• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are you hoping gets an upcoming Artist's Edition book from IDW?

61 posts in this topic

Now, I have to figure out how to buy a Harris, a Kane, and a Schultz.

I'm spending far more money with IDW than I ever expected. :)

The Kane edition sounds amazing - those are some of my all-time favorite Spidey stories. Being a big Schultz fan, I look forward to picking up that volume too. I picked up the Aragones SDCC edition at the show yesterday; all I'm missing now is the Stevens one, which I'm glad to see is being reissued. :applause:

I say this only half-jokingly - if IDW keeps putting out this many quality Artist Edition books, I may just quit collecting OA and buy the books instead. I mean, I can spend thousands/tens of thousands of dollars for a nice Gil Kane cover (heck, the best of the Spidey stuff would probably sport 6-figure price tags in this overheated market) or I can spend $125 and get full-color, full-sized reproductions of my very favorite work by him. It makes so much sense it's scary. :eek:

Gil Kane Spider-man...heck yeah! I'm looking forward to that one.

In regards to Sam Kieth's The Maxx, Sam did hold on to most of the art. I know Jim Sinclair has a few pages from the series ( including one of my favorite pages from that first issue) and the original unused cover from issue 1. Little known fact is that the published cover had a stat on it from the original drawn, unused cover. (I got to look at these in person and was in awe being a fan of Kieth's art). Otherwise Kieth should have most or all of it, as none of it serms to have hit the open market.

Not sure about the possibilities on some of these but I'd be interested if they were done.

(Some of this is probably wishful thinking)

Gene Colan Daredevil

Don Heck Avengers ( or Iron Man)

John Romita Jr Amazing Spider-man

Jack Kirby lots to choose from and I'd be happy with most anything

Dave Cockrum Uncanny X-Men

There's probably a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Don

Awesome! I wish they could put out all of Mark's Xenozoic Tales in this format.

So far, I only have the Rocketeer one, but these Kane's Spidey and Schultz are very appealing! Just wish we could see some Batman collection!

I really like the cover on the Rocketeer re-print. And a Mark Shultz book! It's not the Al Williams I was holding me breath for, but I'll take it.

Somebody sell me on this Joe Kubert Tarzan book. I would buy a Joe Kubert war title in a heartbeat, but for some reason can't get excited about Tarzan.

Thanks for the link, alxjhnsn.

Steve Ditko - Amazing Spider-Man

Jack Kirby - any '60s Marvel

John Buscema - Silver Surfer or Conan

Jim Steranko - any '60s Marvel

Neal Adams - X-Men, Batman or GL/GA

Gene Colan - Daredevil or Tomb of Dracula

Barry Windsor-Smith - Conan or Weapon X

Jose Gonzalez - Vampirella

Bernie Wrightson - Swamp Thing

John Byrne - X-Men

Frank Miller - Daredevil or DKR

Dave Cockrum - X-Men

Paul Smith - X-Men

John Romita, Jr. - Spider-Man or X-Men

Brian Bolland - Judge Dredd

Jim Lee - X-Men or Batman (Hush)

Todd McFarlane - Spider-Man

I say this only half-jokingly - if IDW keeps putting out this many quality Artist Edition books, I may just quit collecting OA and buy the books instead. I mean, I can spend thousands/tens of thousands of dollars for a nice Gil Kane cover (heck, the best of the Spidey stuff would probably sport 6-figure price tags in this overheated market) or I can spend $125 and get full-color, full-sized reproductions of my very favorite work by him. It makes so much sense it's scary. :eek:

I am with you. Every time one of these books comes out, I get my 'fix' for a while and I'm only on the hook for a hundred bucks (rather than a couple thousand bucks)

Is it true that Shultz never finished the story in Xenozoic Tales / Cadillacs & Dinosaurs? I haven't ever read any of it. That won't stop me from buying the AA, but I'm gonna be disappointed when I get the not-end of the story.

