• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help putting a value on 2 books for insurance purposes

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys/gals, i have 2 golden age detective comic books, both i've had for a little while, and i really don't have a good idea what their value is. if anyone could help, i'd greatly appreciate it. i understand it's harder to price SS books, but even a good rough idea would be helpful. The 'Tec #6 is the oldest officially signed book (though i have found 2 raw books from earlier that were signed)

2012-07-11_18-39-50_540.jpg

2012-07-11_18-40-07_686.jpg

2012-07-11_18-40-21_397.jpg

2012-07-11_18-40-26_835.jpg

There's not much data on GA SS books, however, the general trend in GPA is that the 2.5 would be priced 1.5 to 2.0 grades higher (4.0 to 4.5) and the 6.0 would be priced 2 grades higher (8.0). There is a lot of variability and 0.5-1.5 copies do not sell for much more than an unsigned copy.

There's not much data on GA SS books, however, the general trend in GPA is that the 2.5 would be priced 1.5 to 2.0 grades higher (4.0 to 4.5) and the 6.0 would be priced 2 grades higher (8.0). There is a lot of variability and 0.5-1.5 copies do not sell for much more than an unsigned copy.

thank you. that helps a lot

Others will know a lot more about the market, but I see this as an example where the signature and story behind it adds a significant cultural value that did not exist prior to the signing. Now, it is an item that will get everyone who sees it excited about Flessel's work and pre-hero comics. I personally doubt that would translate into a much higher price if it were to be listed for auction in the near future, but it is so unique and the story is so compelling that a fair argument might be made for a much higher insurance value. It is essentially irreplaceable and, if my collection had a focus on Flessel, it would probably take a very good cover reproduction (like those owned by jbcomicbox) or a piece of original GA art by him to make up for its potential loss. If that's the case, the replacement cost should be higher than the market value of another Tec' 6 in the same condition. There are board members who have done professional appraisals for insurance companies and you might be able to get help from one of them.

Others will know a lot more about the market, but I see this as an example where the signature and story behind it adds a significant cultural value that did not exist prior to the signing. Now, it is an item that will get everyone who sees it excited about Flessel's work and pre-hero comics. I personally doubt that would translate into a much higher price if it were to be listed for auction in the near future, but it is so unique and the story is so compelling that a fair argument might be made for a much higher insurance value. It is essentially irreplaceable and, if my collection had a focus on Flessel, it would probably take a very good cover reproduction (like those owned by jbcomicbox) or a piece of original GA art by him to make up for its potential loss. If that's the case, the replacement cost should be higher than the market value of another Tec' 6 in the same condition. There are board members who have done professional appraisals for insurance companies and you might be able to get help from one of them.

thank you for your response.