• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HUGE scans of Amazing Spider-Man #10 CGG 9.4 for your perusal

69 posts in this topic

Ironically enough, one of the most vociferous posters who railed against this phenomenon is now a CGC grader. Hey Timely, what are you going to do to fix this problem???

They've always fiddled with the label because it's cheap and easy to do so, but changing the case is cost. Since the primary problem for CGC would be in development costs to have their supplier use a new shape for the plastics, I doubt there's much he can do except write up a thorough proposal which includes a cost-versus-benefit analysis, because it doesn't appear this has bubbled up to the top of the change list.

You're probably asking the wrong guy, however, as I just received yet ANOTHER CGC'd book that has a smushed overhang on the FC that caused a crease to become a tear. It creased the top edge of the BC too.

Could you post a scan? How do you know it happened after being slabbed?

Not doubting you as I have a few books that I can see that can slide around in the inner well and there is some bending at the corners.

Here you go. Front scan is pretty obvious. Damage to the back is less conclusive. Sorry to hijack your thread, FFB.

FF53-fr-detail.jpg

FF53-bk-detail.jpg

You're probably asking the wrong guy, however, as I just received yet ANOTHER CGC'd book that has a smushed overhang on the FC that caused a crease to become a tear. It creased the top edge of the BC too.

Could you post a scan? How do you know it happened after being slabbed?

Not doubting you as I have a few books that I can see that can slide around in the inner well and there is some bending at the corners.

Here you go. Front scan is pretty obvious. Damage to the back is less conclusive. Sorry to hijack your thread, FFB.

Hijack away! Just say something nice about my Spidey 10 every few posts and I'll be fine. 27_laughing.gif

Hijack away! Just say something nice about my Spidey 10 every few posts and I'll be fine. 27_laughing.gif

No problem. thumbsup2.gif

Your Spidey 10 is frickin' great!!!!!

How's that? stooges.gif

Really, it is!

So I called CGG to get the graders notes on this book. Daniel told me that he really wanted to give it a 9.6, but that the color fleck on the spine is what kept it out of the NM+ grade.

All in all, I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the book will get a 9.6, although I do think that it's as nice as a 9.4 can get. confused-smiley-013.gif

As an update, I'm sending the book off to Matt Nelson for resto check this week. I'll update this thread when I get results. Hopefully clean ones. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I hope I get a chance to see this beauty in person when you and I hook up in person for some drunken comic-related debauchery!

Please count me in on the local chapter! thumbsup2.gifdevil.gif

I hope I get a chance to see this beauty in person when you and I hook up in person for some drunken comic-related debauchery!

OK, but no slobbering. How is this weekend looking?

Clear skies, Captain! thumbsup2.gif

Cool. I'll hold off on sending the book to Matt N. until next week then. We can crack the AF#15 PLOD too!!! cloud9.gif

Saturday?

Anyone else local want to join us?

Also, the question is where and what time?

Cool. I'll hold off on sending the book to Matt N. until next week then. We can crack the AF#15 PLOD too!!! cloud9.gif

Saturday?

Saturday is good for me, anytime, anyplace. I've got 3 dozen or so silver age books I'd love some grading opinions on, in addition to checking out your goods. Are there any places in the city we could go where we'd have time/space/safety to look at books? I'd offer my pad in San Bruno, but my wife is having one of her friends over.

I know Divad wants in...

Let's take it to the events forum, or we can try to coordinate via PM.

Saturday?

Saturday is good for me, anytime, anyplace. I've got 3 dozen or so silver age books I'd love some grading opinions on, in addition to checking out your goods. Are there any places in the city we could go where we'd have time/space/safety to look at books? I'd offer my pad in San Bruno, but my wife is having one of her friends over.

I know Divad wants in...

Let's take it to the events forum, or we can try to coordinate via PM.

Let me check with Liz and make sure it's ok, but we can probably meet up at my place. Maybe make a dinner out of it?

Let me check with Liz and make sure it's ok, but we can probably meet up at my place. Maybe make a dinner out of it?

Sounds good. I hope Liz can participate! Any good restaurants on the islands? Another idea would be to eat a late lunch/early dinner in SF, then adjourn to your place for the comicness.

Sounds good. I hope Liz can participate! Any good restaurants on the islands? Another idea would be to eat a late lunch/early dinner in SF, then adjourn to your place for the comicness.

I was going to offer to cook and do some wine pairings. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif And Liz makes a Valrhona chocolate souffle that will kill you. confused-smiley-013.gif

Bummer. I'm local, but already have plans for Saturday evening. Let me know when you guys get together again; I'd love to see some of your collections, and get your opinions on some of mine.

Bummer. I'm local, but already have plans for Saturday evening. Let me know when you guys get together again; I'd love to see some of your collections, and get your opinions on some of mine.

You bet. thumbsup2.gif

I have to warn you though. I ain't exactly Captain Tripps. 27_laughing.gif

You bet. thumbsup2.gif

You lovebirds setting up the date? confused.gif

You bet. thumbsup2.gif

Why so interested? Jealous?

You bet. thumbsup2.gif

Why so interested? Jealous?

I'm so jealous!!! ... of the comics thumbsup2.gif