• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Cover Recreations

11 posts in this topic

I actually think I'm getting better at this lol

Putting more effort into getting placement right and the wording. Instead of using the whole of the A4 sheet for the cover I'm now trying to confine it to the same size as the cover.

This has helped me alot with proportions. Still work to do on certain things.

What do you guys think?

Detective Comics #590

DetectiveCover.jpg

A break from the superhero covers here with a horror cover, Charltons Ghostly Haunts.

Ghostly Haunts #32

GhostlyHauntsCover.jpg

I'm now working on a Mystery in Space cover. I'm finding that I really want to do more horror/sci-fi covers then superhero.

Thanks for looking.

You should use a ruler and compass with technical pens for the fine linework and the logos. You'll notice an immediate improvement in the finished product when you're not drawing lines and circles freehand.

You should use a ruler and compass with technical pens for the fine linework and the logos. You'll notice an immediate improvement in the finished product when you're not drawing lines and circles freehand.

I didn't even think about using a compass! Those DC circles have been driving me nuts trying to do them freehand.

I should get a ruler, I've been using a backing board lol

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't even think about using a compass! Those DC circles have been driving me nuts trying to do them freehand.

I should get a ruler, I've been using a backing board lol

Thanks for the advice.

Check eBay for art/drafting templates too. Sometimes batches of those things go fairly cheap, all different shapes and sizes.

Freehand like that has to be a better skill-builder though. Love that Detective cover! :cloud9:

55475-1004-3ww-l.jpg

Check eBay for art/drafting templates too. Sometimes batches of those things go fairly cheap, all different shapes and sizes.

Freehand like that has to be a better skill-builder though. Love that Detective cover! :cloud9:

55475-1004-3ww-l.jpg

Drafting templates and a French curve will help immensely, just like Davenport said. If you don't want to dink around with Ebay, you can usually find these at Staples (in the art/drafting section) or at a college bookstore (providing they have an arts program).