• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay UK policy change!

10 posts in this topic

Just thought some of you may be interested in the following, came out recently:

Surcharge Policy

eBay has adopted the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay prohibits surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge.

Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

2. Cheques and Money Order: Sellers may not charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of cheques and money orders.

3. eBay Fees: Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees.

Exceptions to the Surcharge Policy

1. Credit and Debit Card Payments: Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company.

These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more.

Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction.

2. Posting and Handling: Sellers may add a reasonable posting and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed up front in the listing. A posting and handling fee can cover only the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Posting and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

3. Escrow: Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service and if the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

4. Different Currencies: Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

That is correct. Ebay UK always let people charge for paypal. I guess now they really know how to fleece you.

Ebay fees+Paypal fees+++paypals REDUCED currency exchange rate= 893censored-thumb.gif'd sellers 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Yeah I noticed, put a bunch of stuff on ebay.uk this week, and the result was mixed, had a mad bunch of bids for a VG ASM #122, but my 9.4 ASM #125 barely sold for (opening bid of) £9.99 confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow, i have just checked your last auctions... Next time do not hesitate to email me before when you put books like theses on Ebay. I cannot believe the price on your asm #123 ! foreheadslap.gif

yeah tell me about it frown.gif

I still am under the impression that none of you fine lads want any of my [!@#%^&^] and never bother to advertise them on the boards confused-smiley-013.gif

Did you see that ASM #125.... ???? I'm telling you the book is gorgeous, and with the cameo of John Jameson/Man-Wolf in Spidey movie 2, I was sure it would go (a lot) higher than that [!@#%^&^] £9.99 893frustrated.gif