• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye Mr. Goodbar

117 posts in this topic

I can't help but not be compelled to say something about this situation.

I know there is no predictive approach to weed out this insanity, but perhaps its time for the boards to clamp down and institute some measures to ensure when more extreme activity occurs, the authorities have more to go by than just a faked identity.

I don't need to know what happened in every detail, but based on Roy's reaction, I'm pretty sure it involves being targeted. The worst part is that at the core of this community is discussion centered around the kinds of things we share in common.

When POS, commode scum, decide to target other members, and invade on that common thread that connects us all as members, it violates the entire community and not just that member being targeted.

More to the point, as a long-standing member here, I shouldn't have to worry that the information I've shared about myself will somehow be used against me by some unstable, lurking malcontent.

Unless the mods address this lunacy in a manner that sends a stern message of zero tolerance, and can assist in extreme situations by providing an accurate string of information on who these people are that frequent these message boards, I'm pretty much done here.

I brought this up months ago but the status quo reigns. Expect nothing to be done.

I am not sure that is fair. This community is no different than any other. If there is a mentally ill person in your neighborhood, or a criminal, all the mental health community or the police can do is respond to informational reports from the other community members. And based upon that information they can act.

As such, it behooves us to be proactive and alert the mods when people behave erratically, target other members, and consistently act like whack jobs.

Looking at the user list, there's someone who registered yesterday with a gmail account - unrelated to this event, just the first new user I saw with a visible email address - so I don't think that's changed.

I'm not sure what the options are for dealing with people like this who have a stated intent to be troublemakers. Some people are just imbalanced that way, and the Internet is a great way to lash out at random people in an anonymous way.

Personally, I'd like everyone's email account to be visible in their profiles. It would at least increase the number of eyeballs within the community and provide a way for those that chose so to be vigilant about new members or recognise patterns that might not be easily seen by the admins or mods

As such, it behooves us to be proactive and alert the mods when people behave erratically, target other members, and consistently act like whack jobs.

Wow - to me, you've just described about 50% of the members here.

Personally, I'd like everyone's email account to be visible in their profiles. It would at least increase the number of eyeballs within the community and provide a way for those that chose so to be vigilant about new members or recognise patterns that might not be easily seen by the admins or mods

Not sure I want my work email being shown to the world TBH.

I know there is no predictive approach to weed out this insanity, but perhaps its time for the boards to clamp down and institute some measures to ensure when more extreme activity occurs, the authorities have more to go by than just a faked identity.

I don't need to know what happened in every detail, but based on Roy's reaction, I'm pretty sure it involves being targeted. The worst part is that at the core of this community is discussion centered around the kinds of things we share in common.

When POS, commode scum, decide to target other members, and invade on that common thread that connects us all as members, it violates the entire community and not just that member being targeted.

More to the point, as a long-standing member here, I shouldn't have to worry that the information I've shared about myself will somehow be used against me by some unstable, lurking malcontent.

Unless the mods address this lunacy in a manner that sends a stern message of zero tolerance, and can assist in extreme situations by providing an accurate string of information on who these people are that frequent these message boards, I'm pretty much done here.

I brought this up months ago but the status quo reigns. Expect nothing to be done.

I am not sure that is fair. This community is no different than any other. If there is a mentally ill person in your neighborhood, or a criminal, all the mental health community or the police can do is respond to informational reports from the other community members. And based upon that information they can act.

The governance level of "care" here is shallow.

When Craig Newmark started hearing about all the fraud, scams and crime being perpetrated by malcontents using Craigslist, he immediately made changes to the way people could post ads.

Why? Primarily because he cared about his site, and what people were saying about it.

Now anyone who's ever sold a microwave, lamp, kitchen appliance, table, car or comic book on Craigslist knows the only way you can post something on the site is to authenticate via phone/text.

If new members can't take a minute to authenticate using a phone, and have their privacy wall too high for their eyes to see the reasons far outweigh their wallowing listlessness, then this place probably isn't for them.

His name is no longer on the user list. I'd say he's been zapped.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=13068 :shrug:

Misinformation. doh!

Chris is still stuck in the warm, glowing memories of the Coldplay concert.

I hope he gets his kicked out in San Diego. Hey Trippy, YOU CAN'T HANDLE YOUR ALCOHOL, you stupid waste of air

Oh, I don't think he's in SD. Some of my posts may have made it sound like he was in SD but that was just me fuming and not typing clearly. I think he's resident somewhere in the Carolina states or thereabouts.

He was saying he was going to be in Charlotte at Heroes this year IIRC.

Does anyone know who this *spoon* is in real life?

Yeah, I think he's well known by a few dealers that are local to him.

BUTM made a gif with his video but I lost it since all of Trippy's posts are gone now.

If new members can't take a minute to authenticate using a phone, and have their privacy wall too high for their eyes to see the reasons far outweigh their wallowing listlessness, then this place probably isn't for them.

+1,000,000

Verifying accounts with a valid phone number would alleviate a lot of shill stuff, I'm sure. I'm sure it's a cost issue, but man - it'd be worth it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=13068 :shrug:

Misinformation. doh!

Chris is still stuck in the warm, glowing memories of the Coldplay concert.

OK, I thought his posts were gone (I didn't bother double checking).

That means this is still available as is this:

trippy-mcskippy-o.gif

I guess I'm expecting the same conditional treatment, where the mods/admins act like The Watcher when any mud is slung against against a sponsor, but like Keystone Cops when someone acts irresponsibly or criminally.

I've been targeted twice on these boards.

The first time was by a jerk-off firing off baseless accusations and allegations about me being a felon. The jerk-off happened to be insulated by his job which made it near impossible to get a fixed address and any charges laid against him.

The second happened more recently, and the person I suspect has shared absolutely zero information about themselves on these boards.

On the flipside, I've done my part to make information freely available about who I am and my interests in the hobby. I've hid nothing about myself as I've always believed it to be important to be upfront with my real-life identity.

Since the last situation, I've had to roll out a moderate level of privacy safeguards because I don't feel as safe with sharing my information as freely anymore on these boards.

No equal footing here, just a big wet dream of a welcome mat for malcontents to wreck it for people who are simply trying to build their personal brands and reputation, and who do nothing more than take away any fun for members who come here to spend time and congregate around hobby-related discussion.

When I misinterpreted his comment about his popcorn, thinking he was making a joke, I PMed him to apologize and he simply said "it's cool" and then gave me a link to him playing a guitar on YouTube.

When I said the video was cool, he said the guitar is for sale for $200

:screwy:

For the record, I wasn't targeted personally.

(thumbs u

Your back was sure as hell up, though. (worship)

But, really, putting yourself in his shoes wouldn't anyone have their back up? It's only fair to see things from that side as well, to try and see the justification in all actions and thus attempt to understand on a basic level what motivat.......Wait a MINUTE....I am starting to talk like Roy and Roy's talking like me.

We have a Wacky Wednesday in progress!!! :ohnoez:

Roy are you feeling your hair thinning? I can feel my pants turning to mismatched leather!!!

Banned.

And ye shall be smitten by the mighty BAN HAMMER!!!!!!!

I nominate that this be the theme song played every time someone gets banned.