• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 small photo tips for cool convention pics.

69 posts in this topic

Again my original purpose is at least 100 dollars consumer cameras.

Not everyone can afford a DSLR and many of the small wonderful cameras can do a great job at capturing beauties at conventions (that is,comics AND women )

Alright, thanks! :)

I usually take pics with my iPhone (now 5)

However, when I want decent shots I bring this along. I love it.

The Cannon SX210IS

The zoom it gets is ridiculous and is easily stored in a pocket. It gets an 14x optical zoom and then there is a the digital zoom which I forget. At a 14.1 mega pixels you get some high resolution images. I have taken it on vacation and to a couple of ballgames.

Don't be freaked out by the price. I purchased it at a camera store on Long Island for much cheaper than what they are asking on Amazon for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX210IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B0035FZJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364260207&sr=8-1&keywords=cannon+sx+210

The Cannon SX210IS

The zoom it gets is ridiculous and is easily stored in a pocket. It gets an 14x optical zoom and then there is a the digital zoom which I forget. At a 14.1 mega pixels you get some high resolution images. I have taken it on vacation and to a couple of ballgames.

Don't be freaked out by the price. I purchased it at a camera store on Long Island for much cheaper than what they are asking on Amazon for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX210IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B0035FZJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364260207&sr=8-1&keywords=cannon+sx+210

It's only that high because they don't make it anymore. Last years model, the sx260 is $213 on amazon and they just announced the replacement, the sx280, which is a pre order for 329.

The Cannon SX210IS

It's only that high because they don't make it anymore. Last years model, the sx260 is $213 on amazon and they just announced the replacement, the sx280, which is a pre order for 329.

I was going to say...

It's a fantastic line of cameras either way and at $213 it is a great pickup.

It should be mentioned as far as HD video is concerned that the GoPro cameras are showing some impressive work but they ideally need to be mounted to a steady cam apparatus.

That said, even with a DSLR you can get an inexpensive steady cam apparatus. Of course you won't find HD video is the lower models of DSLR's though.

I picked up a GoPro recently and I don't know how those promo videos look so stable. Every use we've had so far picks up every bump and jiggle as you move.. to the point it can make you feel ill.

But amazing clarity... I mooned my missus midway through an obstacle race a couple of weekends ago and it captured up every hair.

It should be mentioned as far as HD video is concerned that the GoPro cameras are showing some impressive work but they ideally need to be mounted to a steady cam apparatus.

That said, even with a DSLR you can get an inexpensive steady cam apparatus. Of course you won't find HD video is the lower models of DSLR's though.

I picked up a GoPro recently and I don't know how those promo videos look so stable. Every use we've had so far picks up every bump and jiggle as you move.. to the point it can make you feel ill.

But amazing clarity... I mooned my missus midway through an obstacle race a couple of weekends ago and it captured up every hair.

I was down at my beach place over the weekend and saw a couple guys with GoPros suction cupped on their motorcycles.

Seems there's a lot of uses for these little things.