• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Gaiman's 1602 project

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know much about this 'secret' project?

According to Wizard it will involve most of Marvels characters, and maybe is some sort of 'Crisis' type re-origin of the Marvel Universe.

A Kubert is slated to pencil the series (a mini, I assume).

I am a fan of Gaiman's writing, his work on Sandman was great and very innovative in the comics field. Will be very interesting to see what he does with Marvel's stable of characters.

i have heard that it is a 100 year anniversary mini. It will be 100 years since FF #1(1961) and what is the marvel universe like (that sort of thing). Plus the numbers transposed is 2061. Again, this is a theory based upon a few things i have heard. May or may not be 100% accurate..........

According to Gaiman's current biography 1602 is an 8-Issue Mini-series that is currently in the -script and art stage. (Originally planned as 6 issues Quesada announced it would be expanded to 8 last July, although Neil was still referring to it as being about 6 issues in length last December, but he thought it was probably going to end up being longer than that)

According to Gaiman's online Journal entry on Jan.1 2003 he has completed

"The first three parts of 1602 for Marvel (The first is double-length. Parts Two and three are 22 pages. I think I'm just under half way through it. Andy Kubert's art is wonderful)"

When asked about it recently at slushfactory.com Gaiman said:

"It's fun with this project to do something that is quintessentially Marvel and quintessentially Neil Gaiman as well. I also think it's something no one has ever done before but still stay true to Marvel"

According to Rich Johnston last year:

The title of Neil Gaiman's upcoming Marvel Universe comic is 1602. But what does it mean? I've been told it's a reference to the manuscript "The City Of The Sun" by Italian writer Tommaso Campanella, written in 1602. The story tells of a utopian city built and lived in by seemingly perfect beings. One might presume 1602 will tell a similar tale. But with The Thing, Daredevil and Mr Fantastic...

Read the manuscript in question here: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/citysun.html

Stuart Moore said, "You may quote me to the effect that there is NO TRUTH to the rumor that the title 1602 refers to the number of microscopic nanobots who, it will supposedly be revealed, actually built the Marvel Universe from raw matter two days before the events of FANTASTIC FOUR #1". Bill Jemas followed up by saying, "I will neither confirm nor deny the rumor that 1602 is the number of tiny razor-sharp teeth in Paul Levitz' mouth.";

Kev