• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

Koch/Thibodeaux:

Ditko ASM #12 splash - $150K

Ditko ASM #8 p. 11 - $42K

(Mc)Spidey #8 cover - $85K

Kirby FF #55 page Surfer vs. Thing (5 panels, think it's the pg. right before the one he tries to break the board) - $75K

Kirby FF #55 p. 5 - $55K

BWS Conan #2 p. 1 splash - $30K

BWS Conan #7 p. 1 splash - $28K

BWS Savage Tales #1 Conan pages - several available in the $15-$16.5K range

BWS Pandora's Box painting "not less than a hundred [thousand]" (heard from another collector)

BWS Conan - various pages for $7,500 to $9,000

Graphic Collectibles:

Romita ASM #156 cover - $22K

Romita Jr. X-Men #185 cover - $15.5K

Art Adams X-Men/New Mutants pin-up from 1989 (superb) - $25K

Mignola Batman #700 cover - $7,500

Kirby JIM #110 p. 10 - $12K

Miller DKR (1986) #3 pages - $13K (p. 5), $26K (p. 13)

Heritage:

Byrne X-Men #139 page (Hulk #181 recap): $25,000+ estimate

Kirby TOS splash - $35,000+ estimate

McFarlane Marvel Tales cover with the X-Men and Spidey on it - $100,000+ estimate

Didn't see much else new at the other dealers, though Burkey is getting some new stuff in tomorrow in trade apparently.

Overheard quote of the day: "Your reputation precedes you." - Saul Zimmerman to Steve Donnelly

Best recounted quote of the day: "I got into comic art because it was cheaper than comics." - Pete Koch, as retold by a collector at dinner

Overheard quote of the day: "Your reputation precedes you." - Saul Zimmerman to Steve Donnelly

lol

;)

I had a great conversation with Rich Donnelly yesterday; he's been collecting OA forever and had some great stories/anecdotes to share (Hans K. also shared some cool stories about visiting the Kirby household back in the day). Both Rich and Steve went out of their way to make me feel welcome at their booth, which was appreciated (it might seem like a small thing, but you'd be surprised at what another collector termed to be some dealers' poor "bedside manner"). :blush:

All of the art on their massive wall was priced, and when I asked about some unmarked pages on their table, I didn't think the prices were unreasonable at all in the context of where other dealers are pricing their wares nowadays. In fact, I overheard Steve referring to "Burkey pricing" to come up with a price for something that Saul had inquired about. I also overheard another seller (didn't recognize him; he was carrying around a portfolio) and heard of another dealer making similar comments at the show about following Burkey's lead in aggressively pricing certain artwork. It's like an OA dealer's OPEC, and Burkey is Saudi Arabia - if he raises prices, the others will follow. As one collector I spoke to noted, "it seems like every dealer has something priced at $100-$150K at the show" (the implication being that Burkey's recent 6-figure listings have inspired other dealers to follow suit).

Before any dealers get in a huff, I'm not personally making any judgments at all here, and think people can price their artwork wherever and however they like. I'm just reporting on what people are saying and thinking at the show. (shrug)

thanks,

I feel bad whenever I buy something from Steve given what people say about him, but when comparable art comes up the pricing is similar. He does not like to budge an inch but always has for me, much more in his favor compared to my offer, still, he has some nice stuff

I always agree with Gene. His is a well-centered individual with a fair approach to people. I've known the Donnellys for 30 years and I have never had a negative experience with them in any fashion. If they want to ask a big price on something they own, that's their prerogative because it's their art. From 46 years in dealling collectible and having been at the top of the art game for more than a decade when I was in that business I can say unequivocally that everyone else who has art for sale be they dealers or collectors have no real differentiation to the Donnelly's philosophy where concerns prices, especially in the comics field where everyone (IMO) is equally outrageous. I have never seen anyone say "Well I think I can get $10,000, but I'll let you have it for $5000". Collectors are no less culpable in that attitude than dealers are.

Furthermore, if the Donnellys have some art that you want, but you won't pay their price, that does not make them bad people any more than a collector being in the same position. If you want it, pay the price. If you don't want to pay the price because of your own personal feelings, then suck it up and move on. No one forces anyone to buy from the Donnellys or Burkey or any other dealer or collector. You spend your money on comic art by choice, not necessity. Do your crying in private.

I think omega man is 100% correct-- these days are most large deals cash/trade or all trade? Higher prices factor this into account.

I have found Burkey easy to trade with-- sometimes it works out, sometimes not, but always painless and fun in fact!

If I'm paying ALL cash, I ask for a cash discount. I usually get it.

It's their art, they can ask any price they choose...as Rich pointed out...if we fans stopped being so emotional about art purchases (I'm including myself in this group), prices would be lower I think. But of course that's a major reason we buy art--it feeds the soul and emotions rise.

Rob

I've known the Donnellys for 30 years and I have never had a negative experience with them in any fashion. If they want to ask a big price on something they own, that's their prerogative because it's their art.

>snip<

Do your crying in private.

Can't agree.

If they want to price something 3x market or above, they should call a spade a spade and label the piece correctly:

NOT REALLY FOR SALE

(but hey! we might consider a trade for Byrne or Cockrum X-men, bring 'em along.)

Anything else is a cruel tease.

This is coming from a collector who has 1) no problem walking away laughing from an unfair price, and also 2) has had little objection to paying a reasonable premium to pieces coming out of a collection.

picture with prices will help the discussion as to fairness, having said that the last piece I got from Steve was at price X, he said it is going up in price by (insert four figure amount) for the con.

Cant agree more, its their art, they can price it at what they want, for the comic books you just go elsewhere you will find it cheaper, the art is the art, your stuck if you want it.

Thanks for the report Gene. I recall seeing the McSpidey # 8 cover priced at $35K a few years ago at SDCC. My how the market has changed. lol.

I heard Romitaman moved the Steranko Shield # 3 cover on preview night.

I hope to hear more as the show continues.

Enjoy.

Cheers!

N.

This is coming from a collector who has 1) no problem walking away laughing from an unfair price, and also 2) has had little objection to paying a reasonable premium to pieces coming out of a collection.

what's reasonable to one person is outrageous to another. who says they aren't being reasonable and you're the one being outrageous?

some objectivity is the necessary element

nobody forces you to buy anything. If you don't want to spend your money at Wal Mart.. don't go there.

if you feel you have to have that $1100 pair of LeBron sneakers and no matter how much you think they're overpriced you only have yourself to blame if you aren't happy, but to say that someone else must lower their price so you can be happy buying isn't an option.

It's their art.. if you don't like the price.. just keep walking and talk with your feet.

If a collector's gripe is "but that's the piece I always wanted, but the price is crazy." then it's too bad for you. Let me know when I can decide how much I want to pay you for something you own, regardless of your own feelings for what you want to get.

comic art & comic books and movie posters (which are my main thing) are as far from an essential need that having a complaint is like being bothered if it's 114 degrees when you live in the desert. You can always move somewhere that it's only 80 in the summer if that's what you want. This isn't the same as buying gasoline and Exxon wants $20 a gallon

I heard Romitaman moved the Steranko Shield # 3 cover on preview night.

Cheers!

N.

Do you know if it sold at the $100K he was asking?

Trade but great stuff, some of which he's already sold.