John Bolton - Kull the Conqueror

Jim Starlin - Adam Warlock

Frank Brunner - Dr Strange

Marshall Rogers - Mister Miracle

BWS - Conan

Jim Steranko - Captain America

Michael Golden - Micronauts

Here's the poop:

EXCLUSIVE: IDW Publishing's Artist's Editions of Gil Kane's Spider-Man and Mark Schultz's 'Xenozoic Tales' [sDCC]

I've bought them all so far and anxiously await the Kubert Tarzan and Aragones Groo.

Now, I have to figure out how to buy a Harris, a Kane, and a Schultz.

I'm spending far more money with IDW than I ever expected. :)

The Gil Kane Spiderman book looks strong. I wish ASM 122 was in it as that is one of my favorite issues in all comics. :cry:

I never heard of Xenozoic before, but the art looks crazy! :o

Re: Kubert Tarzan

I'm not sure how to sell you on it except to say that the artwork on the original comics was flat out awesome. Go to the CAF and search "Kubert Tarzan" and set the status to "Published" to see a very small sample.

Re: Sergio

I wish I could get him to sign/sketch mine. :( Heck, I wish I had mine. :) It's "processing." :(

Re: Xenozoic Tales

Never finished. I understand he got busy. :)

Hi Scott (Dunbier), thanks for dropping in. Obviously we all love your product. I just wanted to ask a question about rate of production. I'm sure some of the guys of in this thread with deeper pockets than me would love a new book every month or two. But the output of these seems to be accelerating at what (my wallet hopes) is an unsustainable rate. We had The Rocketeer in 2010, Simonson's Thor in 2011, and in 2012 we've had Romita's Spider-Man, Wally Wood, Mazzuchelli's Daredevil, Aragones' Groo, the Eisner Spirit book tentatively in 2012, the Kubert Tarzan potentially in September, and the Mad book potentially in December! (Plus the two portfolios, which I think are an interesting attempt at a lower cost AE product, but the page/price ratio is a tough one to resolve) I don't mean to complain about having so many great books, but I really can't keep up and would like to very much. Is the line likely to slow back down anytime soon?

Also, (and I fully realize that asking about more expensive versions of expensive books seems counter-intuitive from a guy complaining about limited cash flow) the Wally Wood and John Romita volumes both dropped before there was any notice of the upcoming con editions. Is there any way that those of us who care about such things could find out about the potential for such releases?

And for anyone besides Scott (or Scott if it applies) who has a spare copy of said Romita con edition, who might be interested in parting with it for a reasonable sum, hit me up.

And count me among those REALLY excited about the Kane and Schultz volumes!

Since I am not buying them all, I say keep up the pace!

I currently have (and love):

Simonson

Romita

100% getting:

Simonson Alien

Rocketeer

Interested in:

Mazzucchelli's Daredevil

Gil Kane's Spidey (100% get if ASM 122 makes it's way in their)

Schult'z Xenozoic Tales (never heard of this, but the art is to good to ignore)

On a different note - what really puts me over the edge on buying these are the youtube videos of people flipping through the books. I would love to see pre-release official versions of these videos

I dig all of these so far and am completely excited about The Rocketeer sevond print. Yeah, I messed up the first time and didn' t have the funds to commit at the time. Glad that I'm getting a second chance.

Love seeing everyone's wish lists, and to Scott I say " keep up the good work". These books truly honor the artists represented in them.

Don

no particular order

McFarlane - Spawn

Miller - Ronin

Moebius (not Blueberry)

Byrne - FF stories

Zeck - Kraven

Mignola - Hellboy

Miller - Sin City

Chadwick - Concrete

along with

MORE Simonson Thor and

Mazz/Miller: Batman Year One

I'm really excited with the Kane book!! It contains key issues, specially #121! In fact, just #121 is enough to buy the book...

My only "but" in this book is that there's only one issue embellished by Romita Sr. Imho they were the best team of the series, and I'd really wish to enjoy a whole book filled with art by both. I'm sure that #121 will leave me hungry for more.

It'd be fantastic if the book also would include the full set of layouts by Kane of ASM #121, the perfect companion for the original art. Not long ago it was posted it in CAF, but it changed hands and disappeared.

Again, thanks to the IDW crew for releasing these jewels filled with museum-quality stuff, and to the collectors who provide the art.