinking 9.0 or 8.5 at worst and it came back 7.0!!!

For an extreme case, I once owned this FF #4 that was VF range in condition, but only got a 5.0 due to some more serious foxing/tanning. Based on my experience, CGC is harsher than just about anyone else when it comes to this defect. Hopefully these are more the exceptions and you get lucky with your x-men though.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121134&lotNo=14146&lotIdNo=19002

Wow based on your examples I better hope those graders are in a great mood. I can't see an enlarged view of your FF #4. When i click on the pic it doesn't enlarge.

But to have a book come back two grade notches below is a big disparity. You probably could resubmit and your chances of getting a higher grade are probably good.

Also Depends on CGC and graders mood! I had a golden age Marvel Mystery 9.0 or better that came back 7.0 due to very light edge tanning/foxing that you could barely see on the outside cover and was still fairly light on the inside. So light, it did not detract at all for me, I was still thinking 9.0 or 8.5 at worst and it came back 7.0!!!

For an extreme case, I once owned this FF #4 that was VF range in condition, but only got a 5.0 due to some more serious foxing/tanning. Based on my experience, CGC is harsher than just about anyone else when it comes to this defect. Hopefully these are more the exceptions and you get lucky with your x-men though.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121134&lotNo=14146&lotIdNo=19002

The tanning is pretty bad on the book, I would assume it got hit hardest for that. The foxing will affect the final grade for sure. A book that is structurally a 9.8 could get 9.6 or 9.4 depending how much foxing we are talking about. If the foxing is very heavy it could knock it out of the 9.0 range altogether.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee HAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Today I just received an e-mail from Classics Incorporated this issue has been graded by CGC as a OW/W....................9.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Doing back flips head spins :banana: :banana: :banana::applause::applause:^^ ^^

Today I just received an e-mail from Classics Incorporated this issue has been graded by CGC as a OW/W....................9.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is great! I bet you didn't pay anywhere near 9.8 price either...

That is great! I bet you didn't pay anywhere near 9.8 price either...

Not even close. When I first saw it I knew it was high grade and made a quick offer on the spot.

Glad it worked out the best way it could!

Thanks for the congrats! (thumbs u