• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #4 Value

31 posts in this topic

I'm a bit curious why Silver Surfer #4 is so valuable. Its not quite as valuable as #1, but sells for significantly more than any other issue in that series. Yet it is not the first appearance of anyone and doesn't seem to have any major events in it. I read it recently and it's a decent issue, but just a basic cross-over with Thor and not much significant happens. The only thing that really distinguishes it is it's classic cover. Does that cover really make it worth so much more than other Surfer issues?

To me issues 2 and 3 are superior, and have first appearances of the Badoon and Mephisto, yet they go for no where near as much as 4.

Its always been listed as "low distribution". I dont know how true that actually is but that and the classic cover is why its more expensive than 2,3, or 5 (thumbs u

Its always been listed as "low distribution". I dont know how true that actually is but that and the classic cover is why its more expensive than 2,3, or 5 (thumbs u

I've heard that its "low distribution" too, but is there any way to verify that?

Just from personal observation I don't seem to have more trouble finding 4s for sale as opposed to 2 or 3s. You'd think if it was actually low distribution that it'd be hard to find. Also, what would be the reason it was low distribution and 2,3, and 5 were not?

I've heard that its "low distribution" too, but is there any way to verify that?

Just from personal observation I don't seem to have more trouble finding 4s for sale as opposed to 2 or 3s. You'd think if it was actually low distribution that it'd be hard to find. Also, what would be the reason it was low distribution and 2,3, and 5 were not?

True but 4 is so much more valuable that they get slabbed and/or sold more often than 2,3, or 5 so even though it may have a lower print run, it still shows up more often (shrug)

Overstreet declares that it has "lower" distribution but it's always difficult to judge what that means. Overstreet says much the same about Conan #3 but the data isn't there to support such (Beerbolm has written on this).

It's undoubtedly the cover that sells the book. Whenever a popularity poll is conducted for best or favourite Silver Age cover, this issue is consistently near or at the top of the list. It's definitely considered one of Buscema's finest works.

Slabbing books has also put a preminum on covers as the best copies of books (outside of #1s) are purchased for this rather than for the contents which will never be read. As a artifact, a slabbed book can be judged as a "mini-work of art" with the cover as sole focus.

In addition, the word, iconic, is heavily overused for comic book covers, but the titanic nature of the composition probably makes this a prime example.

Yea it's mostly the crossover and fantastic cover. Overstreet notes it as "low distribution", but he should remove that because the meaning is confusing. The issue may not have been as widely distributed at its time of release as most comics are, but I haven't seen evidence they produced a lower number of copies corresponding to its lower distribution. Certainly the issue isn't hard at all to find--it may be the easiest issue of Silver Surfer to find.

It's the best cover (arguably) of the silver age featuring 2 popular heroes fighting...'nuff said. Look at the price of Fantastic Four 112 compared to 111 and 113, or Hulk 340 compared to 339 and 341. Same phenomenon.

:whistle:

It's the best cover (arguably) of the silver age featuring 2 popular heroes fighting...'nuff said. Look at the price of Fantastic Four 112 compared to 111 and 113, or Hulk 340 compared to 339 and 341. Same phenomenon.

Yes, my absolute favorite cover of the Silver Age. Granted that's subjective, but I'm sure many people feel similar.

Slabbing books has also put a preminum on covers as the best copies of books (outside of #1s) are purchased for this rather than for the contents which will never be read. As a artifact, a slabbed book can be judged as a "mini-work of art" with the cover as sole focus.

I think you're right, and it makes me kind of sad. While I love covers and do think they are an important aspect of the comic, the actual story and interior artwork are really what's important in a comic. Slabbing takes that importance away because unless you crack open your slabs, you never read the comic or see the inside. Of course a lot of people on here have probably read the comics before or purchase reprints of the comics they own in slabs, but they still never read their actual collection that is slabbed.

Yea it's mostly the crossover and fantastic cover.

Yup.

There was a thread a few weeks ago asking why Avengers #25 sells for so much more than the surrounding issues. I think it's the same story there. Avengers #25 is a great cover, but it's still nowhere close to the awesomeness of the Surfer #4.

Yup.

There was a thread a few weeks ago asking why Avengers #25 sells for so much more than the surrounding issues. I think it's the same story there. Avengers #25 is a great cover, but it's still nowhere close to the awesomeness of the Surfer #4.

That was me :acclaim:

Btw, by definition an Avengers cover is more awesome than a SS cover! lol

Yup.

How about an SS Avengers cover? :whistle:

Yup.

How about an SS Avengers cover? :whistle:

Now THAT is pure awesomeness!!! Especially when it features the Vision! :cloud9:

av116sus.jpg

I searched for like 6-7 years in the 90's for a HG copy and never could get one. This was the best copy i ever could find. It cost me probably as much as i could sell it now for even though i bought it like 15 years ago. I got it slabbed back in like 2000-2001 and though i would get a 9.2 but that crease just killed it. Without that, its probably 9.4 and maybe 9.6 with a press but i found out the hard way just how much CGC hates cover creases when i submitted it! :cry:

silsurf4.jpg