• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail or Not?

37 posts in this topic

The language has been debased even further these days, as it is no longer 'Holy Grail' but now just 'Grail' and every other piece seems to be one. IMO every OA collector on CAF should get ONE piece in their CAF to designate as a Grail and that's it. The public get to anoint the prefix of Holy or not. :grin:

2c

The language has been debased even further these days, as it is no longer 'Holy Grail' but now just 'Grail' and every other piece seems to be one. IMO every OA collector on CAF should get ONE piece in their CAF to designate as a Grail and that's it. The public get to anoint the prefix of Holy or not. :grin:

2c

I like this opinion. Although I would say I have few "grails" and my opinion is 5 tops. I myself also consider a grail to be personal and attainable. I do not consider a Ditko Doc page my grail, because it isn't gonna happen. Instead I have a few others, Golden and PCR Doc images among them, that I could see attaining if the circumstances are right.

But again, I like the opinion above too.

Everytime I hear the word Grail, I think about the Templar Knight guarding the grail in the Indiana Jones movies:

"He chose...poorly." Cracks me up.

I would think holy grail differs from person to person based on their personal preference, it could be anything

When I hear "grail" I think of a top want, maybe something like your top 10 or so all time wants. "Holy grail" would likely be your top want, or maybe one of your top few wants if you cant decide on a singular all time favorite piece. I don't know if I have one piece I'm looking for that is absolutely head and shoulders above all others

+1 I'm in with this train of thought and have used the term to describe a piece I obtained. :thumbsup:

The holy grail is the holy grail. There is no "this is my holy grail" and "that is your holy grail". Different legends have made different items the holy grail of their time but it was always only particular item. In american comic art collecting, it can be nothing other than Action #1. Who knows if it even exists but that is the holy grail. It is the most significant piece. It would be the most difficult to obtain and who knows if it even exists!

As a comic-book, I could understand why Action # 1 would stand head-and-shoulders above all other books for comics-collectors.

As a piece of (cover) art . . . other factors come into play.

For me, the cover image of Action # 1 is crude and carries no aesthetic appeal - so interest would be for what it is, rather than what it looks like (if that makes sense?).

As an artwork collector, I lean more towards something that I can enjoy looking at . . .

The cover art to Action # 1 would be more of a trophy piece (for me), rather than something that carries visual appeal.

The holy grail is the holy grail. There is no "this is my holy grail" and "that is your holy grail". Different legends have made different items the holy grail of their time but it was always only particular item. In american comic art collecting, it can be nothing other than Action #1. Who knows if it even exists but that is the holy grail. It is the most significant piece. It would be the most difficult to obtain and who knows if it even exists!

As a comic-book, I could understand why Action # 1 would stand head-and-shoulders above all other books for comics-collectors.

As a piece of (cover) art . . . other factors come into play.

For me, the cover image of Action # 1 is crude and carries no aesthetic appeal - so interest would be for what it is, rather than what it looks like (if that makes sense?).

makes perfect sense.

In a similar vein, if forced to pick a single kirby cover.... how does one not take AF15 or FF1? I don't think either is the best cover of jack's career, although they are both very nice. 'What they are' would be impossible to deny though.

Actually, I'd have to think those are two good candidates for some of the only pieces that could challenge and possibly surpass the Action 1 cover in value. Assuming any of them exist.

Building on what you said, I actually think the AF15 cover right here, right now, would outdo the action 1 cover at auction. Better image, deeper demand (more kirby and spidey collectors than shuster and supes...), and very-nearly-as-historical.

I might be smoking something, and its all make believe anyways, but I had to pick one page of comic art to designate as the most valuable in theory, it would be the AF15 cover.

That is amazing! Is that yours?

Yes. It's the cover the one of the Dark Horse Spear of Destiny issues.

Is it a . . . Grail . . ? hm

No it's the Spear of Langolis. :baiting:

Although my personal art grail would probably be Amsel's painting used for the rerelease poster of Raiders. I believe Spielberg owns it. I had the poster above my computer all through college. Even with a mega millions jackpot I don't think Spielberg and his nearly 4 billion dollar worth would want to sell.

No it's the Spear of Langolis. :baiting:

He was awesome in Lord of the Rings. I don't remember a spear though. hm