• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Marvel of the Day 6/23/04

29 posts in this topic

either you've defiled a true goddess or your onto something about those chicks from south of the border (can i say that??!!) devil.gif

mmmm.... Miss Paraguay... south of the border.... cloud9.gif

the earlier DC's from the late 50's are no where near as nice as the latter '63-'64 books.

893frustrated.gif Too bad, because if they were, I'd be sending you a blank check right now which you could fill in as soon as you got them back from CGC! Of course, I'd be willing to live with nice DCs from 1960-63 too! It'd be a tough job, but someone's got to do it... tongue.gif

yeh - some of the early marvels did ok, but it's clear that the ones from 1963 and 1964 fared the best. i'm starting to believe that it's mostly a matter of the latter books having been handled less as i was starting my slow fade out of the hobby....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Burnt,

Oustanding books, keep them coming. Is the slow fade painful or does the fact that you have kept these treasures in super condition and only paid $0.12 for most of them make parting ways much easier. Do you still buy modern stuff for your reading pleasure or is the ship sailing for good?

yeh - some of the early marvels did ok, but it's clear that the ones from 1963 and 1964 fared the best. i'm starting to believe that it's mostly a matter of the latter books having been handled less as i was starting my slow fade out of the hobby....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Burnt,

Oustanding books, keep them coming. Is the slow fade painful or does the fact that you have kept these treasures in super condition and only paid $0.12 for most of them make parting ways much easier. Do you still buy modern stuff for your reading pleasure or is the ship sailing for good?

with all the books i've amassed in the last 2 years to supplement my original purchases, i'll be at this for another 20 years. also have a ton of Marvel Masterworks and DC archives to reminesce over......... cloud9.gif

letting that FF#11 go (1st sale in 40 years) was tough - suspect it will get easier as long as they go to good homes and the prices realized are decent grin.gif

this book sold for a fraction under asking price in less than a day - i'm sure things will cool off bigtime shortly............. frown.gif

the earlier DC's from the late 50's are no where near as nice as the latter '63-'64 books.

893frustrated.gif Too bad, because if they were, I'd be sending you a blank check right now which you could fill in as soon as you got them back from CGC! Of course, I'd be willing to live with nice DCs from 1960-63 too! It'd be a tough job, but someone's got to do it... tongue.gif

yeh, when i go back through the boxes i'm usually disappointed to see the condition of those 10 cent DC's. i mean, they're not terrible (4.0 - 7.0) but they're not what i remembered them to be. frown.gif but, they pick up in 1962-1964, so all is not lost........

Burnt: Any word from CGC re: the prospect of pedigree status for your collection? I've seen some "pedigrees" that don't come close to the condition of your books, and the single-owner status of your books seems to place them firmly in pedigree territory...

Did CGC ever comment on that point, or did you not bring it up with them?

Does anyone know if CGC has ever simply designated a collection as a pedigree (with the exception of the Dallas Stephens "pedigree") after receiving a stream of books from a particular submitter? I'm guessing not...so assuming the answer's no, how exactly does one raise the subject with CGC that a group of books may warrant pedigree status?

Burnt: Any word from CGC re: the prospect of pedigree status for your collection? I've seen some "pedigrees" that don't come close to the condition of your books, and the single-owner status of your books seems to place them firmly in pedigree territory...

Did CGC ever comment on that point, or did you not bring it up with them?

Does anyone know if CGC has ever simply designated a collection as a pedigree (with the exception of the Dallas Stephens "pedigree") after receiving a stream of books from a particular submitter? I'm guessing not...so assuming the answer's no, how exactly does one raise the subject with CGC that a group of books may warrant pedigree status?

hey, where have you been?? i mentioned the other day that i turned to the CGC boards from E-bay because you brought it up one day stating that the dudes over here really knew their s*#t.

short story, short, i haven't pursued it because i don't believe my collection has the consistency nor breadth to qualify. i've got a lot of great books but then there is a lot of mediocre stuff, as well.

but thanks just the same. i posted a bunch of decent DC's while you've been gone - check 'em out in past pretty book and sea devils threads........ thumbsup2.gif