• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All this talk on film rights got me confused

27 posts in this topic

So,Marvel sold film rights of Spider-Man to Sony.

X-Men,Fantastic Four,and Daredevil to Fox.

Now that Marvel has it's own movie studio,they can make any movie from the Marvel Vault.

Can't they just buy back the film rights from Sony & Fox or is it more to it? (shrug)

I'm so confused :ohnoez:

You have to wonder how much the rights would be to buy them back too. With the films grossing 400-500 Million it may be way too much to spend on the rights to one group, or a single character.

Last I read about it Diseny looked into getting the rights back through legal trickery (lawyers) they decided that the contracts were to ironclad in favor of Sony and Fox so they gave up.

The rights expire if a movie isnt made every so many years. I assume that fox and Sony could sell the rights back but I'm sure they don't really want to do that after seeing the money that Avengers brought in.

Also there is an end date for the contracts sometime in the 2020s or something I think. After that date Diseny would get the rights back since they own marvel.

D, your sig line is starting to pizz me off!!! :frustrated:

There an awesomeness limit for each boardies sig line which you have surpassed! (tsk)

Please make the necessary adjustments! :baiting:

lol

Last I read about it Diseny looked into getting the rights back through legal trickery (lawyers) they decided that the contracts were to ironclad in favor of Sony and Fox so they gave up.

The rights expire if a movie isnt made every so many years. I assume that fox and Sony could sell the rights back but I'm sure they don't really want to do that after seeing the money that Avengers brought in.

Also there is an end date for the contracts sometime in the 2020s or something I think. After that date Diseny would get the rights back since they own marvel.

Damn :(

Unless they bomb at the Box Office hm

D, your sig line is starting to pizz me off!!! :frustrated:

There an awesomeness limit for each boardies sig line which you have surpassed! (tsk)

Please make the necessary adjustments! :baiting:

lol

lol

Save more money :baiting:

Can I FedEx you my wife and kids? :wishluck:

That's about the only way I'm gonna save more money! I'll pay the shipping and they'll only annoy the living hell out of you like 40% of the time! lol

It's been 9 years since the DD movie.. you woulda thought Marvel would get his rights back.

I think even the thought of that Ben Affleck nightmare would keep them from even thinking of getting his rights back for another 600-700 years hm

I think this is a good thing. Marvel Studios would only be able to handle X number of movies per year whether they have the rights to Spider-Man and X-Men etc or not. It means more total movies based on Marvel characters. It also forces Marvel to deliver quality adaptations of their lesser-known characters (something they have already been doing for the most part). Competition is good.

I'm interested to know if the licenses were gained from a one-time payment.

On a side note, I had a friend in investment banking who was leaving his job around 1997, and one of his options was to go work for Avi Arad & Marvel Entertainment. He is not a comic guy but what a great place to be right now. I can't think of a better job on the planet than to be close to the creative side of what they are doing with the cinematic universe right now.

I think this is a good thing. Marvel Studios would only be able to handle X number of movies per year whether they have the rights to Spider-Man and X-Men etc or not. It means more total movies based on Marvel characters. It also forces Marvel to deliver quality adaptations of their lesser-known characters (something they have already been doing for the most part). Competition is good.

What have they put out that was "lesser-known" so far?

I'm guessing he means ''lesser-known'' in the public eye.

Exactly... Iron Man and Thor for example... not as well-known as Spidey and the Hulk (although now they are). And going forward, they will be launching even lesser-known properties, B- and C-list or virtually unknown as far as the general public is concerned.

Really, what a good job they are doing. I think back a while and I thought there would never be a Spider-Man movie, much less back-to-back franchises.

Exactly... Iron Man and Thor for example... not as well-known as Spidey and the Hulk (although now they are). And going forward, they will be launching even lesser-known properties, B- and C-list or virtually unknown as far as the general public is concerned.

Really, what a good job they are doing. I think back a while and I thought there would never be a Spider-Man movie, much less back-to-back franchises.

I quickly realized how well they had done when my mother-in-law went to Iron Man...and loved it.

Can't wait to see what they do with GoTG!

If they can make GoTG a success, I think the head honchos at DC will officially jump off a bridge. Others disagree but other than the Hulk, almost all the characters in the Avengers were 2nd tier to the general public. My non comic friends kind of knew a little about Iron Man and Captain America but had never even heard of Thor much less Hawkeye or Black Widow. Those guys definitely aren't Spidey, batman or Supes! That they could make very successful individual films and then a team film that earned more than any Superman or Batman film is nothing short of astounding IMO!

If they somehow pull off Guardians of the Galaxy also.......man I would NOT want to be a DC executive!!! :o