• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VGA graded video game sells for $15,000

93 posts in this topic

This is an astounding price for a Nintendo Game & Watch. This one was sealed and graded 75+ (EX+/NM) by VGA. I also think it was a BIN, but I didn't catch the listing until after the game had sold.

Here's the link --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=251090716056&nma=true&rt=nc&si=72RxNY4ccwYzOyomDbc7UcBn%252BfY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What do you think?

:popcorn:

Wowzers - I sold a small group of my heartily played NES and SNES games about a year ago and made several hundred on them so not really surprised that somebody out there made bank - but you do have to wonder if leaving it in the original packaging was an accident (somebody forgot about it tucked away somewhere) or whether they hoped it would actually be a collectible someday and actively preserved it as a part of a collection.

Wowzers - I sold a small group of my heartily played NES and SNES games about a year ago and made several hundred on them so not really surprised that somebody out there made bank - but you do have to wonder if leaving it in the original packaging was an accident (somebody forgot about it tucked away somewhere) or whether they hoped it would actually be a collectible someday and actively preserved it as a part of a collection.

'Oh, Hey! What is this in the attic? It's that random X-Mas present my parents couldn't find back in '84 that I said I'd never forgive them for losing.' Looks like I'll be trading in that anger and disappointment for a 'insert random expensive item.'

This isn't the first graded game to sell for 5 figures, nor is 15K the highest price ever paid for a graded game.

I'm thinking that shills are not exclusive to the comic book industry.

It's pretty hard to shill a buy it now/best offer listing.

Is there a way to verify on these sealed graded games that there is actually a game in there? Probably not an issue with this one but with other more common games that are sealed.

Is there a way to verify on these sealed graded games that there is actually a game in there? Probably not an issue with this one but with other more common games that are sealed.

1)Factory seals are distinctive; it's a specific type of plastic wrapped/folded a particular way, with distinctive seams. Different types of games (NES, SNES, PSX) have different seams, plastic wrap and are sealed in different ways, so you have to be familiar with that.

2) For boxed items, it's extremely difficult to open a box and not create some wear to the side that was opened, however slight.

There may be other indicators. None are 100% foolproof I guess.

lol You beat me to it.

You would think so, especially when it was originally listed as a $250,000 BIN item. But, I guess people sell "holy grails" at 95% off the asking price all the time. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a legitimate seller who is going to sell me an AF15 for $300.

hm

lol You beat me to it.

You would think so, especially when it was originally listed as a $250,000 BIN item. But, I guess people sell "holy grails" at 95% off the asking price all the time. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a legitimate seller who is going to sell me an AF15 for $300.

hm

Nope, not the same thing at all. For that analogy to work, the FMV of this game would actually have to be 250K.

Rare items are sometimes listed for outlandish prices for marketing purposes, to get the attention of a serious buyer in order to do a legitimate deal. I know for a fact that this happens with games. It's a different market; there's no "gameslink.com" or Heritage-like entity to sell rare items in certain hobbies, so sellers have to get creative to find the right buyers and sell their items.

This isn't the first graded game to sell for 5 figures, nor is 15K the highest price ever paid for a graded game.

You're right, but I'm pretty sure this is the first Game & Watch to sell for 15K. The last highest sale was around 3K.

You're right, but I'm pretty sure this is the first Game & Watch to sell for 15K. The last highest sale was around 3K.

I have only a passing familiarity with game n watches. I do know this is one of the best titles and I would assume (?) a very difficult find sealed. Prior to this auction, your estimate of FMV? 5k?

While I can't comment on Game & Watch items particularly, I can tell you that factory sealed NES games are not as rare as some people believe. I was amazed I got $5000 for my sealed Super Mario Bros VGA 85. I even told the buyer that I have two sealed cases I am selling. I paid $5 per game back in 1998. A local dealer was selling these by the caseload. I also managed to find warehouse copies of a lot of Konami titles and two Nintendo titles; Metroid and Kid Icarus. I have yet to pay more than $10 a game. Still have some more 'buried' in a storage unit.

Every now and then if you 'google' wholesalers you may get lucky. I managed to get my stuff back when I was involved in a private labeling cleaning and personal care product company. We used to sell to dollar stores and wholesalers directly. A lot of wholesalers used to buy from us and I always got their contact info. Still to this day I am finding vintage sealed video games. My most recent find was for a few cases of sealed Virtual Boy games. I never knew people would pay so much for Nester's Bowling...

and I am a video game collector. Stopped buying when I finished most of my collections. I am a dealer though, as some know.

I would not be buying at these prices. I remember back when Atari 2600 games were hot (and other vintage systems). Eventually, as the collectors of that era aged, prices dropped. Now 80's items are all the rage. I wonder what will happen in another five to ten years when these collectors age? I am buying vintage 12 back and 20/21 back Star Wars figures, as prices have dropped on these. I am avoiding Transformers and GI Joe toys and figures, as the movie hype and popularity of 80's toys is causing the prices to skyrocket. Waiting until they 'cool' off to finish these AFA graded collections.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I know nothing about Star Wars toys; how far have they fallen?