• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before Watchmen

52 posts in this topic

They are pretty good tbh.

I read a couple and was *yuck* what have they done...

However they grew and I ended up reading the lot.

Some are definately better than ever.

They are still around as the print runs were moderate so I grabbed 10 x all 7 #1,s bagged and boarded and put away for another day.

Plenty readers and cgc-able copies about.

Nice quality in story and design.

I have happily grabbed 10 x each no1 and will archive them for X amount of years and sell them as lots of 7 X #1's.

Seems a no-brainer really.

Watchmen original goes for $30 - $40 so I'm happy to wait the appropriate amount of time for BW.

$4 into $40 seems fair even if it takes 10 yrs.

But thats just me.

doh! I don't know Andy. Sounds as crazy as all those copies of Irredeemable Ant-Man you bought.

The ones that I'm selling raw for $10+ now.. (shrug)

I've slabbed a few and nearer to the release of Ant-Man I'll see what happens.

The raws that have already sold covered my initial really low outlay so it's not like I'm going to lose the house over this!

I thought it was worth a punt to buy a load really cheaply,they are all in NM+ condition - well known writer - and Marvel have confirmed the film.

I can't remember how many I ended up buying, but certainly no more than 100.

A a $1 each (inc postage) - it's no biggie.

I'm suprised you remembered that to be honest - cheers! :foryou:

As for BW - I take a much longer term view.

I certainly think it will be only the #1's that will have any currency, but having said that,I don't think its unreasonable to hope that a set of unread first print #1's would be worth a modest profit in a few years.

If not - meh,that's life (thumbs u

The raws that have already sold covered my initial really low outlay so it's not like I'm going to lose the house over this!

I thought it was worth a punt to buy a load really cheaply,they are all in NM+ condition - well known writer - and Marvel have confirmed the film.

I can't remember how many I ended up buying, buy certainly no more than 100.

I certainly think it will be only the #1's that will have any currency, but having said that,I don't think its unreasonable to hope that a set of unread first print #1's would be worth a modest profit in a few years.

I would generate the movie hype on your own and dump them if you are getting good prices in Australia. Only one has sold for over $5.00 on eBay...in the past 3 months and that is the place where movie hype lives. I highly doubt O'Grady will get used. Best to take advantage of the ambiguity of the project. The director has an affinity to the Lang Ant-Man issues (He brought the first appearance of Lang as Ant-Man on stage with him at SD, plus Lang also stole the costume), so he is more likely to be used along with Pym. I am sure once the Guardians movie moves a long some people will be feeling butt hurt buying the Marvel Super-Heroes issue only to find none of those characters are used.

I started the hype on eBay for the Marvel Previews with Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord. I found once people caught on the issues moved slower due to the abundance of copies that came shooting out all at once. I was able to unload all of them but had a tougher time getting ride of my last MP 7 due to the abundance that appeared after my initial wave of sales. May they pick up again as the movie progresses? Sure but I had less competition dumping early and the most I paid for any of them was $15 and they all sold for between $55-$125.

They remember EVERYTHING around here Andy lol

I can't remember how many I ended up buying, buy certainly no more than 100.

I would generate the movie hype on your own and dump them if you are getting good prices in Australia. Only one has sold for over $5.00 on eBay...in the past 3 months and that is the place where movie hype lives. I highly doubt O'Grady will get used. Best to take advantage of the ambiguity of the project. The director has an affinity to the Lang Ant-Man issues (He brought the first appearance of Lang as Ant-Man on stage with him at SD, plus Lang also stole the costume), so he is more likely to be used along with Pym. I am sure once the Guardians movie moves a long some people will be feeling butt hurt buying the Marvel Super-Heroes issue only to find none of those characters are used.

I started the hype on eBay for the Marvel Previews with Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord. I found once people caught on the issues moved slower due to the abundance of copies that came shooting out all at once. I was able to unload all of them but had a tougher time getting ride of my last MP 7 due to the abundance that appeared after my initial wave of sales. May they pick up again as the movie progresses? Sure but I had less competition dumping early and the most I paid for any of them was $15 and they all sold for between $55-$125.

Agreed- most sales were in Oz - I sold a couple on ebay for $8 plus a tad extra on postage.

I will just keep putting one out there every now and again - although I won't make as much $ as you did!

I will wait with the slabs until the movie is closer and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice!

They remember EVERYTHING around here Andy lol

Apparently so!

Nice quality in story and design.

I have happily grabbed 10 x each no1 and will archive them for X amount of years and sell them as lots of 7 X #1's.

Seems a no-brainer really.

Watchmen original goes for $30 - $40 so I'm happy to wait the appropriate amount of time for BW.

$4 into $40 seems fair even if it takes 10 yrs.

But thats just me.

doh! I don't know Andy. Sounds as crazy as all those copies of Irredeemable Ant-Man you bought.

Watchmen has a special advantage. There are vast numbers of old comic fans who drifted away from the hobby years ago who still hold a special place in their hearts for Watchmen (e.g. me). These people return to the hobby from time to time, or just happen to hear that a Watchmen prequel was made, and they will want to read it. They may even feel the urge to collect it. I know they will, because that was my immediate impulse when I belatedly heard about it the other day.

So I don't think you're crazy for stashing some of them.

Thanks - appreciate the vote of confidence especially from someone who's been around these boards for over 5 yrs (thumbs u

I'm really enjoying reading them. Some are better than others, but overall a nice package that has me sucked back into the world of Watchmen.

Does anyone know why the new issues are not on the shipping list for the this week and next? My LCS owner had no clue when I asked him and showed him the back of Minute Men #4 with the covers and sale dates. All he could think of is that there was a production problem. (shrug)

I had been buying them weekly at the $3.99 cover price from my LCS. But then one Sunday afternoon I was rummaging through their $0.75 bins and noticed that the BW titles were all in there!

I no longer pick them up on release day, but instead find them in $0.75 bins or on ebay in lots for well under cover price

I had been buying them weekly at the $3.99 cover price from my LCS. But then one Sunday afternoon I was rummaging through their $0.75 bins and noticed that the BW titles were all in there!

I no longer pick them up on release day, but instead find them in $0.75 bins or on ebay in lots for well under cover price

The problem I have is that my LCS only orders 15 copies and has 3 or 4 left after their subscribers have theirs pulled. If I don't get there by Wednesday they are sold out.

I am willing to pay to have it the day it comes out. I have picked some up on ebay, but it's ten days after it comes out.

Does anybody know why the next two issues are not in the stores as scheduled?

The problem I have is that my LCS only orders 15 copies and has 3 or 4 left after their subscribers have theirs pulled. If I don't get there by Wednesday they are sold

That's ironic...my store gets around 50 copies each week and I don't pick them up til they're in the dollar or less bins!

Is "Before Watchmen" to "The Watchmen", what "Jar Jar Binks and Star Wars Episodes I, II, and II" are to the original Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV, V, and VI) ???

It sounds like the idea for "Before Watchmen" was spawned out of economic motivation than creative integrity, and in theory, they should have left the classic alone and if any readers wondered about the origins of their favorite characters, that's where their own imagination and "the theater of the mind" kicks in and makes the classic even memorable, rather than risking ruining the legacy with any hap hazard attempts at retelling parts of a story that's been told, and especially not involving the original creators like Alan Moore, almost cheapens the attempt.

Is "Before Watchmen" to "The Watchmen", what "Jar Jar Binks and Star Wars Episodes I, II, and II" are to the original Star Wars Trilogy (Episodes IV, V, and VI) ???

It sounds like the idea for "Before Watchmen" was spawned out of economic motivation than creative integrity, and in theory, they should have left the classic alone and if any readers wondered about the origins of their favorite characters, that's where their own imagination and "the theater of the mind" kicks in and makes the classic even memorable, rather than risking ruining the legacy with any hap hazard attempts at retelling parts of a story that's been told, and especially not involving the original creators like Alan Moore, almost cheapens the attempt.

I sympathise with this view, but Alan Moore is a big sulky weirdo. He wrote by far the greatest graphic novel of all time, but he's also a big sulky weirdo.

BW can't/won't tarnish the legend. It's untouchable. BW just looks like a fun way to revisit those characters and let some other creators play with them.

Do Sandman spinoffs ruin Sandman? Nope, those 75 issues will always be there.

The Star Wars prequels ruined Star Wars precisely because they were officially part of the canon and from the same creator. If they had been alternative imaginings from new creators, then it wouldn't matter so much that they misfired. We could dismiss them as non-canon. So it is with BW. If it's bad, just ignore it, it's not canonical. If it's fun, bonus.

I sympathise with this view, but Alan Moore is a big sulky weirdo. He wrote by far the greatest graphic novel of all time, but he's also a big sulky weirdo.

BW can't/won't tarnish the legend. It's untouchable. BW just looks like a fun way to revisit those characters and let some other creators play with them.

Do Sandman spinoffs ruin Sandman? Nope, those 75 issues will always be there.

The Star Wars prequels ruined Star Wars precisely because they were officially part of the canon and from the same creator. If they had been alternative imaginings from new creators, then it wouldn't matter so much that they misfired. We could dismiss them as non-canon. So it is with BW. If it's bad, just ignore it, it's not canonical. If it's fun, bonus.

Wow - great post.

+1

If people want to know the origin of these characters they can just read the old Charlton books that Moore plagiarized in the first place.

Also, you probably should actually read stuff before criticizing it.