• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Pre-Teen Sister is getting into Comics, suggestions to read?

43 posts in this topic

Couldn't be a happier bigger brother, than when my 13 year old sister asked me if she could start reading some of my comics, particularly ones with Jean Grey as Phoenix. Apparently she had been reading some comics on her iPad, and is getting into the hobby now.

I had to explain how most of the collection I had were not reader copies, but that I could go and pick her up any trade paper backs that she wants of specific stories.

What would you suggest as essential starter TPBs for a new comic fan? I don't want to confuse her with all the Ultimate Universe stuff yet, so maybe a few classic Marvel Cross Over Events and some X-Men classics? She really seems to like X-Men, but I'm sure she'd but open to nearly anything really.

All suggestions appreciated, lets induct a new one into the herd!

If she's a fan of Jean, start her off on The Dark Phoenix Saga for the character's history, and go from there.

I like the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run.

X-Men:First Class is also something to consider.

^^

If she's a fan of Jean, start her off on The Dark Phoenix Saga for the character's history, and go from there.

Yup. X-men #101-137 should be at the top of the heap if she's a Phoenix fan and they'd all be available via TPB / reprints.

It didn't get much better than that.

The Starlin Warlock saga,

While I'd consider this up there as one of the greatest comic book reads of all time I wonder if it's just a little too complex. I read it as a later teen (maybe 17) and still found it fairly advanced with the concepts of parallel universes, dimensions, time travel, etc.

There was a LOT going on in there and some heavy material.

Great suggestions guys. She's currently sinking her teeth into X-Men First Class.

Kind of great to see such a fire for the stuff, remember when I first got my first couple Black Spidey books when I was growing up from my uncle.

Since she likes Jean Grey, just start her with GSX 1 and X-Men 94-142, the reprints are cheap enough.

I was around her age when I picked up my first New X-Men and I have to agree, just a great run! I still get goose-bumps when I read #120 & #121. Just a great read.

I always enjoyed Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-in-One when I was a kid so that is an option too, but I don't know if there are reprints available.

Great suggestions guys. She's currently sinking her teeth into X-Men First Class.

Kind of great to see such a fire for the stuff, remember when I first got my first couple Black Spidey books when I was growing up from my uncle.

So did she only read the Dark Phoenix saga (X-120 something to 137), because all of the stories leading up to that (GSX #1, X-94 to 142) are well worth reading as well.

The stories are all closely interconnected.

While I'd consider this up there as one of the greatest comic book reads of all time I wonder if it's just a little too complex. I read it as a later teen (maybe 17) and still found it fairly advanced with the concepts of parallel universes, dimensions, time travel, etc.

If you're a teen that can enjoy an episode of Star Trek and understand most of the concepts, the Warlock saga shouldn't be too much of a stretch. There may be one or two finer points and allegories that could prove inaccessible, but it's a series that demands rereading anyway.

If you're a teen that can enjoy an episode of Star Trek and understand most of the concepts, the Warlock saga shouldn't be too much of a stretch. There may be one or two finer points and allegories that could prove inaccessible, but it's a series that demands rereading anyway.

All good points.

It's been mentioned before, but another vote for Bone.

Yeah, that stuff is all the rage. My 11 year old reads it over and over.

That is going to be a VERY popular run a few decades from now.