• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me, what to do with my comic collection??

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am new to the boards, so hi.

I am fairly new to the world of CGC collecting, been a big comic fan since I was young, and had hundreds of comics when i was a kid, but with reading them, not storing them correctly over the years I have very few left that are decent enough to be CGC graded.

To make a long story short, I need some help with some of my current collection that I have. I used to be a big TMNT fan and have a lot of decent issues that would grade anywhere from 9.0 to 9.8, here is the list:

Early Magazine issues

5 copies of TMNT #3 in NM+ (all would probably grade CGC 9.2-9.6)

5 copies of TMNT #4 in NM+ (all would probably grade CGC 9.2-9.6)

3 copies of the #1 Raphael 1 shot (all would probably grade 9.0-9.2)

Regular sized issues

3 copies of TMNT #5 (all would probably grade (9.6-9.8)

10 copies of TMNT #6 (all would probably grade (9.4-9.8)

7 copies of TMNT #7 (all would probably grade (9.4-9.6)

3 copies of Leonardo #1 1 shot (should grade 9.4-9.8)

3 copies of Donatello #1 1 shot (should grade 9.6-9.8)

3 copies of Michaelangelo #1 1 shot (should grade 9.4-9.8)

The burning question, is it worth the time and money to get these issues graded? Is it worth it to pay to have the lower graded stuff (9.0-9.4) graded by CGC. Or just stick to having the higher stuff graded (9.6-9.8)? Its quite a bit more expensive to have the magazine stuff graded vs. the regular sized comics. I mainly want to get into CGC collection for my love of comics, BUT I also want to treat these as investments as well, hopefully to appreciate over time.

OR I have had cash offers to sell the whole collection for around $500.00, but I don't know if this is a good deal or not? Should I sell and infest this money in a nice silver or golden age title, instead of having these graded?

Your advice and input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS AnimalMystic

If you like what you have then keep them raw and just purchase more comics to add to your collection. If you have lost interest in the TMNT then sell them for the original offer.

If you keep the books it really comes down to preference as to whether you want to grade them or not. If you are going to sell them then I don't think I would shell out the money to get them graded as it's probably not a wise investment.

As for which grades you should shoot for when slabbing, it differs on a book by book basis. With the list supplied, I would think you would need books in 9.4-9.8 condition to have a chance of selling them for something more than grading fees.

If you decide to sell them, you have to think about roughly 3 key decisions with regards to how to spend the money:

1. Quantity or Quality

2. Golden Age, Silver Age, or Bronze Age

3. Marvel, DC, Timely, EC, Nedor, Atlas, Star etc (publishers)

#1 refers to...Do you want to buy one nice comic or spread your money out over several books?

#2 refers to.....what age of book are you looking for? The older the book the higher the cost when it comes to super hero books (Superman, Batman, Spider-man, Hulk) etc

#3 refers to....Do you have a favorite publisher???? Marvel has been super hot for quite some time due to the movies so their may be more bargains available in DC. Plus if you go Golden Age their are hundreds of publishers to choose from.

Good Luck with you decision and if you need a little more help deciding what to do, check out Ebay and see what the books you have are selling for thumbsup2.gif