• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these comics worth it?

14 posts in this topic

I just started reading my run of Sub-Mariners (mid 1960's). About 7 or 8 of the early issues, coud be 9.2's or even 9.4's as the cover gloss is just emaculate with very little (if any) stress cracks along the spine and perfect corners.

But.....they have humidity damage on the cover with absolutely no staining whatsoever. And...the staples have rust on them. I am not interested in selling them, but am worried about the long-tern damage if the rust spreads. The rust came from the comics being stored by the previous owner in a high-humidity environment and are now stored properly.

The nicest one has no humidity damage but has the rust and the centre page is separated from the comic. (That really hurt) frown.gif

Should I invest in getting the staples cleaned AND should I also get the comic covers pressed at the same time.

Is it worth it. The guide on these even at 9.2 are pretty much up there? confused.gif

Unfortunately, Subby's aren't worth a ton to begin with and obviously aren't going to score 9.2's with rusty staples and humidity damage. Having the staples cleaned means restoration, and restoration means PURPLE. ...and we all know what PURPLE means!

My advice is to not worry about it and just enjoy them for what they are. Betcha they still look pretty nice in a Mylar!

Cheers,

-Jim

Unfortunately, Subby's aren't worth a ton to begin with and obviously aren't going to score 9.2's with rusty staples and humidity damage. Having the staples cleaned means restoration, and restoration means PURPLE. ...and we all know what PURPLE means!

My advice is to not worry about it and just enjoy them for what they are. Betcha they still look pretty nice in a Mylar!

Cheers,

-Jim

Getting the staples replaced gets a green label. Same effect as PLOD though in terms of value for replaced staples. confused-smiley-013.gif

Cheers,

-Jim

Getting the staples replaced gets a green label. Same effect as PLOD though in terms of value for replaced staples. confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought it only gets the PLOD if replaced with new staples, as opposed to replacing with staples from the same period.

Cheers,

-Jim

I thought it only gets the PLOD if replaced with new staples, as opposed to replacing with staples from the same period.

Not sure about that. I know OS allows vintage staples up to 9.4, but I'm not sure how the vintage vs. new issue affects the color of the label. Sounds like it's time for one of us to make another call to 877-NM-COMIC. confused-smiley-013.gif

Will the rust still get worse on the comics, and eventually eat through the paper. I'm pretty sure if they replace them with the same "era" of staples, I'll be ok as far as the paper label of doom goes. I am not going to get the comics CGC'd as I'm not interested in selling them. What concerns me are:

a) how nicer they will look with a flat cover

b) the further deterioration of the comic due to the rusty staples.

If the rust stops because of the change in storage conditions, I can live with the rusty staples, although I am thinking.....do they have to take the comic apart to press the cover? or......do they simply press it while everything is attached.

...any idea what the going rate is to get staples cleaned/replaced and/or pressing?

Will the rust still get worse on the comics, and eventually eat through the paper. I'm pretty sure if they replace them with the same "era" of staples, I'll be ok as far as the paper label of doom goes. I am not going to get the comics CGC'd as I'm not interested in selling them. What concerns me are:

a) how nicer they will look with a flat cover

b) the further deterioration of the comic due to the rusty staples.

If the rust stops because of the change in storage conditions, I can live with the rusty staples, although I am thinking.....do they have to take the comic apart to press the cover? or......do they simply press it while everything is attached.

...any idea what the going rate is to get staples cleaned/replaced and/or pressing?

confused-smiley-013.gif Call Matt Nelson. www.comicrestoration.com

My reasoning for the PLOD was that cleaning or replacing the staples would mean disassembling the book. Doesn't detected disassembly automatically get a PLOD?

You're right, though. No point in guessing. Maybe one of the CGC folks will see this and respond, so we don't have to bug them with a phone call.

My reasoning for the PLOD was that cleaning or replacing the staples would mean disassembling the book. Doesn't detected disassembly automatically get a PLOD?

You're right, though. No point in guessing. Maybe one of the CGC folks will see this and respond, so we don't have to bug them with a phone call.

Staple replacement is also disassembly.

Looks like cleaned staples get the green label, not purple. GLOD for cleaned staples.

I agree with FFB that the replaced staples would get a Qualified label. I have seen several SA CGC books up on eBay with green labels for this this procedure.

Seems kind of a shame to be penalized that way for trying to keep a comic from deteriorating. frown.gif

Again, does anyone know if the rust tends to get worse with time. Or, by removing the comic from the conditions that started the rust, does that make it stop. I do believe rust needs Oxygen. Wondering if there's enough in a bag to help it along. "Cause while they were rusting, they were not in a bag. Obviously the storage conditions were less than ideal.

The only positive is the comics were never handled.

The main issue is that staple rust WILL deteriorate the paper, right there in the area where the whole thing is held together. Bigger problem than a funny colored label.

Subbies are cheap. Go find a beater with clean staples and replace them.