• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Commissions-You-Are-Waiting-For Thread

117 posts in this topic

Bleeding Cool helped me this weekend with Seth Frail, 15 months after promising it would take 1-2 weeks. The art is done and in the mail yesterday apparently. Now it is Nick Pitarra, 15 months after promising it would take 1 week. Hmmm, same situation and yet no alert to Rich Johnson. Why I am treating him differently I do not know. :-(

Bleeding Cool helped me this weekend with Seth Frail, 15 months after promising it would take 1-2 weeks. The art is done and in the mail yesterday apparently. Now it is Nick Pitarra, 15 months after promising it would take 1 week. Hmmm, same situation and yet no alert to Rich Johnson. Why I am treating him differently I do not know. :-(

Pitarra took two months to mail me comic books he owed me. This little bit of fame I think got to his head unfortunately.

Guys, please don't mock me as I'm sure this could be posted in a different forum but I have to ask. How did you get all this info with regards to these guys? I mean I've only been able to reach out to a few artists but wouldn't even know who to contact about the J Scott Campbell's and Romita's. Nevermind the one's i did reach out to, I haven't heard back from yet. Can anyone provide any info with regards of who to contact, or were these more or less all sketch opps posted and you built relationships with the artists from there?

thanks in advance and i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum

Pitarra took two months to mail me comic books he owed me. This little bit of fame I think got to his head unfortunately.

After this post and some other grumbling by me Nick sent me my money back yesterday. He says he will get to the commissions eventually and do them for free but when I do not know.

Guys, please don't mock me as I'm sure this could be posted in a different forum but I have to ask. How did you get all this info with regards to these guys? I mean I've only been able to reach out to a few artists but wouldn't even know who to contact about the J Scott Campbell's and Romita's. Nevermind the one's i did reach out to, I haven't heard back from yet. Can anyone provide any info with regards of who to contact, or were these more or less all sketch opps posted and you built relationships with the artists from there?

Online websites and such is how I do it. And conventions, I ask about commissions and get contact info. I have never done a sketch opp. I also have never booked a commission through any social media but many many artists have twitter and facebook things you can ask about commissions. And keep you eyes and ears open. And email artists and ask - it helps to tell them to keep your name on any list if they ever change and take commissions some artists will use those emails to reward the early fans. Rafael Grampa recently did it this way, and Dustin Weaver has told me he will do it that way when he decides to take on a few.

No need to fear mocking, that is the comic guys - not the original art section. :/

Online websites and such is how I do it. And conventions, I ask about commissions and get contact info. I have never done a sketch opp. I also have never booked a commission through any social media but many many artists have twitter and facebook things you can ask about commissions. And keep you eyes and ears open. And email artists and ask - it helps to tell them to keep your name on any list if they ever change and take commissions some artists will use those emails to reward the early fans. Rafael Grampa recently did it this way, and Dustin Weaver has told me he will do it that way when he decides to take on a few.

No need to fear mocking, that is the comic guys - not the original art section. :/

Thanks, appreciate the help

Thanks, appreciate the help

No sweat. The first try should be a simple search engine search, and go from there. Anyone in particular you want to know about? You should always ask, quietly and tactfully, if anyone has any horror stories before you commit to anything. There are many artists (Sadowski, Noto, Sienkiewicz, Kaluta off the top of my head) most would recommend you NOT pay until the art is done. And when artists ask for it all upfront I usually tell them I would prefer 50% now and 50% when completed and they usually understand and agree.

Pirate, I think it's more accurate to say that Nick is young and inexperienced. I've met him a few times and talked to him a few more and I don't see ego as his problem. Over committing in the interest of pleasing his fans, yes, that could be a problem he has.

and

After this post and some other grumbling by me Nick sent me my money back yesterday. He says he will get to the commissions eventually and do them for free but when I do not know.

Sean, glad that worked out. As I mentioned to Pirate, I think Nick is trying to do too much. He seems genuinely interested in his fans and wants to make everyone happy. The problem is he seems to lack the bandwidth to handle all requests (commissions, signings,etc.) and work commitments.

BTW, I am a big fan of the Manhattan Projects. That's one weird and wonderful book. If you aren't reading it, check out the first trade or the digital versions on Comixology.

Alex, I wouldn't exactly say it worked out. 15 months of aggravation with nothing to show for it at this point doesn't equal working out to me. Thanks for the help though, it made a difference. I want the art though, as I told Nick even this past week.

Pirate, I think it's more accurate to say that Nick is young and inexperienced. I've met him a few times and talked to him a few more and I don't see ego as his problem. Over committing in the interest of pleasing his fans, yes, that could be a problem he has.

To each their own, but of course you were involved with my transaction so you would know.

To each their own, but of course you were involved with my transaction so you would know.

Of course, I was not involved in your transaction or Sean's (other than to point Nick to the forum).

I was speaking the to perception that I have received from him on my visits (face to face and e-mail). I believed that the reader would understand that it is my POV and not yours. Sorry if my wording confused you or others.

On the clock:

• Tonal, two person (Raven and Trigon) by George Perez to be picked up at Comicpalooza here in Houston in May. Hand delivery is the best. :) I've seen this one and I really like it.
  • Pencil drawing of my youngest daughter's favorite scene in Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows - Harry and his dead in the forest) by Colleen Doran. Due May 8th.
  • Action Cat painting by Art Baltazar. Due Jun, 2013. Kickstarter
  • Two figure drawing by Mike Kaluta. Due Feb, 2014. Kickstarter

On the clock:
  • Tonal, two person (Raven and Trigon) by George Perez to be picked up at Comicpalooza here in Houston in May. Hand delivery is the best. :) I've seen this one and I really like it.
  • Pencil drawing of my youngest daughter's favorite scene in Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows - Harry and his dead in the forest) by Colleen Doran. Due May 8th.

Progress. I've now seen the GP drawing (due in a couple of weeks) and the Colleen Doran piece (due on Thursday).

Too many to list right now, which is probably never a good thing. :makepoint:

I will say that I keep an exact list of when I paid someone, every email exchanged and the projected date I should expect the piece. I will usually check in about mid way between the date paid and the finish date if I haven't received an update. I already have two artists that quoted me two weeks and are late (both seem like nice guys) but I also keep the dispute date with PayPal on my phone with an alert. Once I hit that date, I'll file the dispute. No excuses. Like someone else mentioned, you can always resubmit payment when and if the piece gets finished.

I've seen way too many horror stories about two weeks turning into 4 years. I don't care how much I like your work, I'm not going to let that happen.

On the clock:

Two down

and two to go.