• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Future of Comics

6 posts in this topic

I've been reading up on the CGC forum...lots of great stuff. I used to collect comics back in the mid 70s to early 80s and recently pulled out my long boxes and rebagged/boarded them. I've decided to start collecting again. Yes, I know, this is my first post and this might be an odd topic, but, I came across an article on the decline on baseball card collecting Collecting baseball cards not the same these days and it obviously got me thinking about comic books. What do you see as the future of comic collecting? Just like baseball/football cards, I remember going to the local convenience store and buying trading cards with gum and comic books. The youth of today aren't getting that experience, thus, no memories. So, the future of our hobby has to be affected, sadly. Unless, and I hope, maybe comic & card companies will start putting their products back in convenience stores, and, at more affordable prices. I can only hope. I'd really like to hear others opinions/thoughts on this.

The future of comics is digital and other mass media exposure. The floppys will always hold some value IMHO. The difference between baseball card collecting and comics? Outside of the niche of baseball enthusiasts the players come and go. Spiderman? Superman? etc.... so far they are timeless, classic characters who can be updated to fit the times as many times as it takes.

paperheart,

Thanks. I actually searched the forums prior to posting this, but found nothing. Probably either did a bad search or the query doesn't go back that far. Would be great if someone posts a link to the thread